Critique Sunset At The Lake

Name
caitlin
Edit My Images
No
I've had a chance to have a play around with the images I'd taken at the lake the other evening and I would love to know what you all think of them and what I could perhaps do better as I'm going again tomorrow evening and would love to see what I could come up with after some tips!

1.jpg 2.jpg IMG_1194.jpg

Personally for me number three is the one, as it has the interest in the sky. Number one and two feel like there is something missing in the sky, and that the lake seems to dip down on the left hand side. I wonder what three would look like with a little bit removed from the bottom so the treeline is not across the middle of the frame.

I agree and would probably say that 3 is my favourite with the stronger colours coming through in the sky!

I cropped it just so I could see what it'd be like without that darker shadow running through the bottom of the image, any better?ed.jpg

Number 3 is my pick, you could really do with a focal point or anchor in these shots. I guess there isn't a jetty or dingy tied up somewhere that you could pull into the shot? Or perhaps some wild foul that could be tempted with some bread. Just a thought. If you can't pick up a focal point maybe get the sun in the shot just as its kissing the tops of the trees on the opposite bank.
Try different angles perhaps lower to see if you can enhance the reflections. If you have a tripod try a few long exposures.

Yes, differently prefer it more.

Yes that is a stronger image, nice light.
P.S. Nice Gannet @Suomi .... 849 squadron? I was on the Ark Royal with 892 squadron.

Thankyou to you both! I was hunting about for a focal point but it's quite an empty lake other than a kayak store with a jetty coming out but didn't like how those images came out and couldn't get the same effect with the sky! I'm going to be there abit longer tomorrow and it's 5 miles right around so I'm going to try different angles and experiment based on what I have here. I didn't have my tripod with me last time, it'll 100% be coming with me tomorrow so I can try other things too!

Thankyou for your comments

Thanks Steve. Not sure if it is 849 as it now resting at Duxford in their Air and Sea display and when I was there it was pretty much tucked in a corner. Until you see them in real life I don't think people appreciate how tall a Gannet is.

Thankyou to you both! I was hunting about for a focal point but it's quite an empty lake other than a kayak store with a jetty coming out but didn't like how those images came out and couldn't get the same effect with the sky! I'm going to be there abit longer tomorrow and it's 5 miles right around so I'm going to try different angles and experiment based on what I have here. I didn't have my tripod with me last time, it'll 100% be coming with me tomorrow so I can try other things too!

Thankyou for your comments
It's a fair size lake then! I guess if it's local it will give you plenty of scope, especially in the winter. Sunrise when the mist is rising off the water would look great too.
It's a good photographic resource to have if its nearby.
Good luck with your shoot !

Thanks Steve. Not sure if it is 849 as it now resting at Duxford in their Air and Sea display and when I was there it was pretty much tucked in a corner. Until you see them in real life I don't think people appreciate how tall a Gannet is.
They stand pretty tall don't they especially with the wings folded, and those contra rotating props can give you a nasty hair cut:eek: it has a big old engine in it too a Double Mamba if I remember right. I was in 892 on Phantoms myself .... Happy days! Must make a point of visiting Duxford!
Cheers Steve

Back