Surely this cant be right!!! - Images added

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been using a canon 1ds mk3 for the last few months and i have always thought the images that it was producing were very soft. I took the body to a canon repair centre to have it checked out and they came back saying that the camera was fine.
It was only today after looking at my latest set of images that i again though this cant be right so have done a comparison test against my 30D. I took a shot, tripod mounted and using the same lens (100 2.8), same settings etc. I was very careful not to move the tripod when swapping over the cameras. The results were that the image from the 30D was quite a bit sharper. I asked my g/f to take a look and tell me which one she thought was the sharpest image and she picked out the one taken on the 30D.
Surely this cant be right, can it?? i applied some unsharp mask to both images and the 30D was still the better, sharper looking image.

Should i take the camera back to Canon and ask for them to take another look? Has anyone else experienced any issues like this?

yeah there was a thread on here some months back. The test was between the 1ds MK? 30d, 40d and 5d

Might be an idea to try with one of your L lenses at different focal lengths, i know my 2x ext used to give usable images on my other cameras using the 300&600mm lenses, but i can't get a sharp shot using the 1Ds mk3.

I have also tried my 24-70L on it and get the same results. I do tend not to use the central focus point though, and thanks to the link from dcash, looks like this is a known issue to Canon. So at this point it will be going back to the service centre in the next week.

Thought i would show examples on the quality of image i am getting. The top two images are from the 1ds mk3, the one on the left has had unsharp mask applied at 150%, radius 1, threshold 0, the one on the right is straight from camera. The bottom 2 images are from the 30D, the same settings applied.

test_shots_copy.jpg

As you can see there is a considerable difference.

Back