Beginner Taking photos outside of the 'golden hours' - advice please

Name
Justin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

I've always seen myself as more of a Holiday snapper than a serious amateur photographer - but its something I really enjoy so I have gradually bought better equipment and taken more time with post processing (using Lightroom CC but just don't know where to start with Photoshop.)

I've bought various lenses and have began to realise that they don't really make that much difference when you aren't out and about until 10 a.m !

So all thats happened is that I am more critical of my images - I seem to delete more than I keep and much of that is down to having over exposed skies and large areas of shade - or dull images because its overcast. (along with poor composition)

Are there any golden nuggets of advice that you can give in order that I can improve my images ?

I guess this has come about due to the fact that I've been to Oxford for a few days and am really disappointed with the images I've taken.

thanks

Hi - If you're like me, and it sounds like you are, then you're your own worst critic. Maybe post some of the images from your trip to Oxford and people will be able to better give you advice on where you're going wrong/what to improve (providing you haven't deleted them all! :))

With regards to the over exposed skies/areas of shade - these might be salvageable in Lightroom, if you're shooting in RAW - if you're not I'd recommend that you do.

Without knowing what it is you are/aren't doing, it's difficult to give any truly meaningful advice.

At this time of year (Autumn-Winter) the sun is lower in the sky, so the benefits of the early morning and evening are less pronounced.

You really need to look at the images you're taking and reflect on what you want to achieve from them. If the sky is blowing out because of the dynamic range of the scene, think about whether you need to include the sky in the shot in the first place. For example, a lot of people compulsively shoot wide to capture everything. They always photograph a church (for example) making sure that the whole building can be seen and there's a nice gap all the way around - if this sounds like you, ask yourself why? Wide shots are always more vulnerable to dynamic range issues. And they're a lot harder to compose successfully.

But if you want specific advice, you need to post a *few* images or a *small* selection in a Flickr album (no more than 6 images in a thread or 12 in an album) that you think are almost but not quite right.

yes be interesting to see your examples of 'disappointment'..

I usually find when not ideal light but I want to capture memories then I am not after perfection and can recover quite a bit PP, or a B&W conversion usually helps.. aside from that I just approach in a different way, take more close ups or try a filter.

Think you have to realise that it is the light that is important in an image, taken at dawn,dusk or mid-day the light is all important. If you are out at mid-day try not to include the sky in your images if the sky is bright or if you have a sky that for example blue with those white fluffy clouds and you want it in your image then expose for the sky take your image then expose for the foreground and take your image and merge the two or make life easier with a polorising filter as long as the sun is at a around a 45 deg angle then you should get a good image. If taking two images for the same scene (sky/foeground) use a tripod makes life a lot easier in front of the computer.

thanks for taking the time to reply - some sound advice there.

Alastair - I really like the advice about shooting wide and I am guilty of that...

Here are a few images that are a good example of the shots I took -

And then a black and white version of the same

21905295168_088c6ef5ea_c.jpg

An alternative approach to this type of scene is to level the camera fore-and-aft rather than tilting back and upwards. It sacrifices some sky for extra road - it might seem boring, but it's a good lead to the bridge and it's a lot closer in tone than the sky. It also helps with the verticals for the buildings on the right. It reduces the prominence of the sky and the position of the bridge in the composition may become stronger.

Hello

I've always seen myself as more of a Holiday snapper than a serious amateur photographer - but its something I really enjoy so I have gradually bought better equipment and taken more time with post processing (using Lightroom CC but just don't know where to start with Photoshop.) I've bought various lenses and have began to realise that they don't really make that much difference when you aren't out and about until 10 a.m !

Ok.. first thing to realise is that Lightroom, Photoshop and expensive cameras and lenses will not make you a better photographer. Good processing of images can be important, especially good raw file management, but good photography does not come from sitting at a computer, it comes from being a good photographer. The prime purpose of a photographer is to communicate something to the viewer.

So all thats happened is that I am more critical of my images - I seem to delete more than I keep and much of that is down to having over exposed skies and large areas of shade - or dull images because its overcast. (along with poor composition)

Are there any golden nuggets of advice that you can give in order that I can improve my images ?

I guess this has come about due to the fact that I've been to Oxford for a few days and am really disappointed with the images I've taken.

thanks

The problem is the reason you're taking images. What were you trying to say about Oxford? If you had no idea what you were trying to say, your images will be saying nothing, and to be frank, I agree with you - they are disappointing. It's not for any technical reason though, it's simply because they're shots taken walking aimlessly around Oxford. The subject is just as crucial as the technical aspects. You can take the most technically perfect images but if the subject is boring then then images are boring. Even boring subjects can be interesting if you are doing it for all the right reasons. The Bechers' industrial typologies are depressing, boring subjects, but as a set, as an idea, they becomes interesting.

Your thread title seems to suggest that you need the golden hour to make good photographs, and this is a myth borne out of the fact that most people's photographs are about nothing, so the ONLY thing that makes them interesting is the lighting, or the "wow factor", but once that wears off... the images are not really very interesting - they're only interesting to other photographers who are also obsessed with eye candy.

Why the golden hour? There's more than one kind of light you know... overcast days can be a great to shoot in as the golden hour. There's fog, rain, snow, wind, night time... all manner of conditions that can yield great images. If all you do is go out during the golden hour, then all your images will just look the same. Seriously.. go on Flickr and search landscape... do you not think they all look the same? Anyone would thing that England is perpetually lit by evening light, and it's always a blue sky with white fluffy clouds. Break out of the mould you're getting yourself into, and discover new things.

Above all though... think of a subject. Develop work around things you are interested in, and passionate about instead of just going out with a camera. You may get the odd good image, but it will be disconnected, alone.. just a "nice" image. Set projects... and I don't mean a silly 52 or 365, or you'll just end up shooting another collection of random crap. Set goals... it could be anything: Taking portraits of dog walkers at the local beach, or truck drivers at service stations... people's homes at night... local fish & chip shops.... even if you DO just want to take pretty "scenes" you can still attach it to a project - it could be images taken in all directions from the highest point in every town you come across... you can still even do it in the golden hour if you want, but at least they'll be purpose and meaning and also something to talk about.

If I ask you why you took these shots of Oxford, could you tell me why?

Last edited:
Above all though... think of a subject. Develop work around things you are interested in, and passionate about instead of just going out with a camera. You may get the odd good image, but it will be disconnected, alone.. just a "nice" image. Set projects... and I don't mean a silly 52 or 365, or you'll just end up shooting another collection of random crap.

Finding a subject - or number of subjects - is key. Most of what I shoot fits into one of a number of notional projects I have running.

However my experience of joining a 365 photo-a-day group on facebook was invaluable. It was a major factor in getting me to improve my skills. I was lucky in that the group I alighted on was more concerned with creativity than technique. Yes, it'll produce a collection of random cr*p but it should force you to look hard at your own work and there's something about taking a photo every day to someone else's theme that seems to force a drop of creativity out. Just don't do a 365 project in isolation.

I'd also suggest reading the odd book on composition, preferably ones aimed at painters rather than photographers, e.g. Pictorial Composition by Henry Rankin Poore. Michael Freeman's photography composition book is pretty good, though.

Forgive me if its been said but my advise would be to slow down. If you force yourself to slow down and study your shots as you take them you will end up with more keepers. Check for blown highlight with your highlight alert and work your subject. Take shots from different prospectives while reviewing them as you go. By slowing down you will see more and be able to make informed decisions on how to adjust for the shot. Hope that helps.

Back