Swallows

Name
Noel
Edit My Images
Yes
Just taken these tonight. Struggled with them as they are fast little beggars. Any tips on how to improve them ?

SwallowC.jpg

Swallow4c.jpg

swallow3c.jpg

swallow2c.jpg

Swallow1c.jpg

Most of the time I'm grateful they are even in the frame!

Believe me, there were quite a few blank photos. I think part of the problem is my lens. It only goes to f4 so limits the speed v iso a bit. It's an old Minolta beeran 70-210. still good and sharp, but maybe not just fast enough for these types of shot.

Probably easier to get them perching, often one will hover just by a mate.
Not that I've managed it yet!

I think you've done very well to get those shots!
Their flight is so quick and erratic it's very difficult to track them.
They're far better than my attempts....which I daren't post! :LOL:

I think you've done very well to get those shots!
Their flight is so quick and erratic it's very difficult to track them.
They're far better than my attempts....which I daren't post! :LOL:

Thanks. You haven't seen all the photos that failed.

If they're anything like mine, several probably contained invisible birds? :LOL:

These little fellows are the most awkward blighters to photograph.

So worthwhile when the shots do work out, though! Their agility's truly something to marvel at - not only the rapid turns, but the way they'll skim across the tops - or sometimes even amidst - of the tall grasses in the fields. To be able to fly would be one thing, but to be able to fly like that.. !

Wish I could offer useful advise on how to improve the "keeper" rate, but I'm in the same boat as everyone else - try to track them, and hope my efforts satisfy the AF sensors.

why the massive copyright are you worried some one will use them?

Make sure the sun is behind you, wait for a day with decent light, use rear button focusing, try and shoot at 1/2000 sec, and stop down to f7.1 to give a greater depth of field, this gives some latitude to compensate for focus lagging / accuracy.

Here are an couple of examples, the light was not perfect but I was bored and they were all that were about.

Swift

298_069.jpg

Swallow

298_057.jpg

Back