SVR railway

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Took a trip to Severn Valley Railway today and went to a spot close to Eardington Station.

Sir Keith Parks. 34053 Battle of Britain Class
350ma9d.jpg

GWR Class 2800
2uj2ert.jpg

25ury3p.jpg

1znmu0y.jpg

Last edited:
2 & 3 seem the most appropriate for the subject matter.

We are so used to seeing old subject matter depicted in sepia, but I suppose to someone in the 1930's they would retain a colour memory of the scene, which this would sort of depict. (I know the coaches are not quite right etc and it is a modern day scene).

Thanks both.Just thought I'd throw in a sepia for the 2800 ..as you say, Ian..seems appropriate for that type of engine but on the other hand maybe overdone. I have a friend in the US who asks me to send one in sepia when I send him steam loco photos..he's 76. There were some vintage carriages pulled by a diesel later but the diesel was awful..like one used to pull old grimy trucks around a yard….even my pal didn't photograph it and he's into diesels

Tim..I was told that the reason there are so many Bulleids about is that they all went to Barry for scrap and were left standing whereas the A4's went north and were immediately scrapped....a tragedy.You'd have thought that someone would have had the vision and appreciate their historical value.

I'll bear in mind your observation re. 'larger in the frame' . The Bulleid was at 84mm the 2800 58mm.However without standing in the exact same spot I think the 84mm was the nearest I could get and keep the whole of the train in the frame,I recall moving in and out to get that. The 58mm on the 2800 seems a bit off the mark though.

Excellent set of pictures. Due to visit the SVR I hope later on this year.

John,
Yes, the preservation industry has a lot to thank Dai for, though even that was luck at first, it was easier and more profitable to scrap the lines of wagons that he had, than the kettles that he had bought for scrapping.
Then once preservation took off, he realised he could make more selling them complete.
He did have a fair number of SR/GWR locos. It was a shame he scrapped the last of the North British Warships (Ark Royal) in 1980. That would have been a jewel for Hydraulic preservation
There are 6 preserved A4s (out of a class of 35, so not a bad percentage) of which 3 are operational (2 mainline, 1 spending it's last year before ticket expiry making the yard look untidy at Ropley ;) (1) )

(1) Nasty LNER loco in a southern shed.

Major cull of LNER motive power came in 1963 . Last A4 survivors headed to Scotland for use on the Glasgow Aberdeen services . Steam on the Southern Region ended July 1967 Dai Woodham was tendering for a lot of that

Thanks again all.I managed to get all six A4's in February of last year up at Shilden.

Tim.. Re: Dai…(give tha man a medal..lol) Almost sounds like the story with African (and other countries) wildlife. More money to be made by taking tourists to see them..carefully managed of course. This especially applies to whales too.

King..Drop me a line if you don't know exactly how to get to the location I was at. There are a few but this one is very good.On a sunny, warm day it's great to sit in the field and wait too.

Back