Swan

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
While i was fishing, this swan was keeping an eye on me. Comments, whether good or bad are welcome. Be kind as this is only my second picture on here. LOL!
swanpicture.jpg
[/IMG]

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f346/wilko_gsi_2500/FlyingSwan.jpg

Staff Edit : Image changed to clickable link. Pictures must not exceed current forum limits as per the rules. Please feel free to replace this with a fresh/resized image and remove this text :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big fan of birds in flight pictures and your swan has potential. I think the focus has failed to keep track of the bird though. What AF mode were you using?

I'm a big fan of birds in flight pictures and your swan has potential. I think the focus has failed to keep track of the bird though. What AF mode were you using?
to be really honest, i'm not quite sure, now. I took a few shots during the day. The swans were having a bit of a set to, and chasing one another all day long.

Perfect hobbies fishing and photography, both bring you close to nature :) nice shots by the way (y)

I much prefer shot #1, as #2 is not focussed. The exposure is pretty good, in fact I'd say you could not have done much better on #1. FWIW I always shoot in RAW and then I can often save an image which I have screwed up exposure on.
You should be able to look at the EXIF data on shot 2 to work out what mode was used. For flying birds, I always use Canon's AI SERVO mode, as high a drive mode as possible, I think expressed as an H and then some overlapping rectangles, and then usually AV mode at the widest aperture possible to get a decent shutter speed. If I have the speed, I'll stop down to get as much of the bird in focus as possible, which on big birds that are close, like Swans often are, can be difficult. If that can't be done, the critical part is the head. If the eye and beak are sharp, you can often get away with the rest.
Jonathan

I much prefer shot #1, as #2 is not focussed. The exposure is pretty good, in fact I'd say you could not have done much better on #1. FWIW I always shoot in RAW and then I can often save an image which I have screwed up exposure on.
You should be able to look at the EXIF data on shot 2 to work out what mode was used. For flying birds, I always use Canon's AI SERVO mode, as high a drive mode as possible, I think expressed as an H and then some overlapping rectangles, and then usually AV mode at the widest aperture possible to get a decent shutter speed. If I have the speed, I'll stop down to get as much of the bird in focus as possible, which on big birds that are close, like Swans often are, can be difficult. If that can't be done, the critical part is the head. If the eye and beak are sharp, you can often get away with the rest.
Jonathan

It turns out from the settings on the camera, i beleive the camera was not set up in AI SERVO. how do i look up the Exif details? Sorry for sounding thick. I'm new to this.:help:

Back