Critique Swan photos

Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I'm a bit of a beginner when it comes to photography. I have a Nikon D3200 with a 70-300mm zoom lens. I've been playing around with it quite a bit but sometimes I feel as though I over edit my photos when I try to touch them up a bit. Below are two photos I have taken tonight whilst on a walk round my local pond tonight and I was wondering if anyone can tell me what I should do with the photos? Is there a certain program I should use to tweak them a bit? Also I'd like to know what people think of the photos themselves without any editing.

All criticism will be taken on board! Thanks

Last edited:
I like the first with the swan against the darker, stiller water with the full reflection. The white looks nicely exposed as far as I can tell. It's easy to burn out the white especially in sun. However I would give the swan a bit more space in front instead of plonking it in the middle of the frame. You could almost certainly improve it by a touch of sharpening and contrast, and the second you might think about cloning out the post on the left. I use Paintshop Pro for pp but most seem to use Lightroom and sometimes Photoshop. It's all about what you find easiest to use. You can download any of them for a free trial period. There are lots of tutorials etc available, for LR/PS anyway. Probably for PSP too except I've grown up with it so I've never used them.

Nice composition on No2

The whites are way over exposed, I would recommend Shutter speed or Aperture priority program, then dial in some Negative exposure compensation

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tips I will be taking them on board, the pond is really close by to where I live so it's easy for me to practice

Thanks for the tips I will be taking them on board, the pond is really close by to where I live so it's easy for me to practice

here's my effort- shot shutter speed priority with 2 stops of negative exposure compensation - bright sunlight in not the best for photographing white birds lol

DSC03277 by lesmoxonphotography, on Flickr

Les

I've always just used the Auto mode on my Nikon D3200 but if i'm going to improve I really need to play around with the settings more and I am going to try again with the shutter speed priority. I like that photo Lez, Swans are one of my favorite birds for sure.

Auto mode won't do it - not on a big white bird. Get up the display on your camera screen that shows the histogram. If when you preview the image you have black bits 'blinking' at you (assuming it's the same as Canon) you're overexposed and you need to take control. Don't forget the iso as well. If you leave that on auto the camera will compensate all the settings you put in. Put some time into it and you'll soon be getting it right.

The first one is swimming up hill. Clever thato_O

The first one is swimming up hill. Clever thato_O

I'm not sure if it looks like that because I don't use a tripod? Not sure...

I'm not sure if it looks like that because I don't use a tripod? Not sure...
Nothing to do with a tripod. It's just not level.

I've always just used the Auto mode on my Nikon D3200 but if i'm going to improve I really need to play around with the settings more and I am going to try again with the shutter speed priority. I like that photo Lez, Swans are one of my favorite birds for sure.

Auto just won't cut the mustard I'm afraid the camera will expose for the bright white of the Swan. Have a play it costs nothing

Jan has hit the nail on the head- I agree 100% :plus1: use a tripod in low light as the shutter speed will be slower than in bright sunshine- remember if possible to get a shutter speed equal to that of the focal length of the lens you're using

EG: - I shoot with a 600mm lens so I try to get to 1/750th sec at least - you shot these with a 70-300mm aim for at least 1/350th sec at the smallest aperture you can get whilst still in the correct exposure- if that makes any sense ? :D

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer the second composition wise, I agree with comments made above but also might suggest getting lower. Dress to get grubby and get on the ground to get closer to eye level when taking your shots, get on your belly if you need to :)

Hi, I went back to the same pond today and took some more photos. I tried what you said Lez and had my shutter speed at 1/320th sec, the weather wasn't great and like you say taking photos of a white bird isn't always easy. I don't think i've improved much with this photo but wondered what you guys think?

Last edited:
Back