Critique Swans Head - with new lens

Name
Bill
Edit My Images
No
Ok, excuses first - miserable day, poor light - light rain on and off - only stayed out for an hour - all I saw was a Swan and swans are generally easy and of course big - it was swimming up river towards me

Just picked up my (used) new 600mm f4 Nikon - (the last of the non VR versions)

Mounted on a good Gitzo CF tripod with a Wimberley Mk ll ……. so no excuses there

D7100 @600mm f4 ISO400 at 1/800th sec - AV - spot exposure and single cell focusing

Original image first …. no cropping or processing just converted to jpeg from RAW for posting on here

then processed and cropped then converted to jpeg

all comments welcomed

swan_org.jpg

swan_process.jpg

Last edited:
Plenty of sharp detail, and controlled exposure there Bill (y) - has it stopped raining there yet?

Russ

Thanks Russ

yes it's stopped but apparently it is going to start again at 1400hrs ……….but it's overcast and lugging the 600mm around with the tripod and gimbal is not much fun ……. I though that my 300mm f2.8VR was heavy

600mm seems good but obviously I need to improve my technique, especially if used with a TC which seem to extenuate any movement of the lens

I was hoping to go down to Blashford Lakes this week!!!

Last edited:
It takes muscle to lug around a 600mm lens + tripod + Wimbereley - Well Done!
I chickened out of all that heavy gear last year, and now happily tote around a 300mm f/2.8 + x2 TC - much more handleable for my "walking-with-camera" style of bird photography.

Russ

Maybe I should get one of those motorised wheel chair and have some off road tyres fitted

Back