Tablet-Android or Windows

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking to buy a lightweight, budget (<£200) tablet for travelling purpose and to view and store Canon CR2 raw files, as well as the usual internet, emails etc.
Any thoughts on whether I should opt for an android or Windows 10 tablet and if so any recommendations as I realise my options are limited by the budget .
I presume that I will also need a raw file viewer app.

I use a Samsung Galaxy 8" Tab S2 when I travel, you can download the Lightroom mobile app to view raw.
Mainly have mine as a back up storage device, for extra space it takes a 128gb micro sd card.
Transfer onto it with a micro sd card reader, also handy to have a flick through what you have taken.
Does all the usual stuff quickly and efficiently, I have the older Tab S 10.5 too, still going after a few years

The Huawei Mediapad M5 gets great reviews for its screen, though may be above budget.

I have a T3 version, which might suffice if you don't need the resolution. A steal at £79 on BT Shop currently.

To answer your question , Android, have look at Currys they have the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 inch for £199 or the 8 inch for £139 plus a load of others that are within your budget

I was in a similar position to you recently. I opted to go down the Windows route and ended up buying a used Dell Venue 11 Pro plus detachable keyboard (tablet is discontinued hence 2nd hand purchase)

It cost me £150 all in.

The keyboard is detachable for a true tablet experience but is there when typing is required.
A big plus side is the keyboard also has a built in battery so I can get over 15 hours of battery life for basic use and around about the 8 to 9 hour mark for things like photo editing/Netflix.

It uses an Intel core m processor so is completely silent, has 4gb ram and a 128gb M.2 sata SSD so is nice and snappy.
(also takes a micro SD card, sim card and has a full size USB slot)

I use mine with full blown Photoshop CC amongst other things. The screen is FHD so nice and crisp.

The crucial thing for me was I didn't want a 32gb windows tablet as it is a nightmare doing updates with limited space to play with.

Here's some images which show it of a little better

DSCF1325 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

DSCF1326 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

DSCF1328 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all, some useful data.
I have looked at the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 and the Huawei Mediapad M5 but didn't know if they would manage raw files.
The Dell also looks interesting as it has the keyboard and could load PS Elements, but I would be interested in its combined weight as I will be limited on an internal flight.

I have looked at the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 and the Huawei Mediapad M5 but didn't know if they would manage raw files.

They will depending on what app you use for viewing your photos, plenty of options

The Dell also looks interesting as it has the keyboard and could load PS Elements, but I would be interested in its combined weight as I will be limited on an internal flight.

The Dell has a weight of just under 1.4kg (tablet and keyboard)

I bought a Linx 12 inch tablet and keyboard running W10 earlier this year for £90 refurb. It has a nice hd screen, 64gb memory allowing updates and takes a 128gb micro-sd card. Editing is slow but doable, about the same as an older laptop.

Given a choice of Windows or Android, I'd pick Windows all the way. Better resource management, connectivity, software choice, interface. Android will obviously work, but with greater overheads on the system.

combined weight as I will be limited on an internal flight.

Wear a jacket that has a pocket big enough to hold the thing - weight isn't an issue then.

Back