Take care out there - photographer drowns on Harris beach

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
http://www.hebrides-news.com/beach-accident-woman-named-21319.html
http://www.hebrides-news.com/woman-dies-nisabost-20319.html

Sad story - take care everyone. From what I've found online she was an exceptionally good photographer (ARPS etc).

When I'm out and about I have an internal "sketchiness" rating as I wander around. This helps me keep evaluating my situation, the environment, and the conditions. These days I'm significantly more risk averse than in my younger days, but I still find myself in tricky situations needing very heightened awareness.

Last edited:
Yes very sad however at least she was doing something that she ( presumably) enjoyed which has to be better than staying at home doing nothing and "waiting for God"!

We are immortal and all at risk ALL of the time even sat here typing there is no gaurantee that the heavy light fitting above my head won't fall and kill me or even that this computer won't suddenly blow up in my face.

Ironically I was out alone yesterday to photograph a mountain scene on Large Format film which involved a scramble onto a rock which with a tripod, rucksacj and myself atop, was quite a squeeze with a steep drop down everyside varying from about 30ft to several hundred feet.

It naturally crossed my mind about going for a flight ( or more importanty the gear going! :LOL:) but what are we to do?, do nothing, only go to 'safe' environments ( what ever they may be!).

No amount of 'taking care' or 'being safe' is going to alleviate risk….If it's meant to be then it will happen!

In the meantime just get out there and live!

Very sad indeed, looking through her 500px she was a talented and well-travelled photographer, bet she never imagined anything like that happening. I agree with Asha’s thoughts though

It is a good idea to wait and watch rocks near the sea for a little while before you go on them. Every now and again a big wave will hit and watching helps you work out the risk.

It is a good idea to wait and watch rocks near the sea for a little while before you go on them. Every now and again a big wave will hit and watching helps you work out the risk.

This - and coastal work carried other risks such as tripping and falling into the sea, or a very bad knock to the head. I personally rarely shoot seascapes, I have terrible balance and it's just not an environment I would cope well in plus it's not something I am drawn too.

Back