Synology NAS and Hyper backup versioning

A_S

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi - posting here as it may save me signing up to other boards in order to post. I've read a few posts suggesting its incremental but still unsure as information is fairly mixed and ambiguous

Failing getting an answer I'll just do some dummy tests.

I've just bought a second NAS to host my back up off site. I have a lot of data and most of my HDDs are around 50% or so of total capacity used. The same will be the case in the backup NAS

so... to simplify, if I have a 4TB drive and 3TB of data to back up - I can't use versioning as there isn't enough space for a second version - Is this assertion correct?

(NB I have a lot more than that, I am talking 60tb here this is just a simplified example)

Or....

For example if 90% of the data is unchanged, does the versioning only back up the 10% thats changed or does it back up the whole thing again?

Last edited:
Back in the days of using enterprise backup software, the file versioning only backed up the file. On a comsumer product I have no idea.

You can use versioning. Only the files that have changed are backed up so you will find that the incremental backups are tiny in comparison to the first full backup

Thanks - are you 100% sure on that?

100%. I have a hyper backup to a raspberry pi in another building at my house. I backup around 600Gb data onto a 1tb HDD with 15 days versioning.

Another quick question

How does it deal with files or folders that are renamed... For example if I decide to rename a folder but no files get renamed does synology hypercloud pick this up or is it not that clever?

I.e if its just a renamed folder all that needs to happen is for it to rename the folder on the backup no need to version it as a newer copy as nothing has really changed.

At the moment i use free file sync and its quite dumb when it comes to this - if it detects a folder no loger exists (i.e its renamed) its position is to delete that folder. At the same time it will recognise a new folder (the renamed folder) has been created and think those are new files. In reality all i've done is rename the folder

I've never really looked into the workings in great details so not sure.

No worries - got all up and running. Running a test on synology photos for a few days to see how it performs - with the smart backup set to the default options. its backed up a 45mb folder twice and come upto 96mb... so lets see how it peforms over the next few days...!

Another quick one - do you know the best way to set up a custom schedule. I am struggling to get my head around it. Read a few bits (not watched any videos yet).

If I wanted to have a backup thats

1.) A backup thats a year old
2.) A backup thats 6 months old
3.) a back up thats a month old
4.) a back up thats 2 weeks old
5.) last weeks backup

I am not quite sure what logic (and thats what I need to get my head around) steps I need to acheive this, Obviously the month old backup would fall off the end of the cliff once it gets X old (i am not sure what that is? 2 months? 1 month 1 day? then be replaced by the 2 week old back up at some point - possible when that gets to 2 weeks old - but wont that fall off when it gets over written by the "new" 2 week old backup?

So what I am saying is that unless my schedule is linier, 2 week, 4 week, 6 week, 12 week - its not gonna work? I am struggling to see how it works otherwise.

Back