Sympathy For Sharapova?

I've noticed Curling players are constantly trying to keep their sport clean.

Yes, constantly sweeping up.

Pity someone could not give Sharapova a drug to keep her gob shut when she is playing.

I can excuse her taking drugs. I could excuse females who look as good as her lots of things.

This thread is useless without photos. If I wasn't in an open plan office environment I would add some to this thread. I feel sorry for the girl as she obviously can't afford clothes and doesn't look like she eats enough...

meldonium-0-25-caps-n20.3694-13.jpeg

I bet she never thought she would get court. Nevermind, im sure her entourage will rally around her now. She is smashing though...

I think she has either had her head in the sand or just had poor advice.
I would be certainly sacking one or two of her advisors at least.

I think she has either had her head in the sand or just had poor advice.
I would be certainly sacking one or two of her advisors at least.

She'll not need so many now anyway

Quite a good article about the drug here.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/mar/09/maria-sharapova-meldonium-banned-drug-wada

Too many athletes from all sports and all countries, bending the rules/cheating using banned drugs, drugs which should only be prescribed for genuine illness, and TUE's (therapeutic Use Exemptions) where a team coach/doctor allows an athlete to take a banned drug for competition because the athlete is "ill".

Poor girl, I hope she's got other talents outside of tennis.

image.jpeg

Hmm I think she will be ok :)

The banned drugs list can be very confusing, seem to remember we had a skier stripped of his medal after using Sinex bought in another country where the ingredients differ from the UK

The banned drugs list can be very confusing, seem to remember we had a skier stripped of his medal after using Sinex bought in another country where the ingredients differ from the UK

It was Vicks, and he should have checked. Nevertheless his explanation was eventually believed and his ban was light.

Oh come on, that's hardly fair. He was ranked in the top 5 in the world and he reached the US Open final. If that's 'crap', what's your definition of 'passable'?

And Rudeski was hardly a drug cheat at all. He only got caught for nandralone once.

I see her raquet sponsor, Head, intend not to terminate her contract, but to extend it.
Every cloud, and all that. :D

It was Vicks, and he should have checked. Nevertheless his explanation was eventually believed and his ban was light.

The skier was Alan Baxter. He assumed that Vicks was the same around the world (something I would assume too). The drug found in Alan wasn't banned in a strict sense - it was a chiral isomer of a banned drug. It had negligible effect but was covered under a blanket ban. More recent pharmacology texts usually refer to the two versions as different drugs as they're affect on the human body is so different. The stimulating effect of the version he had in his system is comparable to caffeine - something that has a threshold limit in most sports (and the Court of Arbitration suggest that the IOC set thresholds for this drug too so that it wasn't blanked banned going forward).

The International Ski Federation believed his story but he got the minimum ban and his bronze medal taken away. When appealing to the Olympic committee he was rejected mainly due to the evidence of a guy running a lab that allowed Carl Lewis to keep running. This is also despite the IOC allowing numerous other athletes who had over the counter cold medication in their systems.

I saw a telling headline yesterday "Breaking - Head to extend Sharapova contract"

I don't think anyone with any knowledge of sport believes it was taken for anything other than performance enhancing reasons. However, it wasn't on the banned list so she (and plenty of others) were perfectly entitled to take it.

She deserves a 4 year ban for being too stupid to stop taking it once it was on the banned list, and for admitting that when she read the WADA email containing the link listing newly banned substances didn't bother clicking it.

If tennis really wanted to get its house in order there are far more athletes who who have plenty to worry about.

Ban her, and ban her good I say.

I get the feeling that because she's attractive some feel she should be given an easy ride. Would people say the same if she was a Russian athlete or Spanish cyclist?

She is a Russian athlete (the highest paid Russian athlete, I understand). As for giving her an easy ride. Many people would be happy with any sort of ride :LOL:

I cannot be arsed with tennis, but love looking at her. Don't care what she has been taking.

Contador's 2 year ban was deemed 'excessive' by Eddy Merckx even though he's a drugs cheat and Contador came back and is currently leading the Criterium du Dauphine. Once a cheat always a cheat.

My wife hates the constant grunting noises when Sharapova is in a tennis match on the TV. So I've promised her I'll try and stop.

Back