Switching from flash to non-flash for small-scale work

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
No
The shots below are the sort of thing I photograph. This is easy with flash - three flashes at the corners of a 30" baseboard, pointing up to a low white ceiling plus a smaller one, set to -3 EV, at 'ground level' off to (usually) the left. But I'm now thinking about switching to Olympus and making use of the 8-shot HiRes mode. Obviously, this won't work with flash so I'm investigating how to get the same effect without it. Would this Interfit three-lamp kit be a sensible starting point?

icecream.jpg
clear2.jpg

I am playing around reasonably successfully with a table top studio with the lights as follows
1*Ikea floor lamp with bendy neck £12.00
2* Desk lights with bendy necks -look at the Ikea Kvart work lamp £8.00
3* non dimmable philips LED bulbs output 100watt colour temp 6500 -bought from amazon, from memory about £10
1*Auralux colour changing LED bulb dimmable , bluetooth control from smartphone -bought from amazon £15.00 ish ( I think).
I shoot in RAW using a tripod and a whibal card for white balance .
Cheap set up and if it does not work for you it has not cost a fortune.

I am playing around reasonably successfully with a table top studio with the lights as follows
1*Ikea floor lamp with bendy neck £12.00
2* Desk lights with bendy necks -look at the Ikea Kvart work lamp £8.00
3* non dimmable philips LED bulbs output 100watt colour temp 6500 -bought from amazon, from memory about £10
1*Auralux colour changing LED bulb dimmable , bluetooth control from smartphone -bought from amazon £15.00 ish ( I think).
I shoot in RAW using a tripod and a whibal card for white balance .
Cheap set up and if it does not work for you it has not cost a fortune.
Too true . If it works thats ok

I just bought this kit from Amazon for some YouTube videos:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07SH6KS23/

The 4 LEDs supplied are marked "Photography" and give an excellent light.

I've fitted the diffusers to the front of the softbox and they give a lovely soft light.

Using a tripod with a Smartphone holder on top I now have a cheap and cheerful setup for my videos (indoors obviously).

Back