Switching question

Name
Charles
Edit My Images
Yes
I recently posted about image stabilisation issues and received som very helpful advice. Leading on from that, I currently have a Nikon Z6ii and a couple of Z lenses having switched from a E-M1 Mkii a couple of years ago, believing that the switch to full-frame would produce better, sharper images - I shoot all sorts and I print to A4 and very occasionally to A3. But in reading rave reviews about the OM 1 there stirred within me a longing to swap back. So, just wondering if anyone else has gone back to Olympus from full-frame and what the pros and cons would be.
Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

I have FF Sony A7 (very old now) and Panasonic MFT.

I don't think you'll get the image quality you'll get from a newer FF mirrorless camera from any MFT camera. I don't think MTF is the way to go if you want the best IQ you can get from cameras from MFT v FF.

The advantages of MFT for me are the more compact size and weight, the cost and speed of operation. Another advantage for some could be the higher degree of environmental sealing you get with some bodies and lenses.

I suppose another thing to think about is if or when you can see the differences between MFT and FF. I see it but I do like to look at the files and see a nice file. When looking at whole pictures on screen or in print up to A3 any differences may or may not be visible depending on how picky you are and the DR and other requirements of the shot. Start at the end result you want and work back to determine both the kit you need and the settings you'll use :D

I went from a Sony A7R2 back to an Olympus EM1 MK2 (now upgraded to an EM1X) and I'm very glad I did.

With the advent of the various DeNoise software apps available now I'm not really missing anything from the full frame kit.

Except perhaps low light shooting.

But I did very well with the recent aurora with the Olympus kit.

The lenses are much lighter & smaller.

And the OM1 is apparently a better body than the EM1X.

I'd have no qualms about swapping back.

See my Flickr for some Olympus images.

www.flickr.com/terencerees

I went from an e-m1 mk3 to a Sony A7 mk2 and regretted it almost straight away.
I just never gelled with the Sony and I had done something I had moved to Olympus for in the first place, upped the kit weight.

I decided to try something different and went Fuji, now have two of them and do almost everything on a 12 year old x-e1 and 27mm lens and loving it

Maybe 2/3 months ago, I swapped some lenses for an OM-1 and a few lenses. The experiment didn't even last a full day. I was very disappointed in the I.Q of the OM-1 compared to what I was used too with my full frame equipment so in the same afternoon traded all of the Olympus gear on to W.E.X. Everybody raves about the a.f performance of the OM-1, I didn't think it was that good, certainly not as good as my Sony gear.

Back