Surprise find in the loft.

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
Clearing out the loft space and delving into boxes that haven't seen the light of day since 2005. Found a film camera and a couple of lenses.It's a Canon EOS 500N with a Canon EF 80-200 f 4.5-5.6 ii
Couple of spare batteries in a bag and it works. Now have to decide what to do with it. It's certainly not on anyone's radar to buy. Put a film through it?

Can't remember buying it. I know we have a Canon AE 1 Prog away to a photography student as well as all our developing gear.

AND I found a polarising filter. YEAH!

I can't recall fully but if the polarising filter is old, as in from film days, it is most likely a linear polariser but with digital cameras they need a circular polariser. I stand to be corrected....as always if my recollection is incorrect :thinking:

I can't recall fully but if the polarising filter is old, as in from film days, it is most likely a linear polariser but with digital cameras they need a circular polariser. I stand to be corrected....as always if my recollection is incorrect :thinking:

Yes, the linears can throw the light meter off in a digital.

Clearing out the loft space and delving into boxes that haven't seen the light of day since 2005. Found a film camera and a couple of lenses.It's a Canon EOS 500N with a Canon EF 80-200 f 4.5-5.6 ii
Couple of spare batteries in a bag and it works. Now have to decide what to do with it. It's certainly not on anyone's radar to buy. Put a film through it?
Put a film through it, add a standard zoom for £50 if it doesn't have one, get a 90s haircut, and see if you can find a Nokia 3210 in the back of a cupboard!

It's a good platform for adapters, too, including glassless M42...

I'm guessing you don't have any fancy EF glass kicking around to strap on the front of it?

Get some Ortho 80, or Acros II and go enjoy the sunshine in B&W :)

I'm pretty sure I read something similar to that somewhere, but also I read that this only applies to DSLRs and not Mirrorless. Something to do with the light being split by a partly silvered reflex mirror with a DSLR to the metering system wherever that may be. So apparently a linear polarising filter works perfectly with a Mirrorless digital camera. I too stand to be corrected. ;)

I recall that, if your DSLR used a beamsplitter to provide light to the meter, linear polarising filters would render the reading inaccurate. You had to use a circular polarising filter. There were, however, other ways for them meter sensor to be supplied with light, so which kind of filter you needed depended on the camera model.

Calling them circular polarising filters confused matters, because people would figure, 'well - of course it's circular - it's on a round lens :). However, it was the polarisation that had to be circular, and the shape of the filter was irrelevant.

Last edited:
Back