Sunset over Mersey

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

Had a trip to the top of the Liverpool Anglican Cathedral last night with my brother Peterdow5. Took quite a number of shots however here's the best of the bunch. I have done some PP on them like noise reduction on LR4 however I know they're not quite right yet. Any tips on PP I've got Photoshop CS5, LR4 and Aperture 3. It was quite misty up there last night as you can tell, is there anything I can do to recover from this? hoping to go back up there soon when we get a nice clear evening (on a Thursday when it's open late night). Any advice for the re-visit?

Sunset over Mersey by Alan Dow, on Flickr

Sunset over Mersey 2 by Alan Dow, on Flickr

Sunset over Liver Buildings by Alan Dow, on Flickr

Thanks for taking the time out to view my photos, and hopefully giving feedback!

Cheers Alan

Hi Alan,

Nice shots, I do like how the liverpool skyline is so diverse these days. With regards to PP, if you shot raw you may be able to recover some detail using a combination of fill and contrast, then maybe a dab of recovery. Shooting into the sun like that I would have been tempted to dial up the exposure compensation, then recover in PP, or take a 3 shot bracket and go for a pseudo HDR like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/26295173@N04/5870049406/

Regarding the re-visit polarizing filter may help creating more contrast in the foreground and a Grad would obviously help. Or a couple of exposures blended together one for the foreground one for the sky.

ah5168 said:
Regarding the re-visit polarizing filter may help creating more contrast in the foreground and a Grad would obviously help. Or a couple of exposures blended together one for the foreground one for the sky.

Cheers AH5168 for your advice. I did have a polarising filter in my kit bag! But as a flaming noob it didn't even cross my mind to get it it out n use it! Lol. Will do next time though!

Last edited:
Back