Beginner Taking Faster shots

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Ive been using a Nikon D3200 for a couple of years now to learn photography. I have a good range of lenses, with the most expensive being a Nikon 300mm F4 prime. Others include a Nikon 50-200mm, 35mm prime and cheap Sigma 70-300mm zoom.
I really want to learn how to pan and my hobby is aviation so would love to be able to take sharp aircraft shots, hoping to get to the Mach Loop to get some of the fast jets and large transport planes coming through.
I'm wondering if its the equipment letting me down as my fast jet Airshow shots are not as good as a lot of others I see, and I really struggle to get good crisp shots of slower prop aircraft, retaining prop blur and a sharp focus.
Would a better body help me improve, maybe going for one of the more expensive Nikons (crop sensor) or am I blaming the equipment and its my techniques that are to blame?

Hi Jason

Being a Canon user I have no idea in regard to the spec of the 3200 but I have over the years used lesser spec bodies and they can limit what can be achieved. However all photography requires 'good' technique.....only then will you find the limits of the gear!

For example, my old 350D had poor AF Servo focusing. When I upgraded to the 40D it was to get improved AFServo function that aided my keeper rate of panned shots. (I have since moved on to a 5D mk3 though still have a 7D that I have not used for a good while!)

So to summarise ~ perhaps post some images of your good ones and your poor ones with theEXIF intact. That will help folk give some techniques insight. And all being well those with your 3200 can offer thoughts on its usage.

Last edited:
Before going to the next airshow, maybe practice on cars, bikes, etc? Popping your camera on shutter priority initially may help you get the hang of adjusting the shutter up or down and it will allow you to see if you are getting the results you're after with regards to gear. If you can get someone to ride a pushbike past you a few times, it may be good practice. I know planes are a little quicker than bikes, but just to see if the quality is there, it may help.

Still learning re panning - found that 1/125th gives me more hits than 1/50th or so. Think it's my body movement, still find it hard to FLOW. (Yes, my editing skills and style are crap, but I like it.) As Moey says, get out there and try bikes, cars etc.

Moose TT Series Race 1-244-Edit.jpg

Panning shots of predictable subjects aren't a great strain on a camera's AF system tbh and I would expect to be able get good results with the D3200. Where better cameras will help is initial AF acquisition and/or when subjects are moving quickly towards/away from you.

My initial thoughts are to practice more but if you can post some images you're not happy with maybe we can share views on how they can be improved.

They're not too bad. Are they cropped at all, especially the 2nd?

They've probably all got a degree of crop on them yes. Ironically, the 2nd one was taken with the £80 sigma 70-300mm. The other 2 with the more expensive 300mm Nikon prime F4.

They've probably all got a degree of crop on them yes. Ironically, the 2nd one was taken with the £80 sigma 70-300mm. The other 2 with the more expensive 300mm Nikon prime F4.
The reason I asked if the second had been cropped more was that IQ is noticeably worse than the first one imo, which of course can happen as you crop/magnify the image more. Also the 3rd one doesn't look the sharpest.

Edit: just seen the 3rd one is the 70-300mm too, doesn't look the best lens tbh. I'd just use the 300mm prime.

Last edited:
Use the 70-300 to improve your technique. Is there a race track near you?

If it's the sigma 70-300 I seem to remember it not being that good. If you have the 55-200 and 300 f4 I would use those, the 300mm f4 should be quite rapid at focusing and accurate too. If you are panning at low shutter speeds I wouldn't expect every image to be perfectly sharp. The angle the plane is approaching matters too, it's easier to pan with it moving across the frame rather than directly towards you.

I would have thought that you should get some shots you are happy with using the 300mm prime. Does it have IS if so are you using it on the panning setting and are you using the continuous shutter speed drive with the correct autofocus mode. I'm a canon user so I'm not sure of the sure of the settings available on your equipment. Panning is an art form that i have only just started to get results that i'm happy with. check the settings you are using but practice is the key.

Back