Switching to Fuji...Missing the full frame look?

Name
Pradeep
Edit My Images
Yes
As in the title, anyone made the switch and regretted it purely for this reason? I tend to be a DOF junkie, although for portraiture I'm normally at around f2 to have more keepers. I'm thinking the XT1 at 1.2/1.4 would give a similar look.

I'm contemplating the switch as my needs have changed a lot. In particular I'm attracted to the weight of the XT1 compared to my usual 5D3+35L combo, without a major sacrifice in image quality...particularly when travelling. Talking of which, at times I've left the DSLR behind and purely relied on my phone (LG G3 - which has a fantastic camera btw) when I'm away. Having a smaller and lighter package would mean that I would carry it around more often...me thinks.

I'm sure many would advise having both systems, but I can't really justify that, especially since I'm not shooting much professionally and don't intend to for the foreseeable future - funny how circumstances change so quickly!

I sometimes have the same dilemma but it's really all in my head! Yes I loved using my Canon 58mm f1.2 and Nikon 85mm f1.4 on a Sony A7R, but I rarely actually used them below f2 as it was just too little DOF! I really want the Fuji 56mm though, for some reason the Canon sucks on Fuji sensor. Before the A7R I was always happy with f2.8 lenses on Fuji APS (S5), so no reason not to be now on the XT1.

If it's tax deductible, go for both systems if you can afford to There are advantages to both camps so why compromise?

I sometimes have the same dilemma but it's really all in my head! Yes I loved using my Canon 58mm f1.2 and Nikon 85mm f1.4 on a Sony A7R, but I rarely actually used them below f2 as it was just too little DOF!

Yup. Current thinking on t' net seems to be that you must buy the widest aperture lenses in existence and then you must shoot them at their widest aperture and especially when shooting people you must shoot tight head shots and you must have just the tip of one eyelash sharp.

Even at f2 you're going to have next to no DoF unless you're quite a way from the subject. With for eg a head and shoulders shot at something like 85mm you're going to need a much smaller aperture to get the whole of the head in the DoF. f5.6? Smaller?

Sorry to go slightly off topic but as a bit of a shallow DoF fan myself I still think that it's seen as too much of an issue. With smaller systems (MFT and APS-C) you can still get razor thin DoF if that's what you want by changing the camera to subject distance and framing. It'll be a different shot but still a nice shot. Actually, I think that for hand held shooting the sweet spot is more towards MFT and/or APS-C than FF.

This was shot on an X-T1 and the 56mm f/1.2... If you're after saving weight, I'd highly recommend the X-T1/56mm combination. Despite the fact that I've gone back to a full-frame DSLR and sold my Fuji kit, I was more than happy with it for portrait work. :)

Thanks for the replies.

Yh I've seen images with the 56mm and they do look really nice - especially closer portraits. Thing is with the 5d3 and 35L shot at f2 or lower still produces beautiful shallow dof and I'm concerned that the 23 1.4 won't give anything like it and I may miss the look.

The massive saving in weight is what's making me think a lot though. I'm currently away at the moment and lugging the 5d and 35L around all day is becoming a pain. Today I put the 17-40L on instead as I was taking some shots inside a cathedral... The combo was much lighter and tolerable. However I was still teaching for my phone much, much more than the dslr - purely due to the size and the ease of use (it's almost always in my hand when I'm looking to photograph surroundings) - I'm thinking the xt1 may allow me to do the same purely due to the light weight.

Unfortunately I can't justify both so it's a bit if a difficult decision.

Why not just go for an A7?

There's a huge saving in bulk and weight over a 5D and lens of similar quality and the DoF is what you're used to as it's FF.

Thanks for the replies.

Yh I've seen images with the 56mm and they do look really nice - especially closer portraits. Thing is with the 5d3 and 35L shot at f2 or lower still produces beautiful shallow dof and I'm concerned that the 23 1.4 won't give anything like it and I may miss the look.

The massive saving in weight is what's making me think a lot though. I'm currently away at the moment and lugging the 5d and 35L around all day is becoming a pain. Today I put the 17-40L on instead as I was taking some shots inside a cathedral... The combo was much lighter and tolerable. However I was still teaching for my phone much, much more than the dslr - purely due to the size and the ease of use (it's almost always in my hand when I'm looking to photograph surroundings) - I'm thinking the xt1 may allow me to do the same purely due to the light weight.

Unfortunately I can't justify both so it's a bit if a difficult decision.

The Fuji lenses will give you around a stop more depth of field i.e. a f/1.4 lens will act like an f/2 lens on full frame.

There really isn't anything to worry about in my experience, as the Fuji lenses are sharp from wide open, which is not often the case with other manufacturers, whose lenses often need to be stopped down a little anyway.

Examples:

35/1.4 @F/1.4

View attachment 38379

35/1.4 @ f/2

View attachment 38380

23/1.4 @ f/1.4 (I've only just received this lens so examples are a bit thin on the ground lol)

View attachment 38381

23/1.4 @ f/2

View attachment 38382

Last edited:
Why not just go for an A7?

There's a huge saving in bulk and weight over a 5D and lens of similar quality and the DoF is what you're used to as it's FF.

I never thought about a Sony system before but having had a little look it seems like there are some mixed reviews on focusing as well as comments about the weight and cost of their lens line up... That might defeat the purpose of a potential switch.

The Fuji lenses will give you around a stop more depth of field i.e. a f/1.4 lens will act like an f/2 lens on full frame.

There really isn't anything to worry about in my experience, as the Fuji lenses are sharp from wide open, which is not often the case with other manufacturers, whose lenses often need to be stopped down a little anyway.

Examples:

35/1.4 @F/1.4

View attachment 38379

35/1.4 @ f/2

View attachment 38380

23/1.4 @ f/1.4 (I've only just received this lens so examples are a bit thin on the ground lol)

View attachment 38381

23/1.4 @ f/2

View attachment 38382

Nice images, especially with the 35 which from what I have seen isn't their best lens

I'm more interested in the 23 though (as it's the equivalent of my 35)...any more sample portraits using that lens?

I never thought about a Sony system before but having had a little look it seems like there are some mixed reviews on focusing as well as comments about the weight and cost of their lens line up... That might defeat the purpose of a potential switch.

Well, as an owner what I can tell you is that the bulk and weight saving over a 5D is significant.

In those pictures my A7 is fitted with a Novoflex adapter and a Minolta 50mm f1.4 but the Sony 55mm f1.8 is about the same bulk as that combination.

As for cost, I think that Sony is mostly aiming at the top end of the market and you pay for that. If cost is an issue I'd recommend that you compare the cost of the Sony kit to similar quality Canon kit but this can be hard as do Canon make anything to compare to the 55mm f1.8? They do make an expensive 35mm or two so maybe that'd be a point of comparison. The Sony certainly seems to be getting good reviews.

I only have two Sony lenses, the kit lens and the 55mm f1.8 and mostly I use manual lenses but the focusing of the two native lenses I have seems to be in line or even faster than what I got with any Canon DSLR I had... but my Canons were old so that might not say much. (300D,10D, 20D, 5D) and I only ever used single point focusing and never tracking. The A7 series focus speed may not be up to birds in flight or point and shoot street photography but for many uses I'd say that it's perfectly adequate but this is something that you have to try and decide for yourself. One big plus of course is that you shouldn't get any of the front/back focus silliness that you get with DSLR's.

The A7 series might be a generation or two away from being for everyone but I do think that it's worth taking what you read on line with a pinch of salt and trying one for yourself.

Last edited:
I haven't used or owned the Fuji 56mm f1.2 but i do own the 23mm. It's an absolute belter of a lens and one i like very much. I have owned the 35 and 60 also and whilst the IQ was really good, they're Fuji's first generation prime lenses so are a little slower to focus and more noisy whilst doing so. The 60 can hunt quite a bit in low light also which is annoying.

I own the 50-140 f2.8 also which is another brilliant lens.

I'm at work atm but can post plenty of pics with the 23 if you want me to.

Well, as an owner what I can tell you is that the bulk and weight saving over a 5D is significant.

In those pictures my A7 is fitted with a Novoflex adapter and a Minolta 50mm f1.4 but the Sony 55mm f1.8 is about the same bulk as that combination.

As for cost, I think that Sony is mostly aiming at the top end of the market and you pay for that. If cost is an issue I'd recommend that you compare the cost of the Sony kit to similar quality Canon kit but this can be hard as do Canon make anything to compare to the 55mm f1.8? They do make an expensive 35mm or two so maybe that'd be a point of comparison. The Sony certainly seems to be getting good reviews.

I only have two Sony lenses, the kit lens and the 55mm f1.8 and mostly I use manual lenses but the focusing of the two native lenses I have seems to be in line or even faster than what I got with any Canon DSLR I had... but my Canons were old so that might not say much. (300D,10D, 20D, 5D) and I only ever used single point focusing and never tracking. The A7 series focus speed may not be up to birds in flight or point and shoot street photography but for many uses I'd say that it's perfectly adequate but this is something that you have to try and decide for yourself. One big plus of course is that you shouldn't get any of the front/back focus silliness that you get with DSLR's.

The A7 series might be a generation or two away from being for everyone but I do think that it's worth taking what you read on line with a pinch of salt and trying one for yourself.

Yes I will most definitely try one out in a shop. However I was looking online for a 35L equivalent and the only option seems to be the Sony Distagon 35 which is more expensive than the L and also (from a quick search) not readily available from retailers other than Amazon. I'm assuming it's much heavier than the fuji 23mm as well which may defeat my purpose of switching. I will give it some thought after I try it out though.

I haven't used or owned the Fuji 56mm f1.2 but i do own the 23mm. It's an absolute belter of a lens and one i like very much. I have owned the 35 and 60 also and whilst the IQ was really good, they're Fuji's first generation prime lenses so are a little slower to focus and more noisy whilst doing so. The 60 can hunt quite a bit in low light also which is annoying.

I own the 50-140 f2.8 also which is another brilliant lens.

I'm at work atm but can post plenty of pics with the 23 if you want me to.

Yh I've heard really great things about the 23mm. Any photos of adults (rather than kids) would be appreciated. I seldom if ever photograph kids (especially as I don't any of my own!). :)

Yes I will most definitely try one out in a shop. However I was looking online for a 35L equivalent and the only option seems to be the Sony Distagon 35 which is more expensive than the L and also (from a quick search) not readily available from retailers other than Amazon. I'm assuming it's much heavier than the fuji 23mm as well which may defeat my purpose of switching. I will give it some thought after I try it out though.

This is the issue a few are finding with the Sony system, its trying to find that balance of a small package not just a small body, the problem is the bigger sensor needs bigger lenses so the saving in package size is down to the body. Im talking about native AF system lenses though, not MF lenses like Alan uses, thats where you can make a decent saving on size but lose the obvious benefits of an AF/electronic system.

After all of my system changes I found the best compromise in package size and lens availability / quality to be Fuji. M43 is the smallest and can really deliver but I prefer bigger sensors. I personally think though that you will be missing out by giving up your 5D3 especially in terms of AF performance.

I did have the X-T1 and 23mm which was main combo on holidays last year the portraits are mostly my family with kids though.. I had other lenses and i really liked it all yet sold it to fund a 5D3 as i missed my Canon gear which i sold long before X-T1 :oops: :$

Personally of the CSC choices i liked the Fuji X series the most and do plan on buying myself a X-T1 and 23mm again when i have the funds, I used like the build quality, Image quality and lenses with built in aperture ring :)

I have had various M43 like E-M5 and Sony A6000 but i still liked Fuji X the most

Hmmm. Dunno how hard you're looking but I found it in stock at the first attempt, Wex, and when I tried someone different I found it in stock at Jessops too.

An A7+35mm f1.4 might not be for you but I'm pretty sure it's a quality package and in stock if you look :D

IMVHO you have to look at the body and lens as a package and I'm pretty sure there'll be a bulk and weight saving over a 5D and similar quality lens. Handling is a different issue and I think you really have to try before you buy.

Good luck choosing but I think your heart is set on Fuji so until you try that system you'll always wonder so maybe that's the direction you should go in first.

Last edited:
This is the issue a few are finding with the Sony system, its trying to find that balance of a small package not just a small body, the problem is the bigger sensor needs bigger lenses so the saving in package size is down to the body. Im talking about native AF system lenses though, not MF lenses like Alan uses, thats where you can make a decent saving on size but lose the obvious benefits of an AF/electronic system.

As I've said before on this I think that Sony FE lenses are a bit smaller and to me it is obvious that they're trying to keep the bulk down but they're not as small as people think they should be.

The problem is (and I think that the same goes for Fuji here too as some think that Fuji lenses are a little on the large side) that Sony (and Fuji) are aiming high and you usually don't get really top quality AF lenses that are small and light but having said that the FE 55mm f1.8 is a fantastic lens and it weighs next to nothing, less than a Novoflex adapter and a manual focus f1.4 or f1.2 anyway and probably less than an adapter and some manual f1.8's.

Just on the size thing... in the DSLR world look at the Sigma Art lenses. They're good but they're a bit bigger. Just goes to show that all that optical goodness often comes at the expense of bulk and weight.

Last edited:
The 23 is a nice fit for the x-t1. Here are a few snaps. Not really of adults and don't particularly show you any comparison to FF unfortunately. :LOL:

Nottingham
by David Raynham, on Flickr.

Walking in the shadows
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Day 3 in the little brother house

The Tree

Sunset peeking through

Blancpain Endurance Series - Silverstone 2015

Lily

Oh look... an adult!! :D

Like Father Like Son

As i said before,it was an easy decision for me,years ago when i was fit and younger i carry around DSLR or an SLR all day long without any problems,unfortunately those days are gone,now i carry around a kit i can mange.
Simple as that :)

I am in the process of doing the same thing. I am a Nikon ff shooter mainly doing weddings. I love the Fuji X system and have a loan setup at the moment to try out properly.

I think I may have even brought an xt-1 today with some lenses so it has been interesting to read up on this thread.

One thing that has surprised me with the f2.8 lenses the 24-70 and 70-200 equivalents is how heavy they are. I expected the whole kit to be as small and light as the body.

Looking forward to shooting with it properly to compare and I will keep an eye on the DOF issues as mentioned.

I am in the process of doing the same thing. I am a Nikon ff shooter mainly doing weddings. I love the Fuji X system and have a loan setup at the moment to try out properly.

I think I may have even brought an xt-1 today with some lenses so it has been interesting to read up on this thread.

One thing that has surprised me with the f2.8 lenses the 24-70 and 70-200 equivalents is how heavy they are. I expected the whole kit to be as small and light as the body.

Looking forward to shooting with it properly to compare and I will keep an eye on the DOF issues as mentioned.

Comparisons would be absolutely awesome if you get time! Your comment about the fuji zooms being heavy is interesting... I expected all their lenses to be pretty light!

But quite as heavy as the Nikon/ Canon equivalent :)

Hi, tried a few shots on a photoshoot at the weekend with this thread in mind to try and give you an idea. Unfortunately on kids, but what can you do?!

Both at f1.4 on the 23mm lens.

Elle

Brooke

And one on the 50-140, 140mm @ f2.8

Jenson

The 50-140 is quite a heavy lens but still a superb piece of kit. Focus is fast, smooth and silent and is of top notch quality.

Fuji zooms are about 2/3rds the weight of Nikon equivalents - so still lighter. X-T1 is half the weight of a Nikon D3 - D4 type body.

Hi, tried a few shots on a photoshoot at the weekend with this thread in mind to try and give you an idea. Unfortunately on kids, but what can you do?!

Both at f1.4 on the 23mm lens.

Elle

Brooke

And one on the 50-140, 140mm @ f2.8

Jenson

The 50-140 is quite a heavy lens but still a superb piece of kit. Focus is fast, smooth and silent and is of top notch quality.

Thanks for the images - they look great. :) Would love the someone with both the Fuji and a FF camera take comparative shots using the same focal length - i.e., 23mm 1.4 on XT1 vs 35mm 1.4 on FF. Otherwise psychology comes into it and affects my perception!

Fuji zooms are about 2/3rds the weight of Nikon equivalents - so still lighter. X-T1 is half the weight of a Nikon D3 - D4 type body.

That's good to know - bodes well for primes then, which is what I would be shooting with.

Tried fuji and other mirrorless for while, back with nikon now. Cheaper good lenses more variety and imo you can't beat the feel of a dslr and how it operates. I maybe a bit old fashioned but I like the weight some mirrorless felt like toys. Though fuji had the best build wise. For sports and wildlife mirrorless are still way behind dslr to.

Last edited:
Tried fuji and other mirrorless for while, back with nikon now. Cheaper good lenses more variety and imo you can't beat the feel of a dslr and how it operates. I maybe a bit old fashioned but I like the weight some mirrorless felt like toys. Though fuji had the best build wise. For sports and wildlife mirrorless are still way behind dslr to.

With regard to weight I used to feel the same, but not so much anymore - particularly because I travel a lot. Lugging a DSLR and lenses around all day isn't as comfortable for me now. Not interested in shooting sports at all (actually don't think I've ever shot sports) so speed isn't a worry...but dof is, hence my concern about losing the look of FF if I switched to Fuji.

I don't shoot sports either, just wildlife and I could easily walk around all day with my d7100 and 70-300, it's all individual choice and needs

To me mirrorless are more like advanced compacts with lenses :-o I prefer performance over size and.weight, mirrorless have a way to go yet.
The fuji XT1 doesn't focus anywhere near as quick as my d700 which is years older but performs 10 times better and half the price with a lens.

Last edited:
I'm blown away by the Fuji lenses, they're so sharp all the way through the range. I much prefer my Fuji system for general photography these days, image quality is excellent (DR is incredible compared with my 6D) and I can easily carry a camera and several lenses over my shoulder whilst also lugging around a small child :)

IQ wise they are excellent though why you'd want to carry a child to is beyond me:-S :-D

Back