Sunset reflections

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, so I've just got back into photography and this is last nights shot. Still getting the hang of the camera and settings all over again.

Want to improve so more than happy to accept criticism. :)
Hopefully the link works as I cant work out how to share my pic any other way

Reflectedsunset by Jinx Photography, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Techincially its not bad at all - I'd suggest a slight exposure lift - in terms of composition I think getting forward of the wall and the less foreground just going with the reflection would have been the way to go, but we are all different.

Maybe moving around the pond to the left which would reduce the amount of trees in the image top left which don't add much to the composition.This would also move church spire into the 3rds intersection. You would then perhaps be able to catch more of the sky reflected in the water. Location has nice potential.

Thank you all for your responses. I will update the post in a few days when I've had another shot at it. Was hoping the wall would frame but not sure it worked, when I tried to compose it I tried lower down where the wall properly framed the shot but it meant losing out on the water and reflections which killed the shot. Will try stepping ahead of the wall next time.

I agree with Steve you needed to get close to the edge of the water if possible and probably quite low to get more reflection

Thanks guys, definitely going to have another go at this. I'm really struggling with composition at the moment so back to the books for a bit I think.

Thanks guys, definitely going to have another go at this. I'm really struggling with composition at the moment so back to the books for a bit I think.
Maybe back to the boots?

Pair of wellies, get in the pond! Allow ripples to calm. Aim.....

Fire!

Maybe back to the boots?

Pair of wellies, get in the pond! Allow ripples to calm. Aim.....

Fire!

Not sure if I could get away with getting in, there are houses just across a country path behind me in this shot. Curtains were twitching just being there could definitely get closer and lower though. Which third line would you sit the horizon on?

Not sure if I could get away with getting in, there are houses just across a country path behind me in this shot. Curtains were twitching just being there could definitely get closer and lower though. Which third line would you sit the horizon on?
Don't worry about third lines or curtain twitchers. Get in and do it!

I think the location looks to have potential and this is a good first effort. Not too dissimilar to a small and on the face of it unimpressive pond I had success with a couple of years ago, I bet this would get early morning mist on it at times which could work very well too

Back