Syrp super dark variable ND filter

Edit My Images
Yes
I will expect be recieved this new syrp super dark variable ND filter soon so I just wondering anyone who's been using this new filter. Does it benefit to you than a single ND filter?

Not heard of that brand, but not really surprising, there are loads of different names out there for basically the same thing.
They can be useful around water and also have a polarising effect, they are in fact made from 2 polarising filters.
Take some time to experiment, see what it can do for you, they can be very effective.
The one thing not to do is put it on, turn to it's darkest setting and expect it to produce great results. Most are only useable upto about 2/3rds of the way up the scale before they start to get darker in the corners and going further you eventually get a dark X across the image. Find it's limitations and work within them and you should find it a useful piece of kit.

Here's a short video clip of syrp super dark filter. It looks good & is it worth to buy?

Having seen now how much they cost and a couple of reviews, I wouldn't buy one.
Seems to suffer from the same limitations as those much, much cheaper.

I've got to admit, this is unfortunately the saddest pattern in Internet forums.

Complete newbie comes along and asks for advice. :)

Then next thing he announces he's bought something and wants to ask if anyone has advice. o_O

Just reading the reviews would tell you not to buy it. Or ask here first. :tumbleweed:

Variable ND's have their fans, they're few and far between, for the same money you could have bought the best ND filter instead of getting something inherently flawed.

Variable ND's have their fans, they're few and far between, for the same money you could have bought the best ND filter instead of getting something inherently flawed.

Well I guess you could class me as a fan, but I wouldn't pay more than £10-£20 for one.

Just a thought, was it bought from somewhere that you could return it for a refund.
It says in their advertising that it doesn't suffer from the X pattern across it, but having watched a couple of reviews on youtube, they both showed that it does at the darkest settings, so there could be grounds for returning it if you want to.
You could then get a cheap one and a 10 stop filter for less than £50.

Yup variable ND are useful for video work, but for stills it really is better to opt for a non-variable as they all suffer from the same X pattern at its darkest.

Return it, and pick up a standard non-variable option. Dependent on your front element size, these are also relatively expensive but much cheaper than what you paid for that.

And for an awful lot less money you could have bought matching diameter circular polarising and linear polarising filters, stacked them and made your own VND filter.

I picked up a Formatt Hitech Firecrest 10 stopper for just over £50 and I've been using a lot. I may get one other, either a 3 or more likely a 6 stopper which srill works out less than the £200.

Back