Talk me OUT of buying a D7000

Edit My Images
Yes
My D40 was killed, RIP, and pretty much every thing I had with it, as such I had set my self up to replacing it with a D90, however finances had stopped me from splashing out.

I am now in a position where I can buy, however the D7000 is on the scene and from what I can see its a superior machine in pretty much every sense. Now I know I would be happy with a D90, and the £400 price difference means I can get a few nice accessories rather than just the D7000 and the 18-105 lens.

I know there are is still a lot of love for the D90, its a fine camera and will give me years of enjoyment, but its just the D7000 is a step above everything else I have seen for the price.

I won't be talking you out of it at all. I would however suggest a second hand one. I'm a pro tog and have NEVER bought a new camera right back to my first SLR a Canon AE1 (which I still own and still works fine) and right up to my D3. Of course I also have a D7000 hence posting a reply... it's a nice little camera

I really really want a D7000 and if you are in the position to get one you should.

Just think of it as an investment!

As soon as I find someone who's actually got them in stock a D7000 will be mine:clap:

or I'll go to grays of westminster at easter when I visit my daughter, if i can wait that long:nuts:

Mind you, read all threads on focusing issues with D7000:eek:, enough to make you think twice ( or not in my case :naughty:), never a problem with d5000

What are you going to take pictures of and will the features of a D7000 outperform those of a D90 for your purposes?:shrug:

Doesn't really matter what you're going to take pictures of...the D7000 can do the lot thanks to it's 39 point AF and matrix metering widget. It's a very, very good camera.

And the 18-105mm lens is good too, considering it's "just a kit lens". Very versatile, but I would look out because my first one was a little soft. It's replacement is much better and is sharper at f/5 than the original one was at f/8

I don't get it when people say "the D90 will do what I need it to do". The thing is, there may come a time when it won't. You can grow into the D7000 and it'll be a capable body for many years. If you can afford it...get it.

Oh...I was supposed to be talking you out of getting the D7000!? Sorry :p

Last edited:
Dont get a D90 or D7000....

Get a D400 / D800 when they come out, they're going to be even newer and shinier :whistle:

You know its a smart choice :LOL:

You lot are REALLY not helping lol

Well, perhaps pop down to jessops or somewhere like that to have a feel for, and a quick play with the different cameras to realise how much you actually dislike them. That should put you off buying in no time (y)

You cant expect a photography forum to talk you out of buying a camera :LOL:

Get D7000 if you can afford. Buying new means you have a new body and can do a new camera sniff test like The Fro lol. If you happy with used then that means you can add some better glass to the camera. I.e Nikon 35mm f1.8 or 50mm f1.8

The D7000 is one of the new sensor APC camera Nikon release. More likely the D300s replacement will use the same sensor. So the D7000 will last for ages before it get replace.

Would love to talk you out of buying a D7000...........but sadly I can't. Great camera and has plenty of features for you to grow into.
Do it, buy one, you know you want to.

wish jessops round here actually had a D7000 :bang: then I could play with it :D

Jessops Temple Row have D7000 in stock and on display to play with

I've just got a D90 more than enough to keep me happy. Yes I read the spec. and was torn by the D7000. However, the cost of the D7000 was unjustifiable. I wish it meant I had cash left for nice glass:-(

I can try and talk you out of buying a D7000 and talk you into buying a K-5? Cheaper yet better? :)

D400 coming out in few months but nikon releasing a beast next week Nikon d800 36mp supposely

Have you considered a d5100? Same sensor as d7000. Much cheaper and readily available.

Erictoh said:
I am still wondering of buying d7000 or d5100.. Hard to decide due to the prices

Depends on whether you want a smaller camera without built in motor, or a larger one costing £300 more. Image quality is the same but handling is different.

Hope you don't mind me joining your thread....
Having problem deciding here, too.
My main interests are dog sports (considerably fast moving animals), nature, landscape, but also portraits and all the basic stuff...
I'd be willing to pay more for d7000, because I've read it has 39 AF points, built in motor and much better handling options than for example d5100. (which is another camera ive been considering).
BUT here's the problem - I've been reading about focusing issues with d7000 and about oily spots etc. I'm a student, so I work hard to be able to afford a camera like that, but it'd be really disappointing if I chose this camera and after few weeks found out it needs to go to the service. Do you think Nikon already solved these issues?
Also because I've become kind of uncertain about my choice, I'm thinking about Canon now, too. Is there some semi-profi good quality Canon you'd recommend? Around the same price range like d5100/d7000? With Canon, Im worried about lenses for a change. I've heard Canon kit lenses aren't as good as Nikon kit lenses?! Plus which Canon lenses would you recommend for my purposes? :help: :)

Sorry for looooong ramble...... :bonk: I'm lost.

I was in this situation just over a year ago - buying my first DSLR and was deciding between the D90 and the new D7000. The £400 price difference was what made me go for the D90 and I've found it more than enough camera for what I want.

A few times I've wondered if I did the right thing, with the better high ISO handling ability of the D7000 as I do some low light photography - but I've been very happy with the D90.

If you can afford it, I'd say go for the D7000. If budget is tight and you could put the £400 towards a lens, you'll not be disappointed with the D90.

BUT here's the problem - I've been reading about focusing issues with d7000 and about oily spots etc. I'm a student, so I work hard to be able to afford a camera like that, but it'd be really disappointing if I chose this camera and after few weeks found out it needs to go to the service. Do you think Nikon already solved these issues?
I do know someone who bought a D7000 last summer to upgrade from a D5000 and it had the focusing issue. It was a disappointment for it to have to be sent back to be sorted, it does take a bit of the 'shiny new toy' edge off - though its sorted now and its fine.

Don't worry about which kit lenses are better (you'll probably soon be buying more lenses!) or even get too hung up on spec - find the make that you feel most comfortable with, that is intuitive to use. Try handling Canon, Nikon etc and see what it feels like in your hand.

So, has anyone bought a d7000 in say the last 8 weeks, does it still have problems? I have decided to go for the D7000 :D as an upgrade fron D5000, but don't fancy the hassle of returning for fixes - Surely Nikon must have noticed problems and done something about it, or are they too focused on the D4 and D800 :p ( sorry for pun )

So to be honest, unless you need high ISO performance, there are plenty of D200s/D90s/D80s etc. out there. It depends on your photography style. I can get great images form an old 10D with the right lens/flash usage at lower ISO(s).

D7000s are OK however mine does suffer back focus & oil spots. Neither of these things bother me personally as it's still possible to tweak back focus on lenses < 200mm, and I love bokeh, so never shoot f22 into the sun :). For some reason my manual focus lenses are spot on with focus confirmation. Weird.

I have a D90.
I've been toying with upgrading to a D7000 and almost bit when the price dropped to £800 recently.
Advantages:
Higher ISO - well, how far do you take that argument? I think the D90 range suits me fine, even gig photography is OK.
39 point AF - don't know about you guys but for 99.9% of my photographs I focus and recompose using the centre focus point only, then I know where the focus will be.
I quite like the 2 card trick but it is a "nice to have " for a hobbyist like me.

So, me, I'm going to wait a while longer for a new DSLR that is a huge leap forwards - perhaps one with decent video/live view.

The D90 is a fine camera and with the money you pocket you can buy glass, software and books/courses that will make a bigger difference to your photographic output, I think;)

Bottom line, either way you can't go wrong!

I have a D90.
I've been toying with upgrading to a D7000 and almost bit when the price dropped to £800 recently.
Advantages:
Higher ISO - well, how far do you take that argument? I think the D90 range suits me fine, even gig photography is OK.
39 point AF - don't know about you guys but for 99.9% of my photographs I focus and recompose using the centre focus point only, then I know where the focus will be.
I quite like the 2 card trick but it is a "nice to have " for a hobbyist like me.

So, me, I'm going to wait a while longer for a new DSLR that is a huge leap forwards - perhaps one with decent video/live view.

The D90 is a fine camera and with the money you pocket you can buy glass, software and books/courses that will make a bigger difference to your photographic output, I think;)

Bottom line, either way you can't go wrong!

+1

So, has anyone bought a d7000 in say the last 8 weeks, does it still have problems? I have decided to go for the D7000 :D as an upgrade fron D5000, but don't fancy the hassle of returning for fixes - Surely Nikon must have noticed problems and done something about it, or are they too focused on the D4 and D800 :p ( sorry for pun )

All cameras have copies that will have problems, failures, call it what you will.

New cars still go wrong, when others of the same make, model and year go forever without any problems. Cameras are no different. The D7000 has no more problems than any other body in reality. Yes there were a number of reported problems but that is the case with every camera body. It's generally problems that get reported not the non-failures :cautious:

As with any purchase, once you have it in your hands test it and if it's not right get it put right. Maybe I've just been lucky but never had any problems with any of my camera bodies whatsoever, in fact I've only ever had lens problems, and they have only been AF-S motors on larger lenses.

I think this sums it up for me, yes the D7000 is a much superior camera, but the extra's I can buy with a D90 (glass, better flash etc) can all be taken forward if I decide to jump to a D300S if I ever get good enough to warrant a more professional camera. If I get a D7000 I doubt I will ever justify the jump to an intro level pro camera, where as from a D90 it will be easier.

Does that make sense?

I think this sums it up for me, yes the D7000 is a much superior camera, but the extra's I can buy with a D90 (glass, better flash etc) can all be taken forward if I decide to jump to a D300S if I ever get good enough to warrant a more professional camera. If I get a D7000 I doubt I will ever justify the jump to an intro level pro camera, where as from a D90 it will be easier.

Does that make sense?

Then I'd jump the D300s if I were you, apart from a nicer sized body (in my opinion) you won't gain much tbh :shrug:

If not just get used D300. They should around £500 used, then buy better glass. Job done. I have both D7000 and D300 and I use the D300 as my main workhorse camera.

Back