Taking a light meter reading for a medium format?

Edit My Images
Yes
I know this has probably been discussed before and people say to take a reading from your digital camera. That sounds easy enough but which mode would you put your digital in - auto? Sorry if this sounds......:thinking:

Use aperture priority, set the iso to the iso of the film you are using.
Choose the aperture you want to use and the camera will calculate the shutter speed.
Or use shutter priority.....etc

If you use auto, you will have to set all the film camera settings to what the digital camera chooses.

I agree with Joxers there. A nicety of using your digital camera to determine the exposure, is that if you can match the fleld of view on both cameras in the viewfinders, then using evaluative or matrix metering on the digital camera should give you a very accurate exposure on the MF camera for most 'average' situations.

I'd invest in a hand-held meter if you can. Relying on another camera's meter is a bit hit and miss. Also, your metering technique will vary depending on whether you are shooting transparency or negative film stock.
To get the best results...
For transparency, you need to expose for the highlights (similarly for digital you need to do the same) to stop them blocking up.
So, for example, take a meter reading off the part of the scene where you want to have detail in the highlights and increase the exposure by 2 - 21/2 stops. So, an indicated shutter speed of say 1/250 would become 1/60 or an aperture of f11 would become f5.6
For (B&W) negative film, you need to expose for the shadows and develop for the highlights.
In this example, you take a meter reading from a shadow area where you want there to be detail and decrease the exposure by 2 stops. So an indicated shutterspeed of 1/60 would become 1/250 or an aperture of f8 would become f16.

Regards

Mark

Back