Switch Canon 650D to Fuji X-T1?

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been taking photography more and more seriously over the last 3 or 4 years. I started with a little Olympus E-PL1, then "moved up" to a Canon 650D when a good deal came along. Since then, I've had some really great results and I'm happy with the Canon as far as IQ goes, but suffering serious "grass greener" syndrome, combined with a desire to get something a smaller again. That's where the Fujis come in. I initially looked at the X-Pro1 and X-E2, but have quickly upsold myself into lusting for an X-T1 and 18-135, not least because I live in Abu Dhabi and travel a lot, so the weather sealing feels like a very good idea. My wife is coming around to the idea, partly because she'd be keeping the Canon for herself.

Can anyone give me any good reasons for and against the switch, that I may not have thought of? Is there anything that particularly annoys you about the X-T1? I'd miss the Canon's touchscreen, and I'm slightly hesitant to go EVF again, but otherwise I can't seem to talk myself out of it.

You don't say what you generally shoot, but having said that my X-T1 has done everything I've asked of it so far. Having moved from a Nikon D750 to an X-T1 I genuinely don't see any downsides that stop me taking the photos I want. Sure the Continuous AF is slower and AF in dark places is a bit of a struggle compared to the spookily good D750, but it does have absolutely nailed on accuracy going for it, there are no micro-adjust issues and in my experience its generally flawless in anything approaching good light.

You mention the EVF, the X-T1 EVF is immense, easily the biggest viewfinder I've used, and if you can accept using an EVF it has so many benefits over an OVF (data overlays, proper exposure preview, image review etc).

Lots of my X-T1 samples here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/harry_s/sets/72157650676739292/

I switched from a 7D to the X-T1 and on the whole I am glad I did.
I find the autofocus not very good for moving subjects and the way some of the menus options work get on my nerves, but after no being sure about the EVF when I tried it in the shop I now really like it.
The drop in size and weight from my gripped 7D means I take the camera with me more than I used to.
My personal opinion is that if you do a lot of sports or wildlife photography stick with a dlsr but if not I don't think you would be disappointed with a X-T1

I'm mostly shooting landscapes, architecture and pets at the moment. No intention of getting too deep into wildlife and sports beyond once a year trips to zoo and Abu Dhabi F1 (and photography isn't the priority at the F1).

I'm sure I'll get used to the EVF - I have the VF2 for the little Olympus, which I never had any trouble with before I moved to the DSLR. When I had a brief store demo of the Fuji I was quite surprised just how good the EVF was, so it's not so much a worry as just something I'm aware I'll have to get used to.

Battery life and management is poor, apart from that not really found any problems

Battery life and management is poor, apart from that not really found any problems

Forgot this one, mainly because I stocked up on cheap Ex-Pro batteries. The indicator is quite amusing (unless you're shooting a wedding), it stays at full most of the time (I went over 1k shots on Saturday without changing the battery) then blinks red to warn you that it's no longer full about 2 seconds before it dies.

Exactly get plenty of spares, Ex-Pro are fine although I have one that is slightly oversized and a devil to get out of the camera (extreme emergency spare only now)

I can get about 400 shots from one battery, not really an issue for me. I always had two batteries for my Nikons and now i still have 2 batteries for the X-T1. I will add another I'm sure, but don't really feel the need atm.

The EVF will obliterate the OVF on the 650D, it is massive. It's bigger than the 5D3's also. Never missed the OVF anyway.

Thanks chaps. 300 or so shots from a battery is plenty, and I'm already well used to carrying spares. I need to go and have a proper demo then start sweet talking the wife!

I thought I recognise that avatar!
How ya doing Mike?
Shift some pedals and get the xt1! Fuji stuffs ace!

If I was still using a crop sensor as my main system, I would drop the Nikons like a hot brick but the D750 is in a league above them in so many ways that I plan on keeping both systems running side by side. I love the XT mainly for its handling - so much like the SLRs of my youth! The IQ isn't exactly lagging far behind the FF Nikon - SOOC prints up to A3+ is plenty good enough for me and the in camera JPEG conversion works extremely well IMO.
Not noticed any problems using mine in extreme (for Europe!) heat while on holiday in Crete and the relative lack of weight compared to the DSLR system is a boon! At the moment, the Fuji line up is still missing a long zoom but the 100-400 should be along before the end of the year. Allegedly... Not too much of a lack for me since it equates to my longest Nikon lens anyway - I'm more of a wide angle man and the 10-24 just about fits for me.

Thanks chaps. 300 or so shots from a battery is plenty, and I'm already well used to carrying spares. I need to go and have a proper demo then start sweet talking the wife!

If you do decide to pick one up, go to Grand Stores Khalidya (next to Al Hosn Fort) and ask for Mark. Tell him Adam from the Embassy told you that he'd give you a good discount!

The fuji glass is really going to impress you. I sold my timeline and put the money towards the xf23 F1. 4.
absolutely stunning lens!
I've got the xe2 and 18-55 also but in your position I think I would go for the xt1. As you point out the weather sealing would be a bonus.

If you do decide to pick one up, go to Grand Stores Khalidya (next to Al Hosn Fort) and ask for Mark. Tell him Adam from the Embassy told you that he'd give you a good discount!

Hehe, thanks- will do. I work next to Abu Dhabi mall so I'm becoming a regular feature in the GS down there. Like a kid in a candy shop...

Hehe, thanks- will do. I work next to Abu Dhabi mall so I'm becoming a regular feature in the GS down there. Like a kid in a candy shop...

Actually. I'm pretty sure they've still got the GITEX discount on at the minute..... I'm off to buy a new lens today*.

* which lens to be confirmed :D

Actually. I'm pretty sure they've still got the GITEX discount on at the minute..... I'm off to buy a new lens today*.

* which lens to be confirmed :D

I think they were doing XT with 18-135 for 6000 a week ago, which is looking better and better each day the pound goes up!

I think they were doing XT with 18-135 for 6000 a week ago, which is looking better and better each day the pound goes up!

That's a good lens too.

Shoot with that for a few months, see what focal length you're predominantly shooting at, then get the equivalent prime. Bingo!

That's a good lens too.

Shoot with that for a few months, see what focal length you're predominantly shooting at, then get the equivalent prime. Bingo!

That's basically the plan. I know I already use each end of my Canon's 18-55 far more than anything in the middle, but a good chunk of the time at 55 I'm only there because it won't go to 100+ or so. I reckon the 18-135 and 14 or 18 prime would be the perfect combination for my needs.

Just need to raise some cash to pay for it. Anyone want to buy a guitar? :D

Back