taking photos in rain with none weather sealed camera!!!

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry but ive mashed my head looking for first camera so PLEASE bare with me..
I've searched reviews and specs of cameras and had settled on the canon 77d and all was well until its not weather sealed came into the equation. can you really use a none weather sealed camera outside in the british weather or do i have to reconsider a bigger heavier camera that then goes away from wanting something light ish weight. yes i want everything but i'm married so I know that is not possible arrghhhhhhh.

plenty of weatherproof covers for all combinations of cameras and lenses available . plus decent camera bags usually have rain cover either built in or as accessory .. failing none of them available a quick get out is a good old Tesco/sainsburys/waitrose or harrods carrier bag (depending on your poshness levels)

Do not get too wound up on the specifications!

Very few of the millions of cameras sold have explicit weather sealing in place and as such the forums or social media are not full of bad experience stories of users in the UK or anywhere else crying about their ruined cameras.

Having said ~ you have to be sensible..................for cameras like the Canon 77D, if you are going to use it in anything more than humid or light drizzle conditions then you will need a raincoat for it (even as simple as a plastic bag held in place will elastic bands). NB make sure to carry suitable cloths to wipe the kit down at intervals and before putting it back in the camera bag ;)

However, if your intention is to shoot in "rainy or waters edge seaspray conditions" then you will need either a camera that has seals in place or more serious rain jacket precautions.

It is all about the what, the where and the precautions................................without those considerations water ingress, especially salt water, may create a problem that cannot be repaired!

Last edited:
But seriously - the Optech ones are ok on a budget.

Do not get too wound up on the specifications!

Very few of the millions of cameras sold have explicit weather sealing in place and as such the forums or social media are not full of bad experience stories of users in the UK or anywhere else crying about their ruined cameras.

Having said ~ you have to be sensible..................for cameras like the Canon 77D, if you are going to use it in anything more than humid or light drizzle conditions then you will need a raincoat for it (even as simple as a plastic bag held in place will elastic bands). NB make sure to carry suitable cloths to wipe the kit down at intervals and before putting it back in the camera bag ;)

However, if your intention is to shoot in "rainy or waters edge seaspray conditions" then you will need either a camera that has seals in place or more serious rain jacket precautions.

It is all about the what, the where and the precautions................................without those considerations water ingress, especially salt water, may create a problem that cannot be repaired!

Ive looked on a wex and seen this but still not sure..
https://www.wexphotovideo.com/peak-...EFE_LKSaf7R9uZLYYmW2CCu_sxA5jNMRoCdgoQAvD_BwE

I'm happy to spend on something that will last and is reusable rather the keep spending in disposable plastics.

Reactions: Nod
I've used, the Optech one's, for years and not had to replace them.

Reactions: Nod
I'm happy to spend on something that will last and is reusable rather the keep spending in disposable plastics.
again tends to hinge on your choice/ use of lens i.e landscape lads will have different to wildlife lads

Don't sweat it, I've used cameras, both film & digital for nearly 40 years and I've never had water damage.

I also tend to take a lot of seacapes and waterfall shots.

Camera companies have to cover themselves, you'd be surprised what most bodies can put up with.

Indeed although I have a pair of the Optech ones in my bag, they've been there untouched for almost 10 years... Hope the plastic hasn't degraded :pompous:

I’ve used a number of things to cover the camera at times when in a pinch. The camera bags rain cover does work in an emergency but it’s not really a solution if you intend to go out in the rain. I quite like going out in the pouring rain as it adds something to wildlife photography.

I do like the optechs rain sleeves but they are supposed to be disposable so they don’t last a huge time if you re use them.

I’ve been looking for a replacement for a while as I was using between 2 and 4 rain sleeves a year. Whilst they are £7 for two that often £14 a year of using 4 a year but it was the waste of plastic that worried me. Seems pointless using disposable plastic sleeves that don’t last.

The are many options out there. Think Tanks rain sleeved were great but pretty expensive at £100+. Early this year I heard they now did an ‘emergency raincover’. It’s a lighter version of their main rain covers but around 1/4 of the price. They do a small and medium. For me they work out about the price of 2 years optechs sleeves and will last quite a while. It also mean I’m not constantly wasting plastic too.

https://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/rain...MIy8jKzYeG5gIVF-DtCh2R4wC2EAQYAyABEgIPafD_BwE

In certain situations I will still use the optech rain sleeves but that mainly when on the beach and I can fully seal the cover with electrical tape. The think tank cover meets most of my needs.

I’ve used a number of things to cover the camera at times when in a pinch. The camera bags rain cover does work in an emergency but it’s not really a solution if you intend to go out in the rain. I quite like going out in the pouring rain as it adds something to wildlife photography.

I do like the optechs rain sleeves but they are supposed to be disposable so they don’t last a huge time if you re use them.

I’ve been looking for a replacement for a while as I was using between 2 and 4 rain sleeves a year. Whilst they are £7 for two that often £14 a year of using 4 a year but it was the waste of plastic that worried me. Seems pointless using disposable plastic sleeves that don’t last.

The are many options out there. Think Tanks rain sleeved were great but pretty expensive at £100+. Early this year I heard they now did an ‘emergency raincover’. It’s a lighter version of their main rain covers but around 1/4 of the price. They do a small and medium. For me they work out about the price of 2 years optechs sleeves and will last quite a while. It also mean I’m not constantly wasting plastic too.

https://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/rain...MIy8jKzYeG5gIVF-DtCh2R4wC2EAQYAyABEgIPafD_BwE

In certain situations I will still use the optech rain sleeves but that mainly when on the beach and I can fully seal the cover with electrical tape. The think tank cover meets most of my needs.

Thats the type of thing i was looking for is your camera weather sealed??

Thats the type of thing i was looking for is your camera weather sealed??
It’s a Sony A7r3 so it’s not exactly great weather sealing. Even if it was I would still use a rain cover because as good as the manufacturers say their weather sealing is if I’m out for a while in heavy rain for a prolonged period I’m still going to use some kind of rain cover just for my own piece of mind. Same goes for Sandy environments like beaches.

The only issue I would say there is with these rain covers is if it’s cold out and you take a warm hand out of a glove then inside the rain cover to control the camera it often causes condensation on the inside of the cover. the camera/lens can then get a little wet

Hence my reason to be confused. ask me a car question...
well first off what do you intend to shoot I.e landscapes, family ,scenes or sports and/ or wildlife .. each type of shooting will need different types of lenses .. so before you get to confused with answers think it over it could save you buying entirely the wrong type of gear ...

Next you seem obsessed with this weather question .. putting it in perspective unless you intend to go out in the rain on purpose why worry not many of us use our cameras in the rain due to it usually being crap light to .

And if caught out in the rain stick it back in the bag or carrier bag or even tuck it in your coat

There’s also the option if you really worry about the weather but don’t know what your doing get something along the lines of a Olympus tough you can take that swimming with you .

Last edited:
Back