Sync speed question

Name
Ravinder Bindra
Edit My Images
Yes
hi guys

I’ve recently purchased a Godox AD600 which has high speed sync. For the past few months, ive been using my AD180 flash which doesnt have high speed sync. My camera can only sync up to 250th I’d a second. Do I have to change any of the settings on my camera in order for it to work with the AD600? Or, will it just Work automatically? Thanks.

On most cameras you have to enable high speed sync in the x-sync settings... on Nikons it's when you choose the asterisked (max) x-sync or it will say "auto FP." On Canons I think it's called "Hi-speed" in the shutter sync menu.

You need a HSS enabled trigger. But generally on most cameras, if you’re shooting M and have a HSS enabled device connected, it just works.

You made me check... my Nikons won't even let me dial in a SS above x-sync in manual mode unless auto FP is enabled in the menu.
Ahh, they’re weird! Isn’t it true that low end Nikon’s don’t even have the option?

It seems weird that they were once proud to have the best flash functionality, now they’re barely in the game. :p

Fortunately, ‘most’ cameras are Canon, so my point was about right anyway ;)

But the OP has a Noink so he’d better check his manual.

Last edited:
Fortunately, ‘most’ cameras are Canon, so my point was about right anyway ;)

But the OP has a Noink so he’d better check his manual.
Ah, it's a D90... it supports HSS if "1/250 (Auto FP)" is selected.

I'm pretty sure Canon is just as convoluted... on some (most) you have to set the sync to "hi-speed," on some there's an "auto" setting for certain modes (Av), etc. I think what happens is we typically enable it and then forget about it... then it "just works" whenever we need it and it reverts to normal front curtain sync when we don't.

Ah, it's a D90... it supports HSS if "1/250 (Auto FP)" is selected.

I'm pretty sure Canon is just as convoluted... on some (most) you have to set the sync to "hi-speed," on some there's an "auto" setting for certain modes (Av), etc. I think what happens is we typically enable it and then forget about it... then it "just works" whenever we need it and it reverts to normal front curtain sync when we don't.
Nope, with Canon there’s a menu setting for flash sync in AV mode*, but in M it just works.

* but even in AV mode, the Auto setting (default) sets the shutter speed to between 1/30and max sync... but will just allow HSS if the flashgun is switched to HSS mode. ;)
The other settings fix the sync speed and don’t allow HSS, but again, that’s just in AV mode when you actively set the camera

Its also worth noting that the AD 180 does do HSS, you just need to change the receiver to the newer XTR16 and the transmitter to the X1T-N (you would also need the same transmitter or the X1N for HSS with the AD 600)

*Edit* or the "Pro" transmitter Godox do.

Last edited:
I have a Nikon d7200 body. I have just purchased the new X Pro N trigger that’s just come out.

All that fidling around with menus to get auto FP 1/250, HSS etc. :thinking:
On my A6000 it just work, no need to think about it or go through menus just set the shutterspeed and the TT685 do what's needed. :) Only the older AD360 need the press of the HS buttons. Now Im lusting more and more GAS for the AD200 maybe x2 and that twin bracket :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Its also worth noting that the AD 180 does do HSS, you just need to change the receiver to the newer XTR16 and the transmitter to the X1T-N (you would also need the same transmitter or the X1N for HSS with the AD 600)

*Edit* or the "Pro" transmitter Godox do.
Just as the AD360. One thing I really like about Godox, that little step to make owners of older units happy. Not to be expected from some other companies, not names mentioned ;)

All that fidling around with menus to get auto FP 1/250, HSS etc. :thinking:
On my A6000 it just work, no need to think about it or go through menus just set the shutterspeed and the TT685 do what's needed. :) Only the older AD360 need the press of the HS buttons. Now Im lusting more and more GAS for the AD200 maybe x2 and that twin bracket :)
As above, same with Canon, you’d have to actively switch it off in the menus.

Which will allow you FP sync on the ad200 and 180

Sorry, I don’t understand what this means. So do I need to change any of my settings on the camera or the trigger?

I didn’t think high speed sync is available on my Lencarta Atom 180 light...

Sorry, I don’t understand what this means. So do I need to change any of my settings on the camera or the trigger?

It is, you enable it on startup, check the manual.

As above, same with Canon, you’d have to actively switch it off in the menus.
By default Canons have this setting set to Hi-speed? Or putting the flash into HS changes that setting? Or the camera just doesn't care in manual mode?
I don't really know why Nikon would choose to prevent inadvertent use of HSS, other than the fact that it really kills power and eats batteries.

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 5.51.12 PM.jpg

By default Canons have this setting set to Hi-speed? Or putting the flash into HS changes that setting? Or the camera just doesn't care in manual mode?
I don't really know why Nikon would choose to prevent inadvertent use of HSS, other than the fact that it really kills power and eats batteries.

View attachment 116435
That's not the HSS symbol :thinking:

DSC_0321.JPG
Press the mode and set buttons simultaniously and youll see the HSS icon light up. No need to change anything on your trigger or reciever. But you do need the XTR16
DSC_0322.JPG

With the Godox/Nikon TTL system you do not have to put the flash itself into HSS mode... If the camera's flash sync is set to Auto FP the flash will switch in/out of HSS as needed via TTL communication.

If you have an early non-TTL AD180/360, then you have to manually enable HSS on the flash (via buttons) as well as manually control the HSS power level (via radio).

With the Godox/Nikon TTL system you do not have to put the flash itself into HSS mode... If the camera's flash sync is set to Auto FP the flash will switch in/out of HSS as needed via TTL communication.

If you have an early non-TTL AD180/360, then you have to manually enable HSS on the flash (via buttons) as well as manually control the HSS power level (via radio).
Im not aware of an AD180 TTL version so assumed we talked non ttl.

Im not aware of an AD180 TTL version so assumed we talked non ttl.
Right, I believe the 180 is discontinued now and was never TTL (replaced by the TTL AD200). But this thread is getting a bit confusing as the original question was in regards to the AD600 TTL.

It also begs the question as to what purpose the HSS button serves in the Nikon TTL versions... it's either a carryover for Canon compatibility(?), or it is used to put the head into HSS when used with a manual trigger (XT32?).

I have both the 600 TTL strobe and the lencarta atom 180 strobe which I believe is non TTL.

I plan on keeping both of these flashes so would like to know how to get them working in high speed sync mode if at all possible with both. If not, then Just the 600.

As above, they’ll both happily HSS with a HSS trigger and a suitable receiver for the AD180 (pictured above). The AD600 automatically switches to HSS IIRC, the AD180 requires the pressing of the 2 buttons simultaneously (as in the image above).

It’s really not difficult. Using your x pro n trigger, you’ll want them in different groups, but remember to keep everything on the same channel.

Back