Sydney Aquarium

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
This Xmas and New Year I had the pleasure of a 5 week break in Australia, we started off at my sister-in-law's in Sydney and then moved over to Perth where my father-in-law lives for the second part. These shots are from a visit to the aquarium in Darling Harbour, really puts the sea lifein Birmingham to shame!! I found the shooting conditions very challenging (as did my 5D!) but got a few shots I'm very pleased with.

IMG_3100 by MJ Wilson, on Flickr

IMG_3107 by MJ Wilson, on Flickr

IMG_3132 by MJ Wilson, on Flickr

IMG_3167 by MJ Wilson, on Flickr
#4 is my fave of the lot but I'd like to hear other's opinions and advice on shooting at an aquarium.

I really like 2 and 4, the shark shot is a great shot... well captured :)
Thanks, it's frustrating speding hundreds on good glass and then lose shots because of aquarium glass LOL. I'm amazed how well #4 came out with the EXIF - ISO3200 1/80s f/4.0 on my 70-200 f/2.8 which is a beast to handhold

Not tried shooting at an aquarium so can't really give any advice. I guess getting the light right and the fish relatively close to the glass is key. That said, picture 4 looks stunning. The light and DOF are perfect.

I love the Foxface Rabbitfish - my favourite fish of all time!

Well done capturing the fish behind glass, not easy to capture.

Makes me miss my marine tank :(

Shooting under those conditions is never easy but I think you have done well. The walkways are dark too so your shooting out of the dark through the glass into the light and with all the reflections. Getting perspective is hard unless you can have a known item to judge the size by. The sharks alone in there are big, some up to 3 meters long, but its hard to realise that when your showing pictures. Did you walk through the tunell where you are surounded on all sides, top, and bottom by water and fish, its quite an experience isnt it. I have to admit that when I went round the first time, which took maybe an hour and a half, I ducked under the rope handrail guiding you out and went round a second time, dont tell any one though :nono: Lovely to see these and well done (y)

#3 is lovely, but #4 is really spot on, the detail is insane.

Unfortunately public aquariums are always plagued by prints on the glass and low light conditions which don't really help to get that really sharp and well lit photo.

Back