Take 2 - downhill mountain biking

Name
Sarah
Edit My Images
Yes
So picking up on some of the advice offered following attempt number one the other week I headed out to the hills with my mate Tom and has another go... (sadly he wore a high proportion of white again, will give him a more specific dress code next time...)

Now I begin to appreciate there is a lot to master to get the results I am striving for, but, practise makes perfect and I'm certainly enjoying it

As ever your comments and advice are welcomed (y)

Zig zags by [smb], on Flickr

Whip by [smb], on Flickr

Thanks for looking :)

Liking #2. Try a selective color and darken the sky down to make the rider 'pop' a bit more.

I like both of them, but #2 would be my preference. You might want to try using a slower shutter speed and pan with the bike. Those trees in the background would look great blurred while you catch the bike sharp. Might be best to try and get 90 degrees to the subject too. All pretty difficult to achieve I accept, but that would really make the shot, introducing a greater sense of movement. IMHO.

I'm thinking of doing some shots like this. Did you light these off camera?

Number two (y)

Only thing i would possibly change is try to darken the rider to stand out a bit more.

Martin - yeah they were lit off camera, #1 flash was to right of camera and low and #2 flash was to camera left and below/in front of the rider.

I will experiment with shutter speed once I think I have got the knack of the lighting, at the moment that is the bit I'm really having to learn & following my first attempt the other week I was aiming to really 'freeze' the rider this time

All - thanks for the comments, satisfying to see the improvement :)

Back