Taking photos @ The Eden Project?

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I'm going to the Eden project in the next couple of weeks, but I'm a little worried about the humidity in the buildings.

Does anybody have any experience/words of wisdom about this? Are there any kind of procedures I should follow? Also are there any adverse affects to exposing the camera to this level of humidity?

I have a Canon 30d with only a standard 18-55 IS kit lens.

Also does anybody have any settings (exposure/white balance/saturation) combinations that are particularly good for plant life?

Thanks,

Tom.

Last edited:
Should not adversely effect the Camera Tom but the 'Jungle' house will cause lens misting which took around ten minutes to clear when I went. It is just this one Dome that will cause a problem. I met one guy who was holding his camera under the hot air dryer in the toilet before he went in which more or less cured the problem and he was able to shoot right away (I have never tried this myself though).

I tried swopping a lens inside a butterfly house on a 50D, it didnt like it a lot, camera refused to play properly for a couple of hours afterwards, so dont take the lens off would be my advice.
Shoot in RAW then you have the ability to tweak as you see fit afterwards. I find my 50D catches the colour/exposure etc accurately enough in either aperture or shutter priority with auto white balance, 30D should be fine also.

Matt

Thanks for the advice guys.

So are we saying 'pre-heat' the camera a little before use?

I've taken my Canon to very humid countries & not had any problems, but as other posters have mentioned (and anyone with spectacles knows) the main issue is the difference in temperature between the camera lens & the air in the Eden project. It shouldn't ~cough~ be a problem inside the camera assuming the seals are good!

Not sure of the wisdom of rapidly heating the camera under hot air - I'd be tempted to have your camera next to your body to warm it up gradually instead.

I also have tons of those little silica gel bags - any time I get some it goes in my camera bag.

I also have tons of those little silica gel bags - any time I get some it goes in my camera bag.

You do realise that they get saturated fairly quickly? So most of them are probably doing nothing apart from acting as ballast.

I took my 1DmkII and my son his Canon 10D there last month. We went from the Med biome (fine) to the tropical one and had no problems. We kept the cameras in our bags for the first 5 minutes we were in the tropical biome, and I don't know if that gave them time to aclimatise. We didn't change lenses though. And after all that, the only pictures I kept were from the outside anyway.

I visited the Eden Project a couple of years ago and there was no problem. Just took the lens cap off and let it acclimatise, only took a few minutes. Have never used silica gel sachets or preheated the camera in any way and have visited a number of butterfly farms with no ill effect.

Went to Eden in June this year. The Tropics Biom is very hot an humid as you would expect. But it didn't take long for my lens to demist. Just wait in the entrance area for a few minutes and things should return to normal. I actual used a soft tissue to to help things along by wiping the condensation off the lens ( filter actually).

Back