Tablet recommendations

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I like the idea of using a tablet for backing up my photos while travelling. Ideally I'd like to plug in my compact flash cards directly into the tablet to copy my raw (.nef) files, view them, delete the duds and then copy the remainder to my pc at home for final edit.

Any specific tablets work best for this workflow?

Cheers.
Andy

iPad doesn't read CF directly unless you plug in the camera connection kit and a CF reader or camera to USB.

Other tablets don't read NEF files.

Your choice what is more important.

Hi Andy,

my thread is looking at the same thing - "PC TABLET - WHICH ONE?" I know that the Acer A500 works, but feel there are probably others out there that do as well. Looking to see who uses what.

Asus eeepad is fantastic, but it doesn't have a usb port

Thanks hsuffyam. The transformer is the one I'd like to use if it can support my workflow. I've heard that Android doesn't support raw files but I've seen apps that should work. Then all I need is a compact flash reader (don't fancy replacing all my cards with wifi cards!)

Andy

You could always go for a Windows tablet so you could install Photoshop and the whole shebang on it... But they're not as optimized for touch input as Android or iOS tablets, so if you go down that road you might as well consider getting a netbook instead.

You can get an overview of things here if you choose Windows as operating system on the left column: http://www.otest.co.uk/computer-hardware/2564/tablet-pcs.html . Most of them are convertibles, but there seem to be a couple of decent Win7 tablets there like the Zoostorm and the Asus Eee Pad EP 121...

What you have suggested is exactly how I use my iPad, with the camera connection kit. Whilst we were away over the summer I took it with me and was able to connect my 20D and sort through the good, the bad and the scowlly. In the evenings I could use Snapseed or Photogene to edit the images and either email them to family or upload to my gallery.

I appreciate not everyone loves Apple, but I found it worked for me and although it isn't the complete Photoshop experience, it's close enough for me when I'm on the road.

Last edited:
That sounds very interesting indeed. Always wondered why apple hadn't done that yet with aperture. One to watch.

Back