Talk talk ..

What I can't work out is that we are both from the same exchange and I have little or no problems with my connection, so how does that happens
when we are both apparently on the same network ?

The cabinet that serves your area can be fed by more than one cable from the exchange. These cables can have different characteristics causing a difference, conductor size plays a part as does distance the cable routes.
This is not applicable when FTTC is utilised, even then the cables from the cabinet to the premises can differ, but the effects as a rule are less dramatic

BTW, I've found BT/openreach have a new product, FTTT. Which stands for Fibre To The Town. They prep the exchange for handling fibre, tick the box, then bugger off without connecting up any customers.

Which town was that? I know of one area that the council made so many objections that Openreach moved on without installing the Dslam cabinets

I recognise that page layout

Last edited:
I had similar issues with them, ombudsman was no real help
Surprisingly I've had a response from the Ombudsman asking for more specific details, times dates etc.

and the last line ... I wasn't expecting that, but I'll certainly hold out for something!

What you would like as a resolution to your complaint; this may include some practical action, an apology or an award to cover time and trouble.
Our most common time and trouble award is £50 and most awards are less than £100.

You should move to Cornwall, I`m with Talktalk, Fibre to nearby Box 200 Yards then Copper. Test tonight.View attachment 70686

Thats cos the EU paid for Cornwalls superfast broadband rollout as a deprived area, then wasn't it one of the highest areas voted for Brexit?

Anyhow, do you have to hide it in case the locals call you a witch?

Smugly sitting with TalkTalk, been years since anything has went wrong and just wangled half price for 12 months too!

I will admit that the overseas folk can be a pain when things do go wrong, but that has only been about 3 times since Freeserve days.

Can honestly say that on the few occasions I`ve had problems its been resolved very quickly over the Phone or had visit from Overreach next day when the Line has been faulty.

I also appreciate that others do get Problems.:wave:

been years since anything has went wrong
Your are lucky, Tesco was brilliant, for years, until TT started to take over Tesco's BB and since then nothing has gone right :(

Talk Talk - worst delivery of service - slow speeds, line down etc - I've ever experienced. Worst customer service I've ever experienced too. Best thing about changing when fibre arrived in my area (switched to BT) was that BT made the call to Talk Talk and I didn't even have to ring to cancel it. By that point I never wanted to have any dealings with them ever again.

Looking back I have no idea why I persisted as a customer for so long, wouldn't again even if they paid me (actually did feel like invoicing them for wasted time and asking for a refund for what they were charging me for but not delivering).

Last edited:
Looking back I have no idea why I persisted as a customer for so long,
I feel the same, but I'm reluctant to jump ship until I know that fibre is actually here.
Glad you got out (y)

How about these? the last 5 days at random times
02.08_20.41.jpg 14.08_14.14.jpg 15.08_19.42.jpg 17.08_ 10.27.jpg 17.08_11.11.jpg

If that was me, I would have changed to pigeons long since!
Every now and again, ( in the past) when I have emailed the CEO (Dido Harding) it hits 3+ Mbs ( which apparently is impossible for my line)
My argument is, they did it for a couple of months why is it so erratic ?

Oh and as above its about the last month since I really gave them what for, that the speeds have dropped to an all time low.

Every now and again, ( in the past) when I have emailed the CEO (Dido Harding) it hits 3+ Mbs ( which apparently is impossible for my line)
My argument is, they did it for a couple of months why is it so erratic ?

Oh and as above its about the last month since I really gave them what for, that the speeds have dropped to an all time low.

Still reckon you'd be faster with pigeons!

And finally ....

On return from my Jollies, I received this email from TT
(In part)
To keep bringing all of our customers more of what matters, like 100% unlimited broadband as standard,
we need to increase prices on your current TalkTalk package from 4th November 2016.

And all for the new bargain price of £22.31 ( + line rental) that's a price rise of £5 / month!
And that is for normal BB not even fibre !
To say that are having a laugh would be an understatement!
But how I laughed anyway.... Why may you ask?

Before my jollies, I had finally arranged for BT infinity 1.
So instead of the sub 1mbs from TT ( post #51) I now have 23.5mbs :)

And all this for the bargain price of £12/ month (y)
Up yours Talk Talk !

Up yours Talk Talk !

Frying pan ---> fire ;)

Up yours Talk Talk !

I still keep wavering :rolleyes:

Was the home-hub thingy, easy to set up?

Main reason I'm still deliberating is a friend had endless problems trying to get his set up (several years ago though) & I'm hopeless with owt techie. If it's just `plug & go` I'm gonna ring BT tomorrow. (y)

Frying pan ---> fire ;)
At more than 100x faster ( at its lowest) and half the price, I'm prepared to take the risk, no one I know has ever had any issues with BT.
However I know of a lot of people that have issues with TT.
And the ombudsman is well aware of my "issues" with them too.

The fact that TT told me there was nothing further they could do, and that I should swap suppliers, didn't help their defence with the ombudsman either :D

Was the home-hub thingy, easy to set up?
Plug and play (y)
BT emailed me to tell me I was up and running, which was a bit odd as I had "lost" connection for a few minutes, :D
So make sure you have another device to receive the email on,
I just connected the wires / power, the hub ran a check on itself for a couple of minutes ( the lights chance colour, its all rather pretty really)
and that was it :)

Apparently, if it doesn't connect there is an "on line", built in I guess, trouble shooter.
Again, I assume that its a manual configuration thingy.
Its all in the easy to understand manual that comes with it (y)

If this technophobe can do it, anyone can :)

Last edited:
I think my mind is now made up. (y) Cheers.

I'll blame you if it doesn't work! :p (then again, if it doesn't work I won't be able to :LOL: )

Got there in the end then, hope it was worth the wait, seems like ages since you first asked about BT fibre

Got there in the end then, hope it was worth the wait, seems like ages since you first asked about BT fibre
Cheers Rich, its actually been on going for approaching 3 years!
BT kept putting back the start date, turns out they had to build / install / commission a new cabinet.
They are not the quickest people on the planet it would seem :D

I remember giving you a website address to check on a service start date, that was shortly after I retired from BT which will be 3 years end of this month, at least you got there in the end, enjoy!!

Last edited:
Just done it online. Start date 28th (y)

Guaranteed minimum 40Mb & up to 55Mb :cool: (presently on 7.5 - 8.3)

Just done it online. Start date 28th (y)
Excellent :)

Guaranteed minimum 40Mb & up to 55Mb :cool:
Show off :D

I'm on the guaranteed minimum, (23mbs) for my area, apparently it'll fluctuate over the next couple of weeks and then settle to my "normal"
But I'm not supposed to get above 40Mbs, after months and months of crap service, 23mbs is making my head spin ....
I can live with that :D

Last edited:
tbh, this past couple of years TT have been fairly stable & 8Mb used to be ok for our needs most of the time, but 2 teenagers on laptops & I-pads etc is starting to p!55 me off. :mad:

I could have `upgraded` with TT, but after promising myself previously I would walk walk , you gave me the push I needed.

I set up a new g.mail acct a while ago, so I won't miss the old Tiscali email when it disappears (apart from using it for junk/enquiries etc)

If I'm not on TP @ the end of the month ........ help! :LOL:

Glad to have helped :)

How will we know though? you may have gone on holiday :D
Seriously, though, if I can "do it" anyone can (y)

I won't be on holiday ...... I've just come back! :LOL:

Hope it IS easy though, I'm hopeless with owt techie. :rolleyes: (19 days untill I find out)

Capture.JPG 1.JPG

Mmmmm, t'internet has been a bit slow today & not really thought much about it, but just done a speed test. (normally in the 7.5 - 8.3 Mb range)

Now call me a cynic, but I wonder if it's because TT have been notified we're leaving?

Now call me a cynic, but I wonder if it's because TT have been notified we're leaving?
Hmmmm...
Or just the normal TT crap service that you wouldn't have thought to check if I hadn't been bitching about them? :D

I'm not sure at what point BT notified TT, TBH. As TT were still sending me up dates etc. via emails the day before the switch.
Maybe hoping I'd stay? :D

Capture.JPG 2.JPG

Ha, just re-run the test ............... :wideyed:

I wonder if it's BT doing summat?

Ha, just re-run the test ............... :wideyed:

I wonder if it's BT doing summat?
Mine would fluctuate wildly, from 0.13mbs - 1mbs at all times of the day and night, I would suggest that its morons at TT p***ing about as usual :rolleyes:

Capture.JPG 1.JPG

How about this test from tea time!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wideyed:

Presumably BT messing about, but I suppose it could be TT. We got a message from them this morn saying they were sorry we were leaving bla blah & would be writing to let us know what we were missing. :rolleyes:

At least the last speed check shows we CAN get more than 10Mb even without fibre (unless they're connecting & trialling our fibre line at the cabinet)

Last edited:
At least the last speed check shows we CAN get more than 10Mb even without fibre
Blimey!
(unless they're connecting & trialling the fibre at the cabinet)
Possible I guess, but mine never did that in the interim !

We got a message from them this morn saying they were sorry we were leaving bla blah & would be writing to let us know what we were missing. :rolleyes:
LOL I got something similar when I was switching too,
My reply was short and to the point ...
(one word, 7 letters, hyphenated, began with F and ended with F :D )

I have been with talk talk since they started, and any problems which have been minor have been dealt with efficiently. Tho only major issue we have had is when we moved house in January last year. The previous owner was with talk talk and was, like me very pleased. We knew the phone and internet were working because we had emails and a phone call from the owner that day. As expected we could not use the phone or internet later that day as the line had to be transferred to us. Also we asked for fibre broadband to be activated. the phone was activated no problem but we were without the internet for 3 weeks which was totally open reaches fault. Numerous calls to talk talk were a waste of time as we were in the hands of open reach. I bumped into an open reach in town and asked him why the delay? His reply was that they were in total chaos. Despite this not being talk talk's problem I got a months refund.

My niece moved into a new build house in April this year, all the cabling was installed. Her phone and internet were finally sorted 4 months later. She needed the internet for job and it was very lucky that she hadn't sold her flat until after things were sorted or else she would have been stuffed. So for over 4 months she was paying two sets of bills to the same company which was BT. She got no compensation from them.

I have recently signed up to talk talk again for 18 months and have incorporated the cost of the line rental. The new annual cost with them is £444, the comparable cost with BT is £607.

Back