T189 Open University Course

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone here done the T189 Open University Digital Photography Course? A friend of mine suggested it, and im quite tempted after just getting my new Dslr. I would like to know if anyone has done it and what i can expect to gain from it as i am a beginner with hardly any knowledge of processing. Its £190 for a 10 week course and its all done online (except for actually getting out and taking some photos).

How much can you learn in 10 weeks? Also Adobe Elements 8 is supplied free with the course and you are allowed to keep it once the course is finished.

If anyone with any experience with this course could let me know what they think of it, I would be very greatful

Thanks
Stephen (y)(y)

I was very tempted to do this, and am still considering it. I think it's a good idea and my only reservation is that, like you said, it's all online.
Before committing to the course I'm going to search around the local colleges to see if there are evening classes that I can attend, contact time with classmates and a lecturer (a competent lecturer) seems preferable to online submissions and remote critique, but maybe that's just me.

I did it a few years ago and, to be honest, the first few weeks were a little basic, but it depends on your knowledge currently and your willingness to revisit things you may already know.

The tutorials etc. were very good and the weekly assignments got you out with the camera thinking about what you are seeing.

To get the best from it, you really need to immerse yourself in the group you are assigned to each week online and give feedback on the images in your pool as this also helps with the understanding of the elements they are teaching that week and how others interpret them.

I'd say it's a good starting point for the fundamentals and, at £190, it isn't going to break the bank in the process.

I also did T189 a couple of years back.

It is aimed to cover a wide audience, so some bits can seam a bit basic, but does give a good general grounding.

Regarding price, you can use Tesco Clubcard points towards OU courses, so can get it for ~ £70 (£60x3 vouchers + £10).

In addition, you receive Photoshop Elements as part of the course which is useful if you don't already have it (not sure which version).

And, of course, you are officially a Student while on the course, so can buy other software at Student prices (EG Lightroom or CS) which are much lower than retail - and licences are still valid after you finish the course.

Back