Sunset Surfers.

Edit My Images
Yes
Had about an hour to waste the other evening, whilst trying to get my son to sleep, so took him to the beach, I was as ever armed with my 40d, 70-200mm f/2.8 and 2x converter and was able to grab these few shots between rescuing the pram from sinking int he shoreline wet sand, keep him moving and the setting sun out of his eye's.

2492987244_0f7475ff6e_o.jpg

2492167591_9f3dec04cc_o.jpg

2492987552_6880a96efc_o.jpg

2492987032_3936560281_o.jpg

2492166289_940c1072b8_o.jpg

I like these a lot! They have an abstract feel about them somehow. Almost looks like he's walking on water in the first few and the last one has a nice 'reflective' end of day feel.

Cheers for the comments guys. It was ashame the wave in front on the first shot had not broken soon and would have been lower as he was right on the nose of his board in that shot. It wasn't the classic hanging ten soul arch pose but pretty close.

Nice series, this is a type of photography I wouldn't mind having a go at myself - I'll be in Abersoch, North Wales for the "Wakefest" event so I might give it a try !!

simon

Some great shots! Saunton (I presume) lends itself well to endless summer type sundown shots of the longboarders. For me the hanging 5 pic is awesome but maybe a landscape orientation would have improved things a tiny tad ... all IMHO.

Nice series, this is a type of photography I wouldn't mind having a go at myself - I'll be in Abersoch, North Wales for the "Wakefest" event so I might give it a try !!

simon

Good luck with that mate, just make sure you get a good vantage point. Even better why not try and blag a ride on a tow boat and hang off the back??

Some great shots! Saunton (I presume) lends itself well to endless summer type sundown shots of the longboarders. For me the hanging 5 pic is awesome but maybe a landscape orientation would have improved things a tiny tad ... all IMHO.

Yes it is Saunton, it's so easy to spot isn't it?
I did not take any landscape orientation shots, but a quick play in lightroom with the crop tool could produce some.. Will have a play later.

Cracking shots mate - they are hard to get right....(y)

I used a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 lens with 2x converter attached on my 40d, which in real terms with the crop factor of the sensor size is approx 600mm at closet zoom, did feel like I could have done with more zoom, ended up standing right in the shore line to get in close, luckily it was small, any bigger and they would have been lost in the frame.
Also taking a monopod would have helped too, and not taking my son would have given me more time to concentrate on the surf and what was going on.
So it was hard but not if that makes sense.

Cheers for the comments

Fantastic! Love these! Especially the last one. Well done you!

I like the last pic alot - its a pity the top of the shot is so dark, so I'd consider cropping it a little, but love the colour and feel.

(re longboarders @ croyde. There was one the other day picking off the best waves (3ft ish) by sitting right at the back and getting on them before anyone else even had a chance. At least he was taking the waves and not f***ing them up - it's always gut wrenching to see someone paddle into a great wave and then wipe out. Especially when you hold off paddling into them)

Great shots. My favourite being the last one. You can almost feel the exhilaration of the surf.

It has certainly inspired me to hit the beach for shots this summer.

Back