Synology DS216j Video Station

Edit My Images
Yes
Recently we have bought our first NAS, mainly want to backup photos,videos and be able to watch films from it. I have downloaded the video station app from Synology, it plays all the videos fine except for the avi format ones. We have VLC installed but it just doesn't play the avi videos. From the Synology help page, the video station supports the avi and I am a bit confused as how to sort it out. It simply shows 'the video format is not supported by My computer.' Anyone can advise how to get it work? Searched the web, it seems it is a long going issue, and it is getting very annoying and frustrated as it is all we want from the NAS. Any suggestion/advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

As Neil says, AVI is the wrapper for a number of codecs, look into the properties of the video and, you will very likely be able to download the correct codec..........providing the Synology has support for it.

I've got the same drive and I have the same problem. Some AVI files play and some do not, the codec is crucial but you can always convert the files in something like VLC - which is free :)

Saving them to a MP4 format should help, I had 100's of AVI movies and after converting them all I still had 3 that wouldn't play via Video Station browser and app, but the files still play fine straight form the synology drive.

Back