Take anywhere camera

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
No
I am considering purchasing a 'take anywhere' camera to supplement my 7D.

Due to the fact i am hoping to take the camera on a skiing holiday in the new year i have been looking at the Olympus Tough TG-1.

I have read a few reviews on the camera but was wondering if anyone has some hands on experience with it and whether there are alternatives to consider?

Thanks

Thanks both, i have the iPhone4 which goes with me everywhere.

But looking for something that will survive skiing well rather than underwater; as for the phone - my contract is out soon so an upgrade is on the horizon.:clap:

I have the iphone 5 and the camera is rubbish in anything but great light. It's also not very water proof, not much good if you drop it in the snow.

I take a regular compact camera when I go snowboarding and have yet to have problems with water damage. But then, I've never dropped it.

My biggest issues have been around battery life in the cold.

When I went to the ski show there was a natty waterproof case for the 4/4s and a wide angle adaptor - sagely not yet avail for the 5.

I disagree with the post about the iphone camera being poor. Way better than my Ixus.

I will be taking my D7K skiing as well as my iPhone 5 - neither have waterproof cases.

You can disagree all you like. I have an ip5, I wouldn't depend on it in anything but the brightest conditions. You have zero control over exposure/aperture/anything really ... if it was any good I wouldn't have bothered/needed to buy an RX100

If it does the job for you, good stuff, you're not too fussy.

Last edited:
I used a Panny TZ7 boarding last year in -20C in Japan...no problems at all, it got snowed on a fair bit and worked fine, I'm not precious about my kit.

This year I'll be taking the GoPro HD2 and RX100 :)

Just my 2p. My Panasonic FT2 kept fogging up when I went skiing last year and it died when I went swimming with it in Portugal this summer. Their toughness is questionable.

As for take anywhere cam, I just got myself an S100. Brand new for £199 from WEX which I think is a great deal.

Thanks everyone, this has been very useful and given me a lot to think about.

I have a GoPro i can borrow for some video; will take a look at the S100 and RX100.

Back