Swansea Bay Sunrise

Name
Gerald Davies
Edit My Images
Yes
From an early start.

2569126986_64d7685058_o.jpg

C&C welcome

Absolutely glorious shot and well done you for getting up so early to capture it. The colours, composition and that wonderful shimmer on the water all very very good :clap:

Cracking shot.

I too am from Swansea and I was also up at 4am to capture the sunrising! However mine didn't come out anywhere near as good as yours, mainly because I was too tired/lazy to make my way down to the waterfront for a decent scene.

Don't know if it is an optical illusion caused by the sun on the water but I keep thinking it looks a bit off of being straight. Nice example of rule of thirds :)

I do like it but not sure about the long thin format.

Cracking shot.

I too am from Swansea and I was also up at 4am to capture the sunrising! However mine didn't come out anywhere near as good as yours, mainly because I was too tired/lazy to make my way down to the waterfront for a decent scene.

I know that feeling, its only 1 in 3 I get out of bed for, after the alarm has gone off.

Sry time was actualy 5.15am, camera is not adjust for bst.

Gerald

Don't know if it is an optical illusion caused by the sun on the water but I keep thinking it looks a bit off of being straight. Nice example of rule of thirds :)

I do like it but not sure about the long thin format.

It is a gnats bum off being straight, horizon wise, but if you straightened it, the boats mast would be tilted even more to the right and probably make it look even more wonky, so I think its just right as it is.

It's a gorgeous study in light and colour, though despite the RoT, I still find it a bit long and would crop a little of the bottom, its so well composed it can take it and still appear to comply with RoT without actually doing so! [Am I talking gibberish now? :thinking: ]

:clap::clap:

That is one good shot and crop (y)

Thanks all for your replies. I have shown the pic to a few friends, and there seems to be some debate over the photo being to long and in need of a crop, I'll get an edit version posted later today, so we can compare the difference

Thanks all for your replies. I have shown the pic to a few friends, and there seems to be some debate over the photo being to long and in need of a crop, I'll get an edit version posted later today, so we can compare the difference

I had the same little thought... is it too long. Maybe just a very little bit.
But it's a great shot, and as has been said, well worth getting out of bed for!!

Thanks for sharing it with us!

heres the cropped version of the photo. What I find now is that the sun becomes to strong in the frame and dominates the photo and not the boat.
Yes I could reduce the brightness of the sun, but it now falls closer to the third than the boat and my eye skips past boat and fixes on the sun.

2570433674_ae92df5987_o.jpg

Do you agree or do you prefer this crop?

Gerald

Now that I love big time (y) :clap:, mind you even the original one you posted was great too .. but the cropped one is just spot-on. Well done with the capture, with getting out so early, and with the composition & colour.

Well worth getting up that early for that shot, very nice indeed(y)(y)

Back