sirch

Lu-Tze
Admin
Name
The other Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Over in another thread @Alastair asked

What would be required for a discussion about art and photography on TP that wouldn't get a "I think it's all s***e" comment before the end of the first page?

Would it need a separate area of the forum that specific members are barred from, or a separate area you needed to apply to see?

And why is it such a hot topic for some folk that openly don't get it and find "I don't get it, it's s***e" to be the limit of their ability to engage in the discussion? - not just this thread, it happens every ****ing time.

Anyway I am interested in how we have reasonable grown-up debates on art related subjects with out all the trolls and people who have a low opinion of anything that isn't figurative painting. One idea might be to accept that such a section would be heavily moderated and make this clear at the top of the thread. Anything that does not add to the debate in a reasonable way (may be as indicated by a consensus of the thread) just gets deleted, along with anything referring to the deleted posts.

Would this work? Has anyone got any other idea?

It's not too bad at the moment to be honest because we don't have many art based discussions. I don't mind the 'it's s***e' comments provided they expand on it and are willing to read/have explained why it's thought of the way it is.

It's a common theme that photographers have been conditioned by magazines etc to produce pretty pictures, it's expected, so when something different comes along it's not understood.

Not sure how it would work tbh. It runs the risk of alienating folk or some being seen as elitist etc ... (the usual de-crying of the educated I think ... not that I am in matters relating to art).

If it was heavily moderated, then by who? The mods are already struggling from what I can see (no offence intended to them, I've done this and it isn't easy). If it was by invite only, how would that work? Who would decide they were fit for an arty discussion?

Giving the quite deplorable behaviour by some in the thread Chris refers to (on both sides of the fence btw) I'm not sure how any civil discussion could be had. Deliberate provocation, and it clearly was, is at best childish. The subsequent response was both childish and petulant, the actions of a bully imho, and deeply disappointing too.

I would love to have a discussion about art, I am woefully un-informed about it, sadly I doubt this forum will be the vehicle for it.

Sorry Chris, don't mean to derail or drag it down.

Although I suggested it on the other thread, it was half tongue in cheek as I've already said in the past that I think there are far, far too many sections in the forum and the more sub-divisions that are created the more cliquey they tend to become and the poorer the forum is for it. I forget who it was said that there were only three genres in photography - people, places and things.

However, there are certain topics/subjects that are either orphans within the current set-up or seem to automatically attract what Oddball would call "negative waves" when discussed in the relevant section.
  • the art and/or philosophy of photography
  • discussion of some subjects/techniques falling under the forum banner "creative photography"
  • what might be called artistic processing, i.e. looks-like-film and other techniques frequently derided as shallow/temporary trends/fashions whenever they are asked about
  • phone photography and social media photography
  • the use of adapted lenses
But I'm not sure ghettoising the forum any further would be a positive step. I'd much rather tear down some of the existing walls, perhaps make better use of prefixes/tags to identify certain types of discussion without entirely removing them from normal forum conversation.

A better interim solution might be an "Caution - Art" prefix available in Talk Photography, to be understood as a flag to indicate that thinking before commenting is expected and moderated accordingly (i.e. with friendly behind the scenes nudges). It would also make such discussions easier to find/follow (or it would if we had decent system for searching/reading by tag/prefix).

:thinking:

It does seem that such threads always end up as a mix of abuse, trolling and trying to educate those who can't be bothered to do a bit of reading around the subject and any reasonable debate on the subject matter itself tends to be drowned out.

But may be @PaulButler is correct and this isn't the forum for it. I'm beginning to wonder if open on-line forums as a whole are not the forum for it...

After my ignorant, dismissive and attempted humour clearly went sour very quickly, I am glad to admit that for the first time in any such discussion I actually think I'm getting the idea (a bit) of what the arty folk see in some photos where I normally just see craft (or a seeming lack of it), and I found Alastair's comments in particular enlightening in his replies to Stewart's questioning

It was much clearer than I see in the RPS magazine where there is a lot of art photography and with explanations too where, sadly, despite knowing what every word means I often find it hard to understand what they mean when strung together

Although I know dozens of photographers very or pretty well, and have met hundreds over the years I can't think of a single one I know that shoots 'art' in the sense of the Taylor Wessing work as linked to in the other thread; and I'm happy to accept that as a failing of my camera club and pro background to photography, where no 'art' has ever been discussed

If such as Alastair, even Pookeyhead!, lived close enough I'd happily meet up for a beer and chat to be enlightened and hopefully get my own head from up my arse in this issue; but as they don't, a sub-forum might well be the next best thing :)

I promise to be nice & enquiring in future too, honest

Dave

I would like to state that I have no formal education in the Arts, I was just as much of a cynic as anyone else twenty years ago. What changed was I met (my now) wife and found that I was visiting galleries/exhibitions more regularly and being exposed to increasingly varies types/genres of art. Then at some point after photography became a larger part of my life I found I was interested in reading about photography, not just how-to guides but books by and about photographers that discussed what and why they were doing what they were doing. I also found a couple of very open-minded Flickr groups where Art wasn't a taboo subject. Unfortunately neither of those survived the Yahoo reforms of Flickr a few years ago. Interestingly they both had very restrictive rules that possibly enabled the open discussion - capped membership (+/-250), restricted photo posting (1 photo per day), admin steering groups that scheduled regular topics for debate and themes for photo discussion.

Dave (or anyone else), if you're interested I can suggest a very short watching/reading list of the sources I found most useful in understanding the art of photography:
  • Watch The Genius of Photography, an amazing series shown by the BBC several years ago and available on DVD
  • Read the accompanying book to The Genius of Photography, it's a companion book not a repeat of the material on the DVD
  • Read The Photograph as Contemporary Art by Charlotte Cotton and keep an open mind about every genre and photographer she discusses
Right now my bedside/smallest room reading is Reframing the New Topographics by Foster-Rice and Rohrbach, it's the sort of contemporary photography genre that appeals to me at the moment.

Looking back across at the original thread, "it might as well have been taken on a phone with an Instagram filter" is as much of a problem statement as deriding the art aspect. It's as though the forum is dominated by a thought pattern based around justifying expenditure on large collections of camera equipment. What's wrong with phones or Instagram?

Anyway, let me make a proposal and let's use that as a starting point for gauging interest and refining a project based loosely around the art of photography.

The book The Photograph As Contemporary Art by Charlotte Cotton is an inexpensive introduction (my 2009 New Edition has a £3.99 sticker on the front) and breaks things down into eight chapters (although the first is more of an introduction).
  1. If this is art
  2. Once upon a time
  3. Deadpan
  4. Something and nothing
  5. Intimate life
  6. Moments in history
  7. Revived and remade
  8. Physical and material
We could run a chapter per month/six weeks/until it runs out of steam as a thread for discussion ("I don't get it" would be a valid contribution as long as it's followed by "what am I missing?" and an attempt to understand), perhaps some sharing/discussion of images participants take in response to the chapter?

I'd certainly be interested in more discussion / links / etc on contemporary / artistic / idea based photography and also historical photography. Less interested in so called 'creative' photography e.g. Water splashes as that's more technique oriented.

I'm largely self taught, so have picked up quite a bit from the occasional threads on here that don't involve 'should I go full frame / best wide angle for Nikon / tips on shooting first wedding' etc

It seems to be out of print but still available for about a tenner https://www.amazon.co.uk/Photograph-Contemporary-Art-World/dp/0500204012 - I'd be up for somehting like that (y)

I've perused this in Waterstones a few times, and it was an interesting read.

I've also bought and watched/read both several times.
  • Watch The Genius of Photography, an amazing series shown by the BBC several years ago and available on DVD
  • Read the accompanying book to The Genius of Photography, it's a companion book not a repeat of the material on the DVD
I find some art, hard to understand. I often think, "Why don't I get this?". Often, my first reaction is, I have to say, 'what is that supposed to be?!", and then I'll look and have a think about it. Sometimes I then get it, but sometimes I still don't. I'd never call any art sh**e, though.

One of my favourite artists is/was the late Mark Rothko. I've had the pleasure of seeing several of his painting and on a few occasions I'd look at them for quite a long time, wonderful. While I'm on about Rothko, if you're interested this is a great documentary.

Anyway, I'll be back to read this thread again...cheers @sirch

I find some art, hard to understand. I often think, "Why don't I get this?". Often, my first reaction is, I have to say, 'what is that supposed to be?!", and then I'll look and have a think about it. Sometimes I then get it, but sometimes I still don't. I'd never call any art sh**e, though.

Nail- head.

For me, anything presented as art is an invitation to think.

You can, of course, decline the invitation.

I recommend the Cotton book anyway, but I'll have to have a quick skim read through over the next few days to make sure there's enough to "bite" at. Note, there are three editions of this book. It might be an excuse to update mine to the latest edition.

I'll also check the layout of TGOP book to see if that contains a useful structure.

By the way, any Marvel/movie fans should pay close attention to the backgrounds of Iron Man 2, there are a few significant works of contemporary photography hanging on walls - and I don't think it's accidental, I suspect there are some encoded meanings behind the choices. If nothing else it indicates a character that's up-to-date with art photography.

Looking back across at the original thread, "it might as well have been taken on a phone with an Instagram filter" is as much of a problem statement as deriding the art aspect. It's as though the forum is dominated by a thought pattern based around justifying expenditure on large collections of camera equipment. What's wrong with phones or Instagram?

Anyway, let me make a proposal and let's use that as a starting point for gauging interest and refining a project based loosely around the art of photography.

The book The Photograph As Contemporary Art by Charlotte Cotton is an inexpensive introduction (my 2009 New Edition has a £3.99 sticker on the front) and breaks things down into eight chapters (although the first is more of an introduction).
  1. If this is art
  2. Once upon a time
  3. Deadpan
  4. Something and nothing
  5. Intimate life
  6. Moments in history
  7. Revived and remade
  8. Physical and material
We could run a chapter per month/six weeks/until it runs out of steam as a thread for discussion ("I don't get it" would be a valid contribution as long as it's followed by "what am I missing?" and an attempt to understand), perhaps some sharing/discussion of images participants take in response to the chapter?

I would like to express my interest in this:)!
I've read through (groan!) the related threads from which this one has sprung. I do languages and photography, which I'm not very good at but it never bores me. My brother studied Art History. He took me to a Jackson Pollock exhibition at the National Gallery ("Jack the Dripper")! I saw splodges; my brother saw something else and because of the way he explained it, I did too.
Photography can be all sorts of things.
I'm "in" Alastair!
Food for thought (?)...
http://mentalfloss.com/article/57501/27-responses-question-what-art

Some (easy to understand) reading I'd suggest:

The Pleasures of Good Photographs - Gerry Badger
The Ongoing Moment - Geoff Dyer
Photography: A Very Short Introduction - Steve Edwards
Why it does not have to be in focus - Jackie Higgins
Approaching Photography - Paul Hill
On Being a Photographer - David Hurn and Bill Jay

Ongoing moment by Geoff dyer, brilliant book once you get past the first chapter. It pulls together so many reference, influences, brilliant book, and he's not a photographer!

Last edited:
Some interesting quotes there, this one might be regarded as damming with faint praise as far as photography is concerned ..

The imitator is a poor kind of creature. If the man who paints only the tree, or flower, or other surface he sees before him were an artist, the king of artists would be the photographer.

James McNeill Whistler (1834–1903)​

I had to read it a few times to get the point he is making. But the message I take from it is that for photography to be art it has to capture more than the scene in front of it.

It's been on my wish list for a while. Someone on the forum kindly donated to me the similar, Why Your 5 Year Old Could Not Have Done That by Susie Hodge.

It's linked on the other thread, and I would recommend anyone interested listens to the Grayson Perry Reith Lecture series. I need to put it on a stick to listen to in the car.

Photography by Liz wells
The photograph by graham Clarke
American photography by miles or Elle
The photograph as contempry art by Charlotte cotton
Context and narrative by Maria short
Behind the image by Anna fox

Then so many books, things like photo works, and so many books by artists, the Tate has a great bookshop with reduced books.

[QUOTE="Alastair, post: 7556883, ]

It's been on my wish list for a while. Someone on the forum kindly donated to me the similar, Why Your 5 Year Old Could Not Have Done That by Susie .[/QUOTE]

I have this, it's a good introduction, taking well known contempory art and trying to explain it in fairly simple terms.

Some (easy to understand) reading I'd suggest:

The Pleasures of Good Photographs - Gerry Badger
The Ongoing Moment - Geoff Dyer
Photography: A Very Short Introduction - Steve Edwards
Approaching Photography - Paul Hill
On Being a Photographer - David Hurn and Bill Jay

Good choices, I've read all or part of most of them.

I'd also recommend anything by Bruce Barnbaum or Brooks Jenson.

Beauty in Photography by Robert Adams is fairly accessible, but at the high end of my tolerance for photographic philosophy.

I have both "Why it does not have to be in focus" and "Why Your 5 Year Old Could Not Have Done That" and have read most of both of them. The In-Focus photography one is the better of the two IMHO but I have to say I found both a bit simplistic but then again they are meant to be an approachable starter guide I guess.

I have both "Why it does not have to be in focus" and "Why Your 5 Year Old Could Not Have Done That" and have read most of both of them. The In-Focus photography one is the better of the two IMHO but I have to say I found both a bit simplistic but then again they are meant to be an approachable starter guide I guess.

I have them both and found them interesting and useful. They're an enlightening place to start for a numpty like me with no formal training in the arts (or any prospect of doing a degree course).

What I've found is that through all this reading I'm getting insights and ideas about my own photography. I find them far more useful than books on technique, which bore me rigid. It's a bit like the difference between being given a map and being given a compass.

I'm up for an Art section, but it sounds like the request is art/photography, which seems to be already catered for.
Photography is but a minute speck on planet Art, and may or may not be relevant to discussions on it.

I tend not to examine modern art too closely. I just find much of it annoying. On the other hand, I spent a whole two days wandering around a Rembrandt exhibition in Amsterdam until my wife made me leave because she wanted to go and see something else.

Before I Reply to the quotes below - please note, while I AM answering as a moderator on the forum, informed by knowledge of certain behind the scenes intricacies of running this place, the opinions I give are mine, rather than an official TP "Party Line" - I don't own this place, I don't make the rules, and I'm as subject to their strictures as any other member...

I am interested in how we have reasonable grown-up debates on art related subjects with out all the trolls and people who have a low opinion of anything that isn't figurative painting. One idea might be to accept that such a section would be heavily moderated and make this clear at the top of the thread. Anything that does not add to the debate in a reasonable way (may be as indicated by a consensus of the thread) just gets deleted, along with anything referring to the deleted posts.

Problem with "heavy moderation" is that the only things we have to use as a "punishment" for trolling or being a cockwomble are "withdrawal" constraints... either "threadbanning" someone, or handing out "warning points" which can rapidly end up in getting sent to sit on the naughty step for a few hours/days/weeks... Now - I don't actually like doing that for people who basically just "don't get it" - because they are EXACTLY the people who NEED to be in the thread getting the education that their schooldays failed them on. Okay, there's always going to be a few utter philistines for whom getting sent to their room to think about what they've done is probably the best option - but I always kind of look on that as a failure on "our" part, in that we've simply not been able to get through to them...

Not sure how it would work tbh. It runs the risk of alienating folk or some being seen as elitist etc ... (the usual de-crying of the educated I think ... not that I am in matters relating to art).

If it was heavily moderated, then by who? The mods are already struggling from what I can see (no offence intended to them, I've done this and it isn't easy). If it was by invite only, how would that work? Who would decide they were fit for an arty discussion?

As above, I don't really like "heavy moderation" - and - lets face it, who's to say that the Moderator "on duty" at a given time isn't as big a philistine as the person who's "gobbing off"... We're a broad church in the staff-room, and reflect a fair amount of the spectrum of the membership (as we quite rightly should) - and I'm fairly sure a couple of my fellow mods have mentioned that they don't "get" a lot of the "arty stuff" - for my own part, I freely admit - there's a whole raft of stuff that I simply "don't get" - mainly "street photography" - but I've tried over the years to limit my responses from being "that just looks like someone pressed the shutter by accident whilst standing in the bus-stop" (which most street stuff looks like to me tbh!) and now I'll simply ask "what WERE you trying to say with this picture" - the problem is, some pictures DON'T work without a few words on WTF was going around the photographers brain as they pressed tbe button. I guess it's all tied in with the "losing the vocabulary" that was mentioned by Alastair in the thread this one spawned from...

Although I suggested it on the other thread, it was half tongue in cheek as I've already said in the past that I think there are far, far too many sections in the forum and the more sub-divisions that are created the more cliquey they tend to become and the poorer the forum is for it. I forget who it was said that there were only three genres in photography - people, places and things.

However, there are certain topics/subjects that are either orphans within the current set-up or seem to automatically attract what Oddball would call "negative waves" when discussed in the relevant section.
  • the art and/or philosophy of photography
  • discussion of some subjects/techniques falling under the forum banner "creative photography"
  • what might be called artistic processing, i.e. looks-like-film and other techniques frequently derided as shallow/temporary trends/fashions whenever they are asked about
  • phone photography and social media photography
  • the use of adapted lenses
But I'm not sure ghettoising the forum any further would be a positive step. I'd much rather tear down some of the existing walls, perhaps make better use of prefixes/tags to identify certain types of discussion without entirely removing them from normal forum conversation.

A better interim solution might be an "Caution - Art" prefix available in Talk Photography, to be understood as a flag to indicate that thinking before commenting is expected and moderated accordingly (i.e. with friendly behind the scenes nudges). It would also make such discussions easier to find/follow (or it would if we had decent system for searching/reading by tag/prefix).

I must admit, there IS a slight "lack of symmetry" in the omission of a "Talk Creative Techniques" to accompany the "Photos: Creative Techniques" - which would pretty much "sweep up" all but the "phone and social media" side of things (Sorry, I refuse to admit that applying an instagram filter or preset "faux film/polaroid"effect to anything suddenly makes it something creative... it just makes it.... "processed" ... and not necessarily in a good way.)

I do think that you're right though about the "ghetto" problem - there's a whole sub-section of members who barely emerge from certain sections (I'm thinking Film and Conventional as one area this is rife...) - and it's a shame, because they're really knowledgeable people who could be assets to the wider community.

I like the idea of an ART prefix (whilst I understand the "Caution - Art" may have been slightly tongue in cheek, saying that Art needs a Warning Notice is almost as depressing as how often these threads degenerate.)

I'll admit, I've little or no formal artistic training - the basic 3 years of art lessons back at the Grammar School, before I was shuffled off into a heavily science orientated "stream", nearest to anything artistic I did for the next couple of years being Technical Drawing (I wanted to be a "design engineer" at the time, and knowing basic draughtsmanship and understanding tech drawings was "a good career move") - the two things that slightly saved me from a complete non-artistic outlook were a 2 hour per week "art appreciation" class as part of my General Studies A Level - a hour of slideshow and lecture and a hour of study in the Art Class Library (or, looking through big picture books...) and having a best mate and climbing/mountaineering partner who was doing Art A-Level with a view to going to Study Film, Photography and TV for his degree... So, every walking/climbing trip became a photo-shoot, or a film-shoot, and, I became 2nd Cameraman (stills or film depending on what we were doing) - and, by doing this, in a situation I enjoyed (the climbing), I absorbed it, and learned things about it, and went out and studied for myself - partly for the joy of learning something new, and partly not to look a complete dork to my mate...

And, the learning side of it stuck with me - as did the appreciation of "classical art" and the references that you can bring into photography... Which is why when I was ill a few years ago, and unable to get out of the house much, I decided to go for still-life photography - and - quite naturally for me - I went with "classical references" - and got heavily into the whole Dutch "old masters" style of work - mainly, I'll admit because I loved the whole idea of being able to build in so many hidden references...

As to the creation of a "new section" - I'd be honest and say I think that there AUGHT to be a new "Talk Creative Techniques" to mirror the photo-section, and that possibly the "Art" discussions could find a home within this area... Though I'd still if I'm honest say that I don't entirely like the use of "Creative" in the section title, partly because a fair proportion of what's in that area tends, as often happens, to be a "Me too" attempt at a technique they've seen in there already... Often this CAN be a creative twist, but also it can be simply derivative... But my MAIN bugbear is that adding Creative to that forum sadly hints that perhaps the rest of the forums body of work ISN'T creative - and - I don't really like that idea... I'd hate to think that whatever I've posted outside of that "ghetto" has no spark of creativity, and I'm sure others think the same way...

As I say, my opinions only, not the views of "Da Management"... Probably not even representative of the majority of the Mod Team if I'm honest, but this whole debate is something that DOES matter to me...

I do think that you're right though about the "ghetto" problem - there's a whole sub-section of members who barely emerge from certain sections (I'm thinking Film and Conventional as one area this is rife...) - and it's a shame, because they're really knowledgeable people who could be assets to the wider community.

Oi, we look after Brian, what greater asset can one be!

Personally I swing between too many and not enough subsections. For this issue the general talk photography subsection should be enough if we could come to an understanding that anyone just trolling or being belligerent would kindly go back to the section of the forum where they are comfortable or a thread that actually does interest them. And generally speaking this works in the Ghettos, when the digifolk come round to F&C and start being difficult they're usually rounded on and sent on their way (politely) and I expect the same is true in the business ghetto and the birds ghetto. Maybe the problem is the general talk section attracts too many playa's from the different ghettos in the one place (I fear I've stretched that metaphor beyond its design stress parameters.)

I think the 'art' label is unnecessary. 'Talk Photography' should encompass talking about photography as art/art as photography. But it's such a heavily loaded word. ART. What's really being discussed is how photography works, how it can be used, what it means, and so forth. But for a lot of camera users none of that is of interest and they think it's pretentious b*****ks (which it can easily become) and all they want to do is make 'stunning' pictures, and/or play with complicated equipment (filters, lights, macro set ups...).

Of course this doesn't provide an answer other than plod on the way things are and hope that occasionally an 'art' thread might open someone's mind to the possibility that photography can be about more than getting 'explored' on Flickr.

Thanks for taking the time to give such a thoughtful and detailed response Mark.

Problem with "heavy moderation" is that the only things we have to use as a "punishment" for trolling or being a cockwomble are "withdrawal" constraints...

What I had in mind was just deleting the post, not suspending or banning anyone. People would soon give up being deliberately inflammatory if they knew their post was going to be deleted. I guess that somehting like a "Please delete post nnnnn" post with sufficient likes reported to the mods - i.e. a consensus of sorts on the particular thread - would be enough but it sounds like the whole concept is a non-starter, which is fine with me I was just floating ideas.

at the Grammar School
Please don't start that debate and some of us went to a secondary "modern" you insensitive clod :D

I think the idea of some sort of Art tag is a good one if we are not too have an art setction, somehting that says "we are serious about this, go an vadalise somehting else" Of course people may well want a Sport, Birds, whatever tag as well and then that becomes a maintenance issue for the Admins. May be it should be more general - e.g. an "Engage brain before typing" tag or a "Please don't p*** on this lawn" tag.

<Edit> May be just another Emoji would do it?

I think the idea of some sort of Art tag is a good one if we are not too have an art setction, somehting that says "we are serious about this, go an vadalise somehting else" Of course people may well want a Sport, Birds, whatever tag as well and then that becomes a maintenance issue for the Admins. May be it should be more general - e.g. an "Engage brain before typing" tag or a "Please don't p*** on this lawn" tag.

<Edit> May be just another Emoji would do it?
I would argue that if perhaps some people showed a little more maturity we wouldn't need a tag (or moderation etc, etc ...). :)

I would argue that if perhaps some people showed a little more maturity we wouldn't need a tag (or moderation etc, etc ...). :)

if there's one thing I've learned over the past 53 years it's never underestimate the general publics capacity for stupidity... :)

Back