taking photographs in ikea?

Edit My Images
No
has anyone had any experience taking photographs in ikea? I was going to bring a point & shoot(35mm film) along but I really want to use my bronica(no tripod) - this is a project I want to do for uni. When I visit the store, should I ask permission or just take the /covert/casual shots?

If it was me, I'd contact the store in advance, explain what you need to do, and seek permission.

I'm sure this would be more likely to meet approval than just rocking up on the day and asking.

Or you could try and do it covertly, but are you likely to get the shots you need if you are constantly looking over your shoulder in trying to avoid being thrown out?

Drop Dark Star a PM. He posted a set from IKEA recently and is known to snap away with a 50mm in the local supermarket on occasion.

contact them and tell them you are a student etc etc

has anyone had any experience taking photographs in ikea? I was going to bring a point & shoot(35mm film) along but I really want to use my bronica(no tripod) - this is a project I want to do for uni. When I visit the store, should I ask permission or just take the /covert/casual shots?

Last time I took any photos in Ikea it was just a quick snap of a desk I was interested in, as I walked out of that section I overheard a radio message on a security guard's radio requesting the proceed to the office furniture section to detain the person who was taking pictures :LOL:

IIRC there's a sign on the door banning photography...

tempted to pop over to braehead just to try it out lol

Last time I took any photos in Ikea it was just a quick snap of a desk I was interested in, as I walked out of that section I overheard a radio message on a security guard's radio requesting the proceed to the office furniture section to detain the person who was taking pictures :LOL:

"Detain" implies citizens arrest! I'm pretty sure they can only ask you to leave rather than detain, which implies a crime has been committed.

I can do it covertly(with the 35mm) as I dont really need to worry about focusing - just need to frame the scene.

I'm planning on photographying the sets(ie lounge, kitchen, bedroom, etc).

I can do it covertly(with the 35mm) as I dont really need to worry about focusing - just need to frame the scene.

I think I'll try this in the local Ann Summers :D

I reckon if they notice someone taking pics with a phone, they'll spot an slr....

tempted to pop over to braehead just to try it out lol

Go for it :LOL:

Last edited:
I once took a photo in an Asda on my iPhone (a dispute over a buy one get one free thing), staff member came running shouting it was against the law and she would call the police if I didn't stop.

Was good in the end, got a £60 gift card from their head office over a £5 dispute a week later.

I took a picture of a drawer set in ikea once as I was interested in returning another day to purchase - i was immediately pounced on by a member of staff and told to stop. so - the best thing you can do is contact the store before you go and speak to the management - try and get a letter of authorisation so you don't get hassled whilst doing your project (if they even allow it)

They have every right to stop people taking photographs - as you are effectively on private property. Because of that, they can dictate as to what people do or not do on their property.

But - don't they have to make the conditions of entry available at the point of entry to the store? It's private land, but publicly accessible. If there's a big NO CAMERAS sign then I guess you're scuppered, but if there's no way of you knowing then all they can ask you to do is stop, or leave.

They have every right to stop people taking photographs - as you are effectively on private property. Because of that, they can dictate as to what people do or not do on their property.

Correct, although I had no problems taking pics in their Coventry store a few weeks back.

Any store like this is private property, so if they want to be funny then can be. Security guards just love photographers too.

If you are very discreet then you should be fine.

I have shot loads of stuff in stores & security seems to have got very tight over the past few years, even more so with increased terror threats. I would advise you to contact the store officially, tell them exactly what you would like to do & what for, they would appreciate that, & say you would give them a set of images. In my experience, most organisations are quite helpful once they know the facts. Once you have permission, you can then take the shots you require in a relaxed way without looking over your shoulder & would result in a far better set of shots, rather than unreliable papparazzi style stuff. You may even end up with a client.

Good luck

http://www.4tography.co.uk/

But - don't they have to make the conditions of entry available at the point of entry to the store? It's private land, but publicly accessible. If there's a big NO CAMERAS sign then I guess you're scuppered, but if there's no way of you knowing then all they can ask you to do is stop, or leave.

I often see "no smoking" signs but very few places that ban photos actually have a "no photos" sign so they can hardly have cause to complain if someone takes a photo as long as they do not cause any inconvenience in the process (eg using a tripod which could trip someone up etc)

The problem is ignorant shop staff and security making up rules and laws as they go, and then creating a scene with the photographer as the "criminal".

I often see "no smoking" signs but very few places that ban photos actually have a "no photos" sign so they can hardly have cause to complain if someone takes a photo as long as they do not cause any inconvenience in the process (eg using a tripod which could trip someone up etc)

Actually, they can have every cause for complaint. It is their property so they can ask you to stop/leave any time they wish if they don't want you taking photographs.

They can't expect you to know it is not allowed - but a nice project could easily be cut short by not attempting to seek permission beforehand. Wheras a quick phonecall could easily get better access to the store than just rocking up on the day.

I think if you explain it is for Uni or something you should find them quite amenable to the idea.

If you go blundering in with a huge camera set up, I dare say they would be a bit peeeved!!

If they see something unusual, such as an individual taking multiple shots, they're going to see it as a threat (to either safety, security, or both) and hence, they'll treat it as a threat.

If you seek permission beforehand, I'm sure they'll say yes, as they're big on education, and they wouldn't want to risk any press to the contrary.

Actually, they can have every cause for complaint. It is their property so they can ask you to stop/leave any time they wish if they don't want you taking photographs.

They can't expect you to know it is not allowed - but a nice project could easily be cut short by not attempting to seek permission beforehand. Wheras a quick phonecall could easily get better access to the store than just rocking up on the day.

I find that store or mall security guards can often behave in an aggressive and intimidating manner before they have even explained that they have a "no photography" policy, like approach shouting "oi no photos in 'ere mate!"

as alot of people have said, drop them a call, seek permission.. if its a no, then try somewhere else, if its a go, make the most of it :)

If they see something unusual, such as an individual taking multiple shots, they're going to see it as a threat (to either safety, security, or both) and hence, they'll treat it as a threat.

I think they'd be more concerned with where the images are going tbh. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't need photos to plan a break-in at Ikea, or to bomb the place.

But the store's there for shopping. It's not a communal area for the public to do as they wish. And if they see a photographer, all kitted out, taking photos of their products - all of which carefully marketed - they're going to wonder why. Are they going to be used to damage their reputation, or to the benefits of a competing store?

There's a lot of potential reasons, and the security guard's job isn't to ask, or at least not to make decisions based on your answers. It's not his authority. It's his authority to stop you.

So if you have that permission from the higher powers in the first place, it's got to make life easier. And if they say no, they don't know who you are when you walk into the store, just go stealth ;)

Just ring them up beforehand, they might even let you in just before it opens/just after it closes, as all the staff will still be there anyway, but you won't be in the way of people wanting to buy stuff.

Just ring them up beforehand, they might even let you in just before it opens/just after it closes, as all the staff will still be there anyway, but you won't be in the way of people wanting to buy stuff.

I agree. A lot of stores are even more sensitive to competitors snooping on their merchandising methods than the "security" issues, so be prepared to provide some proof of your bona fides too. Be prepared to be guided by the manager if they agree, and don't try to photograph anything he/she says is off limits. Sending them a set of prints might be a nice touch too.

I agree. A lot of stores are even more sensitive to competitors snooping on their merchandising methods than the "security" issues, so be prepared to provide some proof of your bona fides too. Be prepared to be guided by the manager if they agree, and don't try to photograph anything he/she says is off limits. Sending them a set of prints might be a nice touch too.

I'd have thought that a competitor will go in discreetly with a very small camera - there is no way they would go in blatantly with a DSLR. The same applies to terrorists, there is no way they would draw attention by using anything but the smallest cam!

I'd have thought that a competitor will go in discreetly with a very small camera - there is no way they would go in blatantly with a DSLR. The same applies to terrorists, there is no way they would draw attention by using anything but the smallest cam!

Absolutely. They don't even need to use a camera - you can memorise this sort of thing quite easily - but the same argument applies to the police questioning people using big black DSLRs in London under the terrorism laws - and ignoring the tourists with little cameras/mobiles. There's no logic in it all, unless you think people are trying to pull a double bluff and appear to be acting quite innocently by being conspicuous. Must admit, I'd probably be more suspicious if I did spot someone taking photographs covertly.

Back