Tablet recomendation

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
I hope this is in the right bit, if not let me know and I will move or any mods feel free to move it to a more suitable location.

Right, I am looking for a tablet just to use as a electronic portfolio so I can show some images when needed. Not bothered about much else apart from this feature, so very basic will do.

So has anyone got any recommendations??

Cheerz

ipad, or maybe the fancy samsung galaxy ones with the pen would be good, think they do a 12" one now

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 and whilst I think it's a great tab I find the colors are very saturated so not sure it would be appropriate for portfolios.

To be honest as much as I dislike apple I think their latest tablets still lead the market for displays

ive heard the new sony tablet or samsung might have better screen than ipad, think it was sony, notsure

I have an iPad and pictures do look very good but I am considering buying a Nexus or some other cheapo Android device purely to use with DSLR Dashboard and the Wu-1b on my D610.

Depends how big you want it to be and what your budget is. The Nexus 7 2013 (or v2) is a good choice for a 7" tablet. The iPad mini retina's also nice if you want to go with Apple. Going bigger the Sony XPeria Z does have a very good screen (the Z2 is out, or our soon) and the Galaxy Note 3 is very good as well.

I did have an original Nexus 7 that failed a year to the day after I bought it. Tesco gave me a full refund as they no longer stocked it. I have an ipad now but keep thinking of getting another android tablet as well.

Last edited:
thinking more about it, i think you should either either carry prints about, or look into the extra utility a tablet can offer, because a real photo is more captivating, will be cheaper, and less tempting for a hoodlum to steal.
if your just going for photo frame then you need to decide on size, then try and get one with a good screen thats not too expensive and not too crappy

thinking more about it, i think you should either either carry prints about, or look into the extra utility a tablet can offer, because a real photo is more captivating, will be cheaper, and less tempting for a hoodlum to steal.
if your just going for photo frame then you need to decide on size, then try and get one with a good screen thats not too expensive and not too crappy

The othe issue is that prints have a depth and bett colour resolution than screens, but it'll be interesting to hear if tablets are accepted devices for portfolios now.

I hope this is in the right bit, if not let me know and I will move or any mods feel free to move it to a more suitable location.

Right, I am looking for a tablet just to use as a electronic portfolio so I can show some images when needed. Not bothered about much else apart from this feature, so very basic will do.

So has anyone got any recommendations??

Cheerz

If it's just for a folio.... just get whatever is cheapest for the size you need.

The othe issue is that prints have a depth and bett colour resolution than screens, but it'll be interesting to hear if tablets are accepted devices for portfolios now.

Prints are still preferred in my experience... but the convenience of a iPad etc is making very common across the board. You can be far more critical with a print... and people like prints. Depends who the clients are though. If it's anyone who is remotely concerned with quality, then you can't beat a print folio.... assuming your printing is good that is... otherwise stick to the digital one, as it hides many flaws :)

Thanks for all the comments/ideas. I don't really want to spend much at all !
My main thing, rather than it being a replacment for a traditional protfolio (Prints can't be beaten) I would use it for showing images to people / places I might want access to or to use for a shoot. I find people/place more open to suggestions/ideas if you can show them stuff that you have shot, and it is good as for certain things you should be able to tailor your images to suit.

I have a Windows Surface RT and am very happy with it. Mrs Nod had an iPad for a while and found the lack of connectivity a pita. Yes, she could have bought an extra to add that but it was a work's machine not hers. The Surface has a USB port, a slot for a micro SD card and a micro HDMI socket.

I'm currently lying on a beach in southern Thailand, using an original mk1 iPad, which I picked up very cheaply. Seemed sensible that I didn't wreck my wife's new one. IOS 5 is reasonably quick on it, and Im shooting in raw and small jpeg. The small jpeg get transferred to the iPad via a cheap aftermarket sd card reader.

Handy just to check the images or to play/email images or browse TP - so don't discount the cheap option (although the new retina displays and faster processors are good).

I picked up an Acer Iconia W5 whilst in Australia. I was almost going to buy a Surface RT but I wanted something with a full version of Windows 8 and I managed to pick this up.

Pookeyhead - my first tutor asked for prints. I thought how old fashioned, we're all digital now, but there's a world of difference which I see now. iPad is ok to quickly show someone an image, but I always send in prints now.

a 7 or 8" device might be good then, maybe a playbook? if its just to show images, there a nice looking device, have gps too, connectivity isnt good on them tho (no usb host)

The lg g pad has a very good screen for the money 8.3" gets pretty good reviews and is under 200 quid!

I got a Sony XPeria Z a couple of weeks ago, can't use the damn thing ( that's just me) but the image quality is truly amazing

An OLED display wipes the floor with any printer in terms of reproducible colours and dynamic range.

I use a Galaxy Tab2 10.1" Connectivity is fine with a sim card and wifi, but i pay £16 pm for the privilege of the Sim card..

If it's simply for showing off photos to clients, the wifi only version would be great, you can even connect to a camera via cable and software and show the images as they've been shot..

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 and whilst I think it's a great tab I find the colors are very saturated so not sure it would be appropriate for portfolios.

I also have Galaxy Tab 3 8" and although I use it mainly for web browsing I also have a selection of my photos on it and I think it shows them off really well. Also its very slim and light so very portable.

I use a Galaxy Tab2 10.1" Connectivity is fine with a sim card and wifi, but i pay £16 pm for the privilege of the Sim card..

If it's simply for showing off photos to clients, the wifi only version would be great, you can even connect to a camera via cable and software and show the images as they've been shot..

you could look at ovivo, or on hotukdeals, probably better options if you dont use alot of data...

Forget any samsungs before the current note screen (and possibly the tab 3) - they are a bit rubbish for images.

Had a tab 10.1, tab 2 10.1 and a note 10.1

I thought the first one had a problem - showed banding, and a general lack of pop.

I like the resolution of the new note, now that makes images look nice :)

I don't have experience of the tab 3 but I believe it's an upgrade...

Last edited:
An OLED display wipes the floor with any printer in terms of reproducible colours and dynamic range.
Do tablet displays have 24 bit colour? How about the dpi or ppi?
They are good and handy devices to carry a number of images on, the newer displays are crisp and bright (at the expense of needing more battery power) but not yet to the standard of a good print. They work because of the typical viewing distance of a tablet and the resolution (and some clever marketing :) )

oled is nearly always oversaturated to some degree. so that does make alot of stuff look "better", if your showing off post processed work then you might have a issue of it looking too saturated.

a print, assuming its good is just a better experience, heck ive shot some outdated film that turned to have aged like a methhead, and the prints look way better than the scans did on screen.

There are many ideas to look at and it has opened up a decent little discussion too.

Thanks all.

you could look at ovivo, or on hotukdeals, probably better options if you dont use alot of data...

As a follow up, Ovivo went bust this afternoon, ceased trading at around 6pm.

They were still taking SIM card orders right up to the site going off line.

Forget any samsungs before the current note screen (and possibly the tab 3) - they are a bit rubbish for images.

Had a tab 10.1, tab 2 10.1 and a note 10.1

I thought the first one had a problem - showed banding, and a general lack of pop.

I like the resolution of the new note, now that makes images look nice :)

I don't have experience of the tab 3 but I believe it's an upgrade...

I have Tab 2 10.1 and Tab 3 8. The Tab 3 is excellent and a big improvement over Tab 2.

I have a cheapo Prestigio 8" tablet from PC World, was about £80 I think. Runs Android 4.2 and it's really nice. I use it when going to meet couples who want to book weddings. Sometimes I think it's a little small and should have gone for 10" but it works really well.

I take an album as well but load specific example photos on the tablet relevant to what I think the couple would like. When it's not working, it's great for surfing the web, emailing and playing games (Dream League Soccer is a corker ;))

I just got a Toshiba Encore 8" Windows 8 tablet for both the wife and myself the other day. It's a Quad core 1.3Ghz Atom processor with 2Gb DDR3 ram so it's no slouch and the colour reproduction is excellent for photos. The screen produces a nice crisp image and it's got a HDMI output so you can connect to a TV if you want to show your work. It was about £200, but IMO it was money well spent. I've just put a 64Gb Sandisk MicroSD card in it for keeping my most recent photos on for display purposes.

Back