Support for Long lens and Gimbals in small spaces, such as wooden hides.

Name
Glynn
Edit My Images
No
When using large lens and gimbals, in many hides and small spaces, a full size tripod is not suitable. Of course, I can use a simple bean bag, but often, I still want to be able to use the gimbal to its full use and range of movement. By definition, small 'table top' tripods are not 'man' enough to support this kind of weight.

I had a 'eureka' moment this afternoon for when i'm shooting with my prime lens and gimbal in these situations and here is my solution, which I knocked up in my garage in around 15 minutes. - I have already tested it on a shallow shelf in a local hide for stability and it works perfectly!

Simply position a 3/8th bolt up the inside of the support tube (a hole already exists and just use spacers) and 'bob's your uncle'. The height can easily be adjusted using the existing holes and they can support up to 2 tonnes!

I happened to have a set of these axle stands in my garage, from years ago, but they can be bought brand new from Halfords (UK) for just £18.00 per pair!

Anyway, here it is, and I hope that some of you might find it useful.

IMG_0544 (2) by Glynn Hobbs, on Flickr

my stepfather uses a gimabl with a bowl arrangement..... cant remember where he got it from ... but thats brilliant idea though

I’m pretty sure there is a commercially made flat plate to fit most gimbals , yours is a good idea but not the sort of thing I would want to carry to and from a hide

I’m pretty sure there is a commercially made flat plate to fit most gimbals , yours is a good idea but not the sort of thing I would want to carry to and from a hide
Yes, AFAIK they are called Hide Plates..,..though also AFAIK even with the max 2 extenders they don't lift the gimbal up as high as the above novel method.

Looks good to me as long as the hide shelf is stable. How many spacers were required?

I just found an old 3/8th bolt and cut it down to size with a few washers to space it correctly. - It weighs around the same as my big Gitzo, so no problem attaching it to my camera backpack. - Better still, it cost me nothing, as all the bits were in the garage. It will work with most window shelves that I have come across and is much easier, than trying to hand-hold a big lens for long periods. - You could buy all the bits for less than £20.00

Might be a bit 'heath robinson', but functions perfectly!

Back