Tablet

Name
James Everiss
Edit My Images
Yes
I have seen a new Wacom Intuos 3 4 x 6-Inch Wide Format Pen Tablet for what looks to be a good price (£50) but thought I would check with those of you that are familiar with tablets before I commit. Any comments would be appreciated.

From experience cheap tablets are slow and have questionable screens. The best cheap ones i have found are the Amazon ones.

Thanks Rob but I think that as a graphics tablet the Wacom are amongst the best. Having said that I am not sure about this particular model so would like someone familiar with Wacom to throw some light on it for me.

I'm getting my tablets mixed up. :confused:

Must be an age thing Rob :thinking: I've suffered with it for years !

Last edited:
I use the Wacom Bamboo tablet which was replaced by the Intuos and I really like it. It does everything I need and provides more precise control than the mouse when editing photos

Yes, I looked at getting the bamboo myself but thought that the deal on the Intuos was perhaps to good to miss.

I got the Intuos small tablet Pen and Touch. The pen part is great and works as expected. The main benefit in PP over using a mouse, I find, is the pressure sensitivity. It can drive the opacity or the brush size. The latter allowing you to paint big areas with a big size quickly, then go round fine detail with a small size all in one stroke. Just by pressing harder or softer.

I got the touch version to save me swapping mouse and pen all the time. However the touch works backwards, and does not invert via the driver. So I've disabled it. YMMV.

Last edited:
I'm still rocking an intuos 4 here... fab tablet. I'd have no hesitation in upgrading to the 5 when it breaks. The 5 isn't as pretty as the 4... but that's a triviality I suppose.

It might sound odd to some, but there are other tabs out there other than Wacom's. Took a punt and bought a Huion H610 professional to replace a broken Bamboo, cost £40. Miles better than the bamboo it replaced and more importantly much better drivers (for win7 anyway). I've always thought Wacom were far too overpriced.....................................now i KNOW it.

It might sound odd to some, but there are other tabs out there other than Wacom's. Took a punt and bought a Huion H610 professional to replace a broken Bamboo, cost £40. Miles better than the bamboo it replaced and more importantly much better drivers (for win7 anyway). I've always thought Wacom were far too overpriced.....................................now i KNOW it.
Good Point. Maybe the Huion drivers are better because Huion are hungry for market share and Wacom are getting fat from all the Wacom recommendations here. I guess I picked Wacom to be safe, because many people said it works well on Linux. But in reality the Huion works just as well.
Incidentally, what is better about the Huion drivers?

Last edited:
Wacom's drivers for some time have been very hit and miss depending on what hardware you are running. In all honesty, i expected the same from Huion's drivers. But was very surprised when everything "just worked" straight out the box on all the different systems i have. As i said, it was a bit of a punt on my part and a completely unexpected outcome. I would have no hesitation changing all my tabs to Huion as and when they need to be changed. With tabs of this quality and at this price, Wacom just look to me as if they are taking us all for mugs. If the Huion falls to bits in six months, i might eat my words lol........................................but at that price i might just buy another one.

Having just got photoshop cc I now understand how useful a good tablet will be, I've read a load of opinions that the bigger the screen the better, do the small intuos tablets do a decent job or would I notice a big benefit from a medium screen?

Having just got photoshop cc I now understand how useful a good tablet will be, I've read a load of opinions that the bigger the screen the better, do the small intuos tablets do a decent job or would I notice a big benefit from a medium screen?

They work on screen pixels, so just zoom in - double (or whatever) your tablet size for free.

I have a little A6 tablet. No issues in the last 6 years for PS work. People who spend half their lives in PS or other graphics programmes may have a different experience though.

I'm still rocking an intuos 4 here... fab tablet. I'd have no hesitation in upgrading to the 5 when it breaks. The 5 isn't as pretty as the 4... but that's a triviality I suppose.

Same here. I use a large as I like the resolution of it, makes it very controllable. Didn't like the smaller ones.

Smaller ones are OK, but obviously, if you're controlling a cursor on a 30" screen with a A5 or A6 tablet, then your movements are ging to be greatly magnified if the tablet area is mapped to the monitor screen. You CAN set most tablets to not do this though, so in order to move across the screen you can use multiple swipes to travel the screen area. That helps with smaller tablets.

I find the sweet spot in size to be the Wacom "medium" tablets.

Back