Sunset on the coast

That is a very fine image in my view, love the range of colours and the rocks in the foreground. I'm guessing you used a big ND value to capture this?

That's an absolutely superb shot Richard. I like the lead in lines in the foreground towards some gorgeous colours in the sky. I really must get a 3 stop to give me more of a range between my 1 stop and 10 stop ND's.

Is it a Lee you use? I've got my eye on a set they do that has 1, 2 & 3 stop filters.

Question from a noob....

What is ND value? and what does 3 stop hard grad at 10 seconds mean?

Superb picture by the way, kind of thing I want to aspire to one day :)

Lovely surreal image....very "Lord of the Rings" :)

Question from a noob....

What is ND value? and what does 3 stop hard grad at 10 seconds mean?

Superb picture by the way, kind of thing I want to aspire to one day :)

ND + Neutral density. A filter that lowers the amount of light entering the lens without (in theory) changing the colour balance. Using one allows longer exposures in bright light.

ND Graduated is the same thing, but graduated across the filter so the brighter light at the top, in this case, is reduced to balance against the darker foreground. It balances the exposure.

Hard grad has a very short transition between clear and the ND part of the filter. A soft grad has a wider transition.

The 10 seconds is the exposure time.

HTH.

that is lovely ! i never find the places to go to get stuf like these...

Wow. Love the purple colour in the sky. Beautiful stuff

That's an absolutely superb shot Richard. I like the lead in lines in the foreground towards some gorgeous colours in the sky. I really must get a 3 stop to give me more of a range between my 1 stop and 10 stop ND's.

Is it a Lee you use? I've got my eye on a set they do that has 1, 2 & 3 stop filters.

These were done with Hitech Filters (i have a full set for sale in the classified sections). I do have some Lee Filters but I find the Hitech ones as good as them, and much cheaper.

These were done with Hitech Filters (i have a full set for sale in the classified sections). I do have some Lee Filters but I find the Hitech ones as good as them, and much cheaper.
Cheers Richard. We us both Lee and Hitech although we've found the Lee 10 stop is far superior in the colour balance department.

Sorry for being a noob again, but I assume as the camera's are DSLR's you can see the graduation through the eyepiece?

Sorry for being a noob again, but I assume as the camera's are DSLR's you can see the graduation through the eyepiece?
You can, but it is difficult to judge, especially with small viewfinders like on APS-C (crop) frame camera's. Liveview is better. Alignment with the horizon is critical, expect to make a lot of mistakes before you get perfect technique.

yeah, the one I'm getting first is an APS-C type sensor (Canon 600D) so I guess I could use live view....

Also, good thing about digital is, you can take as many as you need (unless the sun goes down first lol) :LOL:

yeah, the one I'm getting first is an APS-C type sensor (Canon 600D) so I guess I could use live view....

Also, good thing about digital is, you can take as many as you need (unless the sun goes down first lol) :LOL:

I wouldn't use liveview into the sun, maybe it could damage the sensor. You don't have to practice at sunrise/sunset with the ND's, you can practice anytime it's daylight outside, the image doesn't even matter. Check it on the PC. Murphy's law says that if you wait until the perfect sunset to practice, you'll cock it up.

I wouldn't use liveview into the sun, maybe it could damage the sensor. You don't have to practice at sunrise/sunset with the ND's, you can practice anytime it's daylight outside, the image doesn't even matter. Check it on the PC. Murphy's law says that if you wait until the perfect sunset to practice, you'll cock it up.

Haha, yeah most probably.

But I don't see how using liveview into the sun can damage the sensor - but then again, what do I know, I'm still very much a noob :)

Last edited:
Gotta love that EF24 f3.5 L II TSE lens Richard. Nice to see it being put to such good use.

Back