Taking the DSLR to glastonbury...

• Thread starter Deleted member 21335
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21335

Has anyone done it? I had my reservations as never been before but I have finally made the decision to take it with me. It will either be kept with me or kept in the secure lockups which are apparently VERY good. It is covered on my home insurance too but my real question is......Which lens to take?

I have a choice between the 24-70 F2.8 or the 85mm F1.4G. I really want to take them both but thinking it will be much more convenient to just take the one.

Also, if anyone has done it before, any advices?

Many thanks.

Rather you than me tbh fella :LOL:

I suppose one thing to consider is how inhebriated you intend to get? If you're planning to really let your hair down maybe it's not the best idea. If you're planning to stay fairly "with it" then I guess it wouldn't be so bad.

Im off to see the Kings of Leon at Hyde park on Wednesday , ive got the same dilemma . I really want to take my DSLR but i dont want it damged. I wont be drinking but i know what people are like when your all close together getting carried away. On the same hand my compact wont capture what i want it to capture and im going to cursing those missed shots

I won't be getting that wasted. I don't drink much. I am not taking it to capture the artists, that will be nigh on impossible I reckon as a mere spectator. It's more the other goings on and the people shots I am after.

It's a toughie... why have a decent camera if you daren't take it to the places you'd get the best pics? Sometimes you've just got to go for it.

On the other hand, I find you can easily miss out on experiencing an event by viewing it through a lens.

Go for it.you might not get close to the artists on the main stages however there are many smaller venues dotted around the glastonbury site where you should definately get plenty of photo opportunities as well as loads of candid images off revelers enjoying themselves throughout the site.the 2 lens you mention are both good options though i would also suggest a longer zoom 70-200 f2.8 too and also a 28mm or 35mm prime for those dedicated wider angle shots unless of course your 24-70 performs well at the wider end and thats if you can manage the extra weight.me !! im a gluton for punishment i also carry an extra camera too so i can have 2 lenses of different range on the go and a SB800 flash and tripod too as well as loads of spare batteries....just to make sure my back feels the pain.

lock-ups great idea,especially as you probably wont want the kit with you 24/7 ,even though there are great opprtunities 24/7 to get images.leaving anything of value in your tent is a no brainer,dont be tempted.

ive done glastonbury several times now and im dead jealous,i should have booked for this year as there is no glastonbury 2012.to late now :(

have a great festie

peter

Im off to see the Kings of Leon at Hyde park on Wednesday , ive got the same dilemma . I really want to take my DSLR but i dont want it damged. I wont be drinking but i know what people are like when your all close together getting carried away. On the same hand my compact wont capture what i want it to capture and im going to cursing those missed shots

I saw them in Sunderland on friday gone, was considering taking mine but made the wise choice not to. I was right at the front and would have got some great shots, but the danger of not been allowed in with it played on my mind. However with all the chaos of crowd surging, a few fights and loads of beer and other stuff being thrown around I would advise not to, unless you can stay out the firing line.

Be careful on the small print on the back of the ticket. Festivals might be a bit different but I know people who have been refused entry to gigs and sports events with a 'proper' camera.

There's generally no reasoning with the bouncer on the door however unreasonable they're being!

Bringing a camera into Glasto won't be a problem (I work for Festival Information). I've been on site all day today and it's already pretty muddy, so think about this. I'd be inclined to keep kit to a minimum and bring something that will protect your camera from mud, rain and badly directed beer. The 24-70 sounds good. That will give you a decent range without being too heavy to drag around for four days. Glastonbury is a lousy place to try to photograph bands unless you have very long stuff and a pass that gets you into a decent position. As pmiddleditch and others have said, look for what's happening off the stages - there is far more than you will be able to shoot.

Using the lock-ups is a no brainer. They're free and open 24 hours every day. And don't forget to have fun!

Thanks for the inside info! Yeah I never had any intention of photographing bands. More the other stuff that's going on as you say. Lots of opportunities for people/crowd shots etc.
Already pretty muddy!? Yikes.

I saw them in Sunderland on friday gone, was considering taking mine but made the wise choice not to. I was right at the front and would have got some great shots, but the danger of not been allowed in with it played on my mind. However with all the chaos of crowd surging, a few fights and loads of beer and other stuff being thrown around I would advise not to, unless you can stay out the firing line.

Where they any good ?

It might be an idea to go onto the website and if there's any info about cameras then print it off. Just in case a security guard doesn't know the full rules on cameras.

Here is something to think about. Are you going to photograph the event, or experience it? I am not saying you can't do both, but that you don't need to photograph it to enjoy it.

I am going to enjoy myself with my mates. And party of me enjoying myself involves taking photos. If I don't take it, I know I will be gutted when I am there and see folk wandering round taking pics. If I want a night without it, it will go in secure lockup.

Think I will just take the 24-70, hope I don't miss the 85mm too much.

Looks like there's going to be an awful lot of mud again!

Times like this I'd take the canon G10, sure it will be a compromise but far less hassle.

Here's a previous thread.

I went last year and too be honest I only noticed a few people with DSLR's and I think they were all pro's who were probably taking photos to earn money.

I ended up taking an old powershot so I have some shots but obviously nothing near what I would of got had I took my 7D. Personally for me it was the right choice not to take the 7D, I know I wouldn't of enjoyed the festival as much worrying about the camera half the time.

The G10 is a good call.

I usually take my old 35mm to festivals. The Nikon EM is nearly indestructible....it survived the biblical deluge at Bestival 2008, unlike most people's mobiles!

Have you thought about an underwater housing? Judging by the weather forecast you might need one :)

So glad I took the camera. Secure storage was excellent and right near the tent so I put it in there when I didn't want it. Got a few nice shots too. Would definitely take it again. Don't see the point owning expensive camera gear and not taking it to places where you can get great shots. (like the folk who don't take it on holiday, bonkers)

Thanks for the advices.

Back