Taking images at a wedding

Edit My Images
No
I have been asked to take some images at a wedding service at home for a couple of mature friends..... just a small event for 24 people and they do not want an official photographer

For some reason they are happy that I take the images ......... I have taken a few shots for them but I am not in anyway "pro" standard and the best shots I took for them were probably shots of their dog

I have a few bodies, (2 x DX and 2 x FX), and lenses ... if we go to a bigger wedding as guests, I usually use my D700 and 80 200mm f2.8VR and stand well back out of the way..... so mpst of my shots are at the longer end

my normal interests are bird, dragonflies and nature shots.......... 75% of the shots that I take

I am planning to use the 80 200 f2.8VR on the D700 and a 50mm lens on the D750 ....... would this be what you would advise ........ hopefully I can take enough shots to get a few good ones

I have a 16 35 ....... but the rest would be long lens, apart from the kit 18 70 or would it be the 18 55 or maybe both

do I need to use a tripod or monopod for anything?

Thanks for any comments

Last edited:
Well my advice is as someone that was in a very similar situation to you rather than as a pro

I'm not a Nikon user but I'm assuming FX is the full frame body? In which case I'd say the 80-200 will be ok, if it's on a crop you might find that it's a bit too much reach for what you need.

The 50 is the one that will probably get the most use though, and I'd take the 16-35 along as well

I had no need for a tripod when I did it, so I'd say you can leave that at home

Oh and if you are going to be taking shots at the night you need to take a flash solution of some sort or you may well struggle

Last edited:
tripod / monopod will just get in the way - your kit choices seem sensible , if you have a flash i'd take that too though you probably can't use it during the service (you might want to read up on fill flash techniques)

plenty of batteries and cards

get a list of their must have shots before hand so you don't miss anything

don't dtrink anything alcoholic during the day (not normally an issue for pros but a dificult one to manage when you are essentially a guest too)

Start with a list of the shots they want. Their attitude sounds quite like our own (except we're planning 20 less people for the ceremony and 100 more for the party) so my guess is that there will probably be a few shots they definitely want that will be posed (happy couple, group shot of everyone, certain sub-group shots) and probably a selection of candids. If they're not going for a professional photographer the odds are that they're looking for a couple of dozen memory shots rather than a couple of thousand random crowd shots.

don't dtrink anything alcoholic during the day (not normally an issue for pros but a dificult one to manage when you are essentially a guest too)

not sure about that as they are long time friends and as there are only 24 guests the wine will be flowing, plus we are spending the night.
It's 24 guests for both ...... our friends are retired ..... although just over 60 years old

Thanks All and for the flash advice

I have an SB 600mm and I will take my V1 plus the 10 30 and 30 110 plus flash .......... just to have around

Last edited:
not sure about that as they are long time friends and as there are only 24 guest the wine will be flowing, plus we are spending the night.

put it another way, don't get drunk and embarassing until after you've got the shots they want - and don't dispear upstairs with that bridesmaid you've always fancied and miss the first dance ;)

put it another way, don't get drunk and embarassing until after you've got the shots they want - and don't dispear upstairs with that bridesmaid you've always fancied and miss the first dance ;)

Chance would be a fine thing Pete - I'm 69 years old this year!!!

Sudden thought.. tripod and remote shutter trigger are possibly essential if you're one of the 24 guests and they want a group shot of everyone. In addition to the fill flash I'd suggest a light stand and softbox for the posed shots to give a softer fill if it's needed. If there's a short period set aside for the posed shots rope in another guest as a VAL.

You may find in a venue for 25 that your 80-200 is a bit long and most of your shots are at 50.

But whatever you take they;'ll be delighted

Chance would be a fine thing Pete - I'm 69 years old this year!!!

and thats a reason to behave yourself? ;)

Settings

with birds I'm almost "wedded" (excuse the pun), to single cell focus and small group or single point exposure ..... I also take lots of shots at f2.8 and f4 ....... but do venture up to f8, sometimes............. and with Dragonflies ...it's still single cell stuff at f12, f16 and above

presumably I should practice a few of the other exposure modes

I do however like f2.8 shots with the 80 200 f2.8VR ....... it is such a good piece of glass

what do you reckon?

what do you reckon?
First refer to the list of must-have shots from the couple, and then figure out the settings needed..

Settings

with birds I'm almost "wedded" (excuse the pun), to single cell focus and small group or single point exposure ..... I also take lots of shots at f2.8 and f4 ....... but do venture up to f8, sometimes............. and with Dragonflies ...it's still single cell stuff at f12, f16 and above

presumably I should practice a few of the other exposure modes

I do however like f2.8 shots with the 80 200 f2.8VR ....... it is such a good piece of glass

what do you reckon?

what alistair said

however bear in mind that with a group shot which is three or four rows deep you need a fair bit of DOF (i'd suggest f5.6ish) - unless of course you are on the conservatory/portaloo roof (like @Daryl / disrespectfully standing a grave stone (like erm me) ) in which case you are lookimg down at them and only need enough dof to have the faces in the focal plane.

when shooting inside the church without flash you'll probably have to use f2.8 or wider in order to get an acceptably fast shutter - in that case try and make sure the focus is on the brides eyes/face.

I'd say use the 50mm for the groups - and keep the 80-200 for reception candids (and down aisle shots of entrance of the bride)

Voice of experience Pete ;)?

yeah my older self slipped back from a rip in the space time continuum and told me it was very handy age 107

If the venue is exceptional and is going to be a part of the photos you may wish to think about a wide angle lens of some variety. It's good for the first dance too etc if the venue isn't quite small. I've been doing a lot of reading about wedding photography and this info is from what is mentioned by these people, not from me having experience but it does make sense.

If you're looking for some tips then take a look at Ryan Brenizer; he's one of the top sought after wedding photographers. http://ryanbrenizer.com/

On another note I've seen in many videos that people tend to take two bags with them. One with all their kit in it and leave it which they'll leave in the car and one that's going to hold the stuff in it that's being used for the day. That's for being able to choose what's best for them on the day if they've not seen the venue though - your case might be different?

One last thing. Make sure you've back-up memory cards, fully charged batteries for flashes, fully charged camera batteries etc :)

Good luck and I hope we get to see some pictures on here?

I did my 1st wedding this year, the gear was not the issue just stick to the kit you know and you will be fine. The main issue I had was how quick the day ran...depending on the wedding you will almost run the day so make sure you plan your timings, have the correct people to hand arrange the groups as this lost me a great deal of time. Flash was important for the evening but stay away from it unless you know how to use it.

Good advice from Dan above, although I have to say that if the snapper's almost running the wedding, something's gone badly wrong. The bride's the one who should be telling you what the timings are. Your job is just to note the theory and be prepared for the reality when the delays snowball after the slap artist turns up late because her car wouldn't start and the best man can't find the groom.

On another note I've seen in many videos that people tend to take two bags with them. One with all their kit in it and leave it which they'll leave in the car and one that's going to hold the stuff in it that's being used for the day. That's for being able to choose what's best for them on the day if they've not seen the venue though - your case might be different?

To which I will only say that he who leaves kit in the car at a wedding will sooner or later get that kit stolen from it, and will then find out for sure whether or not loss from an unattended vehicle is covered by their insurance.

Your job is just to note the theory and be prepared for the reality when the delays snowball after the slap artist turns up late because her car wouldn't start and the best man can't find the groom.

If the MUA is late because the best man can't find the groom - then you've got bigger problems than a delay ;) :naughty:

I've had a few make up artists run behind. Not sure why, out could be issues with bridesmaids and mothers for all i know but it happens about 25% of the time.

To which I will only say that he who leaves kit in the car at a wedding will sooner or later get that kit stolen from it, and will then find out for sure whether or not loss from an unattended vehicle is covered by their insurance.

mine goes in a locked pelicase which is bolted to the floor of the boot - I've got it in writing from my insurer that it is covered in these circumstances (when i had a partner van it used to be in a locked case bolted under the passenger seat... which tips forward)

Didn't know there was an 80-200vr pretty sure there isn't?

you are right there isnt - the 80-200 was superceded by the 70-200 vr

Back