Super Blood Moon Composite.

Dal

Is always right
Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm shattered now but very much enjoyed photographing this tonight. Such an amazing sight to see.

Equipment used:
Nikon D300
Sigma 100-300mm f4
Sigma 1.4x TC
Manfrotto carbon fibre tripod.
Cam Ranger.
Composed in photoshop

Settings-

First image:
ISO 200
f5.6
1/4000th

Last image:
ISO 3200 (might have been 1600, can't remember)
f5.6
1/2th

Last edited:
Nice series

Last edited:
Great stuff, well done. Wish I could have stayed up to watch it but I've got a big day ahead of me today.

Fantastic composite.
I think I might have enough to do something like this too but it would not be as great as yours.

Yes great job. Nice idea on the presentation.

Gaz

Very nice, a great set of shots showing the various stages, yes, bet you are shattered...

As said, good as far as it goes BUT it only seems to cover half the event, from the fully lit Moon to totality. IMO the next 16 frames are needed to tell the whole story.

Thanks all. I do feel pretty tired and cold now lol.

Nod, I know it's only the first half. Couldn't stay up for the entire show I'm afraid.

Bugger, I stayed up the wrong night (Sat/Sun) just a big moon & no eclipse

Last edited:
As said, good as far as it goes BUT it only seems to cover half the event, from the fully lit Moon to totality. IMO the next 16 frames are needed to tell the whole story.

LOL, it was quite a long wait for the second half to start, it was starting to get light before it finished.

That's pretty good, a wee bit too misty up here:mad:

LOL, it was quite a long wait for the second half to start, it was starting to get light before it finished.
I was checking the Times and thought it might have been too light. I just couldn't stay up any longer. Did you get the entire eclipse start to finish?

Thanks Chris. appreciate your comment. Playing with my new Nikon 70:200mm 2.8 lens. Starting to get some results

Hi Dal. Could you please let me know where I can change the setting for editing my pictures. Many thanks

Great set , any chance of posting what equipment, settings you used so I can get ready for the next one in 2033.

Well I got up too which is a minor miracle. It was not as simple as I thought and Im a tad disappointed really. I was using my Sigma 150-500 on the tripod but as hard as I tightened it up, it suffered some creep. Its a Manfrotto CF with the MF ball head. My hands are small to so had a few problems but this was one of the better ones:(
Lunar Eclipse by Bykerlass, on Flickr

I was checking the Times and thought it might have been too light. I just couldn't stay up any longer. Did you get the entire eclipse start to finish?

Yes, I went right through from moon rise to it setting. If its any consolation, the second half was not so good and the moisture in the air as dawn approached was a nightmare, with lenses misting up. Going to take a while to work through all the pics, but no rush for that, the experience of seeing such a memorable spectacle was certainly worth it :)

Great set , any chance of posting what equipment, settings you used so I can get ready for the next one in 2033.
I've updated the first post with the information and settings used.

There will be more blood moons before then, the one in 2033 is a super blood moon.

Yes, I went right through from moon rise to it setting. If its any consolation, the second half was not so good and the moisture in the air as dawn approached was a nightmare, with lenses misting up. Going to take a while to work through all the pics, but no rush for that, the experience of seeing such a memorable spectacle was certainly worth it :)
I spent most of my time fiddling with settings and working in Photoshop so I didn't sit back and look at the moon with my own eyes much. Was an incredible sight though.

Hi Dal. Could you please let me know where I can change the setting for editing my pictures. Many thanks

Malcolm, if you click on your user name (top right of the page), you'll get a few options. Select "Personal Details" and somewhere in that list of options is the "Edit My Images" choice.

BTW, Darren (and others!), for this eclipse, I couldn't stay awake for any of it, hence no shots from me and even when I did for one a few years ago, I shot it as full, half gone and at totality - no chance of me doing an all nighter for a complete sequence either!

Back