Taking a camera into Wimbledon

Name
Oscar Dewhurst
Edit My Images
No
I am going to Wimbledon tomorrow and am wondering if they will let me take my camera in. It is a Nikon D60 with the Sigma 50-500 and if they don't let me take it in I will have nowhere to put it.

Cheers

Oscar

No, they won't. Don't take it as you won't even get past the gates. You would need a photographer's pass (mucho money and no hope getting one). I have a friend who is a member who I asked.

Funny you should mention this, I was watching the djokovic game tonight and I pointed out to my wife how many cameras were in the crowd and I noticed a Nikon D90 being used to video him by a girl in the crowd and also saw many more SLRs. :)

I just wouldn't want to go in and find out that they won't let me take it through the gates as I would have nowhere to put it. :(

just found this on their website:

"Photography

The use of photographic equipment must not inconvenience any other person in the Grounds. Still photographs, film, videotape or other audio-visual material recorded within the Grounds may not be sold or used commercially in any way whatsoever unless authorised by the AELTC and may be confiscated by the Club if such sale or commercial use is suspected."

Interesting that they don't seem to prohibit it completely there unlike in football. Sounds much like the rules at RIAT where of course many cameras are used!

just found this on their website:

"Photography

The use of photographic equipment must not inconvenience any other person in the Grounds. Still photographs, film, videotape or other audio-visual material recorded within the Grounds may not be sold or used commercially in any way whatsoever unless authorised by the AELTC and may be confiscated by the Club if such sale or commercial use is suspected."

A Bigma wouldn't inconvenience anyone, would it? :D

No, they won't. Don't take it as you won't even get past the gates. You would need a photographer's pass (mucho money and no hope getting one). I have a friend who is a member who I asked.

I took in my D90 + 70-200 no problem, no questions asked. I saw plenty of people with larger lens/body combinations too.

I took in a 300/4 on Monday, my brother a 70-200, no problems, no questions asked. I think there is a secure storage site there too just in case they do get stroppy. Loads of photographers. But the seats are packed in a bit so neighbours might get upset if you use big lenses inconsiderably. I sat between my brother and a friend so got away with it.

The use of photographic equipment must not inconvenience any other person in the Grounds.

Very vague, although its to late i would have thought a telephone call to the ground and a name obtained if allowed, would have been the route to take.

There's no problem - the ground rules state that you can take photos so long as you aren't going to sell them - that's straight from the Wimbledon website.

Wednesday after work me and two friends had the folloing gear - 1DmkII +70-200 IS L, 300D + 100-400 IS L, 40D + 70 - 300 IS DO and not a problem. Its a refreshing attitude that many other venues could learn from!

Enjoy!

Mark.

A wee look at the numerous Wimbledon threads right here would have answered your question.

Yep, took a bag full of gear last year and had no problems when going through security, nobody even batted an eyelid.

I had my camera (although not a DSLR) in my bag. When the person searched it she asked "Whats this?", pointing to my gorillapod. I said a camera stand and she was cool with that.

i was there on saturday with my point and shoot. wish i had taken my DSLR.....lots of people had large semi/pro cameras. they search you when you arrive, but no-one was turned away for having a large camera.

oops - just realised you got in!

Last edited:
Was watching the Federer match earlier, and a woman with either a D3 or D300 with a decent sized lens kept appearing in shot every so often..

Back