Critique Suzuki Swift sport

It's a bit more than just a photo of a car but I always think these kind of images need some dramatic light.

The sky really spoils this, there is a little colour but it's very flat, with no detail. In different light, this would be a different image, even if composed exactly the same.

It could possibly be a little sharper on the car too but the DOF fall of works well. It might just be me but I feel the road takes my eye away from and past the car and leads me to the distant building.

This isn't my genre, so I may be talking pants and I'm sure somebody will be along soon that can add a little more.

Nice car though. (y)

Last edited:
It's a bit more than just a photo of a car but I always think these kind of images need some dramatic light.

The sky really spoils this, there is a little colour but it's very flat, with no detail. In different light, this would be a different image, even if composed exactly the same.

It could possibly be a little sharper on the car too but the DOF fall of works well. It might just be me but I feel the road takes my eye away from and past the car and leads me to the distant building.

This isn't my genre, so I may be talking pants and I'm sure somebody will be along soon that can add a little more.

Nice car though. (y)
Thanks Dale, I'm more car detailer than car photographer but thought I'd try, it was the location from the sunrise photo I uploaded a few days ago.

Thank you for the feedback, I will take note and try again at some point, I have a few more photos but not sure they look right ;)

Thanks again (y)

I'd have been tempted to keep the car on the road and jumped out to take the pics....
Makes it less like a parked car.

Last edited:
And as high a polish as the paintwork will take.

The light is a little boring.
I would normally apply a bit of steering lock so you can see more of the wheel itself, in this case I'd apply a bit of right hand down.
Thanks for feedback, this was a grab shot after some landscape photos, I hope to find a quiet road and try again.

Plenty of advice to take on board there, Gav. My two-pennyworth is that looking at the top of the hedge by your car and that house the light looks as though it would be really good had you stopped further back down the road, especially as it's sunrise.

Great photo and a good choice of a background! with just a few minor adjustments, this photo would be just about perfect (for my taste)
  • wait for sunset/sunrise with some clouds
  • use a telephoto lens (80-150mm range)
  • back up a bit more but using the same "frame"
  • car on the middle of the street, even on a 60° angle with the wheel turned slightly so you can see more of the rims
  • squat while taking the photo to get a lower perspective
  • make the background a little more blurry

I personally like it when photos are taking from another perspective than just the stand and shoot (eyelevel), go higher and it looks way better, go lower and it also looks way better.
I like the more "compressed" look that a telephoto lens gives, for car photography
Its good to see more of the car than just the front, you have the car on a little angle but I'd like to see a little more angle.

Then again, thats just me telling you to copy the photography style i like on cars.
But most important advice is to keep experimenting with diffrent angles and have fun with it ;)

Great photo and a good choice of a background! with just a few minor adjustments, this photo would be just about perfect (for my taste)
  • wait for sunset/sunrise with some clouds
  • use a telephoto lens (80-150mm range)
  • back up a bit more but using the same "frame"
  • car on the middle of the street, even on a 60° angle with the wheel turned slightly so you can see more of the rims
  • squat while taking the photo to get a lower perspective
  • make the background a little more blurry

I personally like it when photos are taking from another perspective than just the stand and shoot (eyelevel), go higher and it looks way better, go lower and it also looks way better.
I like the more "compressed" look that a telephoto lens gives, for car photography
Its good to see more of the car than just the front, you have the car on a little angle but I'd like to see a little more angle.

Then again, thats just me telling you to copy the photography style i like on cars.
But most important advice is to keep experimenting with diffrent angles and have fun with it ;)
Thank you, I will try a longer lens (y)

Plenty of advice to take on board there, Gav. My two-pennyworth is that looking at the top of the hedge by your car and that house the light looks as though it would be really good had you stopped further back down the road, especially as it's sunrise.
Thanks, I agree, there was no planning for the car, I was there early to catch the misty sunrise, then had a walk around and grabbed a few of the car while there, this was from the other side of the hedge less then an hour before :)

IMG_1614_upload-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Back