Beginner Taking up photography - take 2

Edit My Images
No
Around four years back I bought a camera and had a go at photography but work became very busy, and kids weekend activities got in the way, and it fell by wayside

Having just finished a major project at work, and with kids older, I'm going to try again.

My cameras are my old pixel 5 smartphone (which I am upgrading to a Pixel 8 pro in a month or two) and my 'proper' one is a four year old Olympus micro 4 thirds mirrorless camera.

I'm planning to do some challenges as a way of helping me get started. Flickr have a few weekly ones (Crazy Tuesday and Flickr Friday).

Any other tips for getting (re) started?

Greetings Mushy, and welcome. Best thing to get you started is to pick up your camera and go for a walk. Photograph anything that takes your fancy and see what clicks.

Maybe try a project ... a while ago I did a '100 strangers' project where I approached people in the street and asked to take their photo.
Could be photograph 100 workmen/women; colour yellow/blue/whatever; shopfronts in my town; 'street' photography walkabouts etc, etc.

Not that it's terribly important, but which Olympus camera do you have and which lens(es)? It might dictate the sort of photography you can do (the lenses I mean)
We have challenges on TP too, the monthly DPOTY and the weekly 52, so feel free to join in with them. You can create your own challengers too though, as has been suggested - someone once did a 365 - take a photograph every day for a year, any subject, or you can stick to a particulate thing - I had in mind to photograph a certain tree in a local wood every day for a year but I'm afraid things got in the way!

Not that it's terribly important, but which Olympus camera do you have and which lens(es)? It might dictate the sort of photography you can do (the lenses I mean)
We have challenges on TP too, the monthly DPOTY and the weekly 52, so feel free to join in with them. You can create your own challengers too though, as has been suggested - someone once did a 365 - take a photograph every day for a year, any subject, or you can stick to a particulate thing - I had in mind to photograph a certain tree in a local wood every day for a year but I'm afraid things got in the way!
Olympus em10 mark iii with the stock lens

I have found my kids sports clubs have been good options for photography, with the relevant permission of course, as it helps the coaches/leaders promote their clubs.

View: https://flic.kr/p/2oTerJN

The challenges on this forum are good, but I am also going to check out those Flickr challenges.

As above, just going out for a walk with the camera is a good start - my sons often get dragged along too. But at this time of year you can hunt for mushrooms etc.

View: https://flic.kr/p/2p67Egc

There have been a few "24s" done too. Now that really is bonkers... (1 shot per hour over the course of 1 day),

How do you embed photos from flickr on here?
You don't have to use Flickr. You can upload them directly with the handy little landscape button at the top of your message. Just get the size right.

You don't have to use Flickr. You can upload them directly with the handy little landscape button at the top of your message. Just get the size right.
Thanks. Will remember that

But if I want to embed them from Flickr, how do I please?

How do you embed photos from flickr on here?
You can either use the embed “BB code” option - select the 1024px option.

Or just copy the URL and it magically works (that’s what I did above, as am on my phone).

If your embedding I think the pics need to be under 1024 on the long side and under 500kb? The mods will correct me if I'm wrong

Back