Talk about tents

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
Im currently looking at buying a little 1 man or 2 man tent but know little about them. I have only been reading up on them since yesterday. So far im looking at the Vango Zenith 200 tent and the Oex Puma 2 tent( a bit heavy i think) which arejust over or under £100. Need something to use in Spring/Summer and Autumn for 1 or 2 nights at a time. Requires to be quite light weight, good water resistance and easy/quick to pitch. So any suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
Can help from direct experience - my lightweight tent is a very old Robert Saunders Spacepacker which is unfortunately no longer available.

Have a look at the Vango Banshee 200. My daughter has one and reckons it is good.

Dave

Last edited:
I just camp in the back of my car. Mattress and beddings in and it is comfortable and much safer than a tent. You don't have to worry about bears or snow lions eating you at night.

I just camp in the back of my car. Mattress and beddings in and it is comfortable and much safer than a tent. You don't have to worry about bears or snow lions eating you at night.

In North Lanarkshire?

Vango, Force Ten. Weighs a ton, cost a furtune. Would happily sleep in one through a gale, oh, I have done!

There's been reports of a Worcestershire Werewolf; it would've been out tonight.

Just foxes and feral haggis up there.

The haggis must slip pass the border wall.

I bought a Vango Banshee 300 for a motorcycle trip to France. I found it excellent. We had quite windy and wet weather one night and it stood up well.

Easy to pitch although I found that if you leave the inner tent fitted after the first time you pitch it then it was even easier.

It’s a 3 man tent but it is a nice roomy one man without being too heavy which allows you to spread your kit out a bit.

There's been reports of a Worcestershire Werewolf; it would've been out tonight.
The wolfbane is in bloom at the moment, so a dead cert there! In fact, I'm not going to listen to The Archers this week just in case the sound of a local accent attracts it!

Last edited:
Vango make good tents. I have a Vango Halo 200 which I like a lot. It's too big/heavy to carry in a rucksack but for motor camping it's perfect.

As for tents, I've bought a couple of Vango tents and can't really fault them. However, if you're after something for spring and autumn use then I'd suggest getting something with at least a 5,000mm hydrostatic head (waterproofing rating). Nothing worse than waking up half way through a rainy night and finding yourself in a leaking tent, particularly if you've got camera kit with you!

As a starting point, perhaps have a look at the 'Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme' recommended tents that Vango do, draw up a short-list based on your requirements, then look at some internet reviews on the one/s you've chosen? https://www.vango.co.uk/gb/33-duke-of-edinburgh-recommended Hope this is useful. (y)

Last edited:
Vango, Force Ten. Weighs a ton, cost a furtune. Would happily sleep in one through a gale, oh, I have done!

Agree, Paul.

Many years ago Mrs Tringa and I camped in a Force 10 (we still have it) at Edinbane on Syke. One day a gale and well over 12 hours or rain arrived. There was so much water under the tent we could make a wave in the groundsheet by hitting it by the door. but not a drop got in. Other tents did not fare so well.

Dave

I've been happy with my Vango Storm 300. Had it some time now. It's not a light weight back packing tent. Mine travels by car. Plenty of space for one. Last used a week ago on a sloping hillside at Tolpuddle in Dorset. No idea if its still a current product, but have been well pleased with it.

Before that had a Phasor Dome light weight tent. Used it for cycle camping. Very quick to put up and take down. Eventually it fell apart. As was long ago I very much doubt they are still made.

We used to have Khyam and top range Outwell tents which were superb but I started camping less whereas the wife and kids still love it so a couple of years ago we got a Vango Airbeam so its easier for them to set up and I have been mightily impressed with the quality of it.

It's one of those things that has fallen foul of online shopping IMHO, there used to be some great shops around that had the tents pitched and you could have a good old look at them but most of them have gone.

That said I own *cough* four Vangos of various sizes but have owned a number of other makes over the past 3 decades. At your price point I'd say a Vango of some sort is probably as good as you'll get, I have a few of them because they work. No tent is completely waterproof in horizontal rain and high winds and no tent lasts for ever. I go for fewer bells-and-whistles, the more poles and seams, the more leaks in my experience. My smallest is a Vango Spectre 200 and it has been out in some pretty rubbish weather and survived fine.

Have you seen the Bootjack, by Amdro? A very clever system for your type of vehicle by an innovative Welsh company

Im looking fir a tent when i can get away from the van and head off into the hills so the Amdro stuff is no use but thanks as i hadnt saw it before. Cheers

I have used a B&B nice size bed , even has a shower and they come with a breakfast ,toast and gallons of tea ,

Good value as well ;)

I have used a B&B nice size bed , even has a shower and they come with a breakfast ,toast and gallons of tea ,

Good value as well ;)

A B&B may well be a few miles walk from the locations i want to be at for sunset or sunrise..either that or i would have..lol

Do the early start for the sunrise , when its all over back to the BB for a slap up full English , Win Win :D

Im looking fir a tent when i can get away from the van and head off into the hills so the Amdro stuff is no use but thanks as i hadnt saw it before. Cheers

Yeah, I realise it's not what you're currently looking for, but a very nifty option for other trips maybe?

I have a 5 man tent from Decathlon. I can't compare it to others, but Decathlon are know for relatively good quality at a lower price, so if you don't get the one above might be worth a look (and you can see them in store already assembled to get a better idea of size etc)

Do the early start for the sunrise , when its all over back to the BB for a slap up full English , Win Win :D

I've done that for a while, and I'm happy to report that I prefer to wake up in the car right in front of the sunrise spot. Breakfast can be bought at the location of my choice later on when I'm done and I've got a camping stow for a cuppa.
It is just a bit too hectic to be out of bed at 4AM, drive 30 miles, and then rush back for breakfast and to pack up. That't the only way to do in winter when it's too cold to sleep in the car, but in summer I'll happily skip that and the high season prices.

I have a 5 man tent from Decathlon. I can't compare it to others, but Decathlon are know for relatively good quality at a lower price, so if you don't get the one above might be worth a look (and you can see them in store already assembled to get a better idea of size etc)

Decathlon have the Quechua brand which are excellent value for money; and from a personal view Decathlon are a much better shopping experience than Go Outdoors (a store I cannot stand).

Depends what you want to do in the tent. If it's just sleep then a hooped bivi tent is under a kilo.

Back