Sunset Poldhu Cove.Cornwall

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Sunsets taken at Poldhu Cove during last week's visit.

6712tx.jpg

2j0gg9u.jpg

mc5clx.jpg

racm02.jpg

I come from the Isle of Wight originally and the sunsets there were always amazing. In stockport now and they don't have the same effect haha

No,you're right, they're not are they Lol. I know because .I used to live near Northwich and we could see Jodrel Bank (20 miles across the Cheshire Plain) when the dish had the sun on it. Just a bit south of you. I've googled 'why are sunsets better by the sea than inland' but no answers.I'll keep trying though.:)

Great images of Poldhu I was there on Sunday and Today and everyday the view changes but is always stunning. I only live 10 minutes away so its nice to go down there when the sea is boiling as well, as a storm rolls in. I really like the images they have captured the place well. You can also see the house on the cliff which used to be a Hotel and where Marconi stayed and in the fields behind he carried out his experiments to transmit radio waves to beat the curvature of the earth, which he did on the 12th Dec 1901, a great place with loads of history.

Glad you liked them,thanks. We go twice a year and stay in the grounds of the house on the opposite cliff..Trewoon. We'll be back there over christmas and the New Year and again in June. I need to find another sunset location though as I've done quite a few there but with sunsets what looks like being a good one turns out not so good ands vice versa so journeys can be wasted. We keep meaning to visit the Marconi Centre but forget.Lol. I expect ,as usual, because it's on the door-step. We also take a cliff walk and have coffee at the Pollurian Hotel and Sunday lunch at the Mullion Cove hotel. It's a great place to live.

A note of nostalgia for me - I took one of my earliest photographs from a bedroom window in the hotel, and it was the same sun setting over the same sea, but 40 years ago, the summer of 1976. My late grandfather had just bought himself a new SLR, a Pentax K2, and the shot was taken on that camera. Many years later he gave it to me - I still have it. I have the photograph too, and the similarity to these is striking, though I regret that it wasn't as good as these are. A wonderful part of the world, full of memories.

i like no 1 only
it does what it says on the tin...its the big picture and you kept the waves more fluid
and encompasses several compositional pointers to hold it together
its not all about the sun...which some sunsets are...which is a pity since the sun isnt that interesting
its what it does....do you notice it sets left to right?
in the southern hemisphere it does the opposite...if one is far enough down...cape town for instance
cheers
geof

Last edited:
A note of nostalgia for me - I took one of my earliest photographs from a bedroom window in the hotel, and it was the same sun setting over the same sea, but 40 years ago, the summer of 1976. My late grandfather had just bought himself a new SLR, a Pentax K2, and the shot was taken on that camera. Many years later he gave it to me - I still have it. I have the photograph too, and the similarity to these is striking, though I regret that it wasn't as good as these are. A wonderful part of the world, full of memories.

Thanks,Toby.That's a nice story and I'm pleased it's brought back such fond memories for you.It's a lovely part of the world and we'll be back there over christmas then the end of May.It seems from what you say that you aren't aware that the hotel is now a nursing home..at £1200 a week !I I expect that's because of the view Lol.

i like no 1 only
it does what it says on the tin...its the big picture and you kept the waves more fluid
and encompasses several compositional pointers to hold it together
its not all about the sun...which some sunsets are...which is a pity since the sun isnt that interesting
its what it does....do you notice it sets left to right?
in the southern hemisphere it does the opposite...if one is far enough down...cape town for instance
cheers
geof

Hi Geoff. From gardens to the sea. Both relaxing places to be. :)

One day a few years ago there was a professional photographer staying in one of the other cottages in the grounds and he kindly allowed me to go with him on a couple of evening shoots and gave me some good tips on what to include and to angle the camera down in some shots too. I felt ok as I had the same 5D11 and lenses (Canon's 17-40 & 24-105) as he had..so I expect he thought it worth his time and effort. Re. the left to right movement,yes,I watch it closely but more so the sky to see if there might be a good sunset but most times when you think it's going to be good it isn't and vice versa. I'm not too happy with the coral filter (Lee) I used for the last two but it's the only shaded one I have,the grad didn't do much for it (3-stop). but it needs a filter of some kind when the sun is directly in view. I need to look at that as I like a shot of the sun when it's just above the horizon about to disappear but I take your point that sunsets aren't all about the sun.What I like is that golden light 30 minutes before and the after-glow..you know that period when everyone has left the scene thinking it's all over Lol. Sometimes, if there's someone there I do say that if he/she has time there should be a lovely sky coming along.

Re. the southern hemisphere I've been trying to imagine it setting right to left..difficult to conceive . In summer, there in the cove, the setting sun is much further to the east..ie to the right (over Penzance further round the bay) and would be out of view from my position because of the cliffs. I'm checking out some places other than this cove as most of my sunsets are in that cove or on the cliffs above but it's so handy to just nip down there from our cottage above.

Thanks for commenting. :)

Hi Geoff. From gardens to the sea. Both relaxing places to be. :)

One day a few years ago there was a professional photographer staying in one of the other cottages in the grounds and he kindly allowed me to go with him on a couple of evening shoots and gave me some good tips on what to include and to angle the camera down in some shots too. I felt ok as I had the same 5D11 and lenses (Canon's 17-40 & 24-105) as he had..so I expect he thought it worth his time and effort. Re. the left to right movement,yes,I watch it closely but more so the sky to see if there might be a good sunset but most times when you think it's going to be good it isn't and vice versa. I'm not too happy with the coral filter (Lee) I used for the last two but it's the only shaded one I have,the grad didn't do much for it (3-stop). but it needs a filter of some kind when the sun is directly in view. I need to look at that as I like a shot of the sun when it's just above the horizon about to disappear but I take your point that sunsets aren't all about the sun.What I like is that golden light 30 minutes before and the after-glow..you know that period when everyone has left the scene thinking it's all over Lol. Sometimes, if there's someone there I do say that if he/she has time there should be a lovely sky coming along.

Re. the southern hemisphere I've been trying to imagine it setting right to left..difficult to conceive . In summer, there in the cove, the setting sun is much further to the east..ie to the right (over Penzance further round the bay) and would be out of view from my position because of the cliffs. I'm checking out some places other than this cove as most of my sunsets are in that cove or on the cliffs above but it's so handy to just nip down there from our cottage above.

Thanks for commenting. :)

after the sun sets and the green flash has done its thing...the light from the sun still reaches the canopy...this is sunset country before the terminator arrives
i like the powerful cloud sunsets when the sun has just dropped off..no exposure problems then and the eye isnt dictated by a singular light source usually in the least photogenic part of the frame..you will get this cloud burst of joy reflected as well in a calm and steady sea/lake "reflecting an image of heaven"

i will need to make a little foray to the hayle towans one calm evening and try to get this...

cheers
geof

Thanks,Toby.That's a nice story and I'm pleased it's brought back such fond memories for you.It's a lovely part of the world and we'll be back there over christmas then the end of May.It seems from what you say that you aren't aware that the hotel is now a nursing home..at £1200 a week !I I expect that's because of the view Lol.

Yes, I was aware, it has been a nursing home for many years now. Back in the 1960s the hotel had a formidable manageress, Mrs Shoesmith, she ran the place with a rod of iron, and not a great deal of humour. My father used to enjoy rousing her up by letting his labradors jump into the (very cold, outside) swimming pool, indeed any antics that would stir her up. There was a head waiter called 'Willie', who was marvellous to us youngsters, taught us how to lay tables, fold napkins and do silver service. He went onto the Polurrian when Poldhu closed, and I think served out his time there. I go back whenever I can. We take a cottage over on the Helford a couple of times a year.

Number Two is my favourite, the Horizons in the middle and the rule of thirds goes out the window but it works well as the sky is lovely & saturated along with the dark foreground making it jump out

Yes, I was aware, it has been a nursing home for many years now. Back in the 1960s the hotel had a formidable manageress, Mrs Shoesmith, she ran the place with a rod of iron, and not a great deal of humour. My father used to enjoy rousing her up by letting his labradors jump into the (very cold, outside) swimming pool, indeed any antics that would stir her up. There was a head waiter called 'Willie', who was marvellous to us youngsters, taught us how to lay tables, fold napkins and do silver service. He went onto the Polurrian when Poldhu closed, and I think served out his time there. I go back whenever I can. We take a cottage over on the Helford a couple of times a year.

Oh, the outdoor swimming pool. I have stood by it to get a different angle. I tried to envisage what it must have been like in its hey-day but couldn't as it's in such a state. Mrs. Shoemith sounds formidable. Lol… as they were in those days. We walk to the Pollurian along the cliff top and have a coffee there.

Our host tells us of large wooded areas around Helford where I should be able to get shots of birds. We'll probably do that at the end-of-May visit. We travel down on Friday (return Jan 6th.) and will run into storm 1 as we get there. There's another storm coming in on Saturday too. saturday hight tide 1.30pm then Sunday 2.30pm so just right really. I'll keep Porthleven in mind as last time I went there was scaffolding around that community centre..I don't think it's a church anymore. The famous shots of storm seas. I go into the town and out the other side up the steep hill, stop at the top,get out and go left through a bush alongside a bungalow and to a small area overlooking the town and breakwater. It's safe enough as you can stand well back from the edge. I use a 100-400 but this time it will be the MK. 11.

Thanks for your interest and response.

Number Two is my favourite, the Horizons in the middle and the rule of thirds goes out the window but it works well as the sky is lovely & saturated along with the dark foreground making it jump out

Thanks,Peter. Number 2 is my favourite too. There's a hint of crepuscular in there too. It has a punch about it and as you say, the contrast makes it. Sometimes having the horizon plonk in the middle is unavoidable but it works this time.

Upon reflection I think the last one should be deleted..from my Lightroom too. I had to use the Lee coral filter and to me it looks 'not quite right'. The second one was taken with a regular 3-stop (.9) grad.

Back