Talk talk ..

I have been with talk talk since they started, and any problems which have been minor have been dealt with efficiently. Tho only major issue we have had is when we moved house in January last year. The previous owner was with talk talk and was, like me very pleased. We knew the phone and internet were working because we had emails and a phone call from the owner that day. As expected we could not use the phone or internet later that day as the line had to be transferred to us. Also we asked for fibre broadband to be activated. the phone was activated no problem but we were without the internet for 3 weeks which was totally open reaches fault. Numerous calls to talk talk were a waste of time as we were in the hands of open reach. I bumped into an open reach in town and asked him why the delay? His reply was that they were in total chaos. Despite this not being talk talk's problem I got a months refund.

My niece moved into a new build house in April this year, all the cabling was installed. Her phone and internet were finally sorted 4 months later. She needed the internet for job and it was very lucky that she hadn't sold her flat until after things were sorted or else she would have been stuffed. So for over 4 months she was paying two sets of bills to the same company which was BT. She got no compensation from them.

I have recently signed up to talk talk again for 18 months and have incorporated the cost of the line rental. The new annual cost with them is £444, the comparable cost with BT is £607.
Still, there's a reason why TT are the most complained about, and most heavily fined telecommunications company in the UK, no doubt. :)

Happy that you're OK with them & haven't had any real problems. (y)

The new annual cost with them is £444, the comparable cost with BT is £607.

If they offered me free fibre B/band for a year ................. I'd still leave em! ;)

Dealt on behalf of Openreach with Dido Harding the ceo of TT a couple of times, very professional, only wish my dealings with their customer services re my late mothers account had been as straightforward.

Had a final reminder a year after her death even though the final bill was paid in full when her estate was settled ten months previously, very classy indeed

And finally ....

On return from my Jollies, I received this email from TT
(In part)
To keep bringing all of our customers more of what matters, like 100% unlimited broadband as standard,
we need to increase prices on your current TalkTalk package from 4th November 2016.

And all for the new bargain price of £22.31 ( + line rental) that's a price rise of £5 / month!
And that is for normal BB not even fibre !
To say that are having a laugh would be an understatement!
But how I laughed anyway.... Why may you ask?

Before my jollies, I had finally arranged for BT infinity 1.
So instead of the sub 1mbs from TT ( post #51) I now have 23.5mbs :)

And all this for the bargain price of £12/ month (y)
Up yours Talk Talk !

Last edited:
I have been with talk talk since they started, and any problems which have been minor have been dealt with efficiently.
I was forced onto TT when they bought out Tesco BB, and I have found the total opposite to you.
Still, there's a reason why TT are the most complained about, and most heavily fined telecommunications company in the UK, no doubt. :)
At least they seem to have one happy customer :D

have recently signed up to talk talk again for 18 months and have incorporated the cost of the line rental. The new annual cost with them is £444, the comparable cost with BT is £607.
I'm paying BT £372 for a years contract, fibre and line

Dealt on behalf of Openreach with Dido Harding the ceo of TT a couple of times, very professional,
I used to email her quite regularly, when the problems started, and as you said, her replies were very professional and helpful.
Its when she got fed up with me and passed me on to "other people" that I also found the customer service to be really crap :(

If they offered me free fibre B/band for a year ................. I'd still leave em! ;)
Same here !
They have never offered me any form of compensation, and even claimed I closed the case, when the the communications ombudsman contacted them,
when the truth was, they (TT) told me to find another supplier, the case is on going.

and even claimed I closed the case,

They did with me 3 times when we had issues - connection continually dropping off, speed steadily decreasing to 0.3 Mb eventually, getting them to disable DLM.............
I used their online help numerous times + their `forum` where you had to wait a couple of days for a reply.

I even tried their `ringback` service twice where they gave you a 4 hr slot when they would ring you back from the Indian customer service centre. (n)
Not sure how they do it, o_O but each time our phone rang once (just a single ring) but they'd managed to leave a message & they deemed that as `case closed` because we didn't answer. :mad:

It wasn't until I was given Dido/s phone number & email addy that things improved over the following 2 weeks.

I actually think they maybe aren't quite as bad as they were, but the 9 months of pure frustration, then anger I'd endured, made my mind up tbh & I rarely hear good reports about em.

Edit to add; I think we've had a couple of free months over the years we've been with them (from the Tiscali days)

Last edited:
Not sure how they do it, o_O but each time our phone rang once (just a single ring) but they'd managed to leave a message & they deemed that as `case closed` because we didn't answer. :mad:

They tried to ring me also, even when I told them there was no LL attached to that number, and you certainly aint getting my mobile number!, no sales callers do.
I want you to reply via email, as that's written proof of what's said on both sides, and not some "we may record this for training purposes message" that can disappear if you don't like what's being said.

It wasn't until I was given Dido/s phone number & email addy that things improved over the following 2 weeks.
That perked things up for a couple of weeks for me too, but it wasn't long before it was on a steady decline again. 0.13 was the slowest I recorded!

Edit to add; I think we've had a couple of free months over the years we've been with them (from the Tiscali days)
Never had a thing from them even during one period, when I complained about the speeds and a week of constant drop off's, telling them that their fees were outrageous,
as was the service.

Never had any problem from Talktalk been with them from their start, yes had a problem or 2 but cleared OK.

I'm on the super fast G trial with Talktalk and can get a download speed of 177.53 Mb/s upload 42.05. On my faster fibre router it is a tad over 40Mb/. By far they are the cheapest provider for me but they drive me crazy. I hate having to communicate with them.

I had a new contract in July where we agreed I would pay £27 per month - two months in they tell me that I have to pay £28.05 for 18 months or else leave. They also tried to charge me a £25 (discounted from £50) connection charge. When I try to explain that I don't need any more lines connecting they argue the toss but eventually back down. A threat to go to OFCOM is soundly ignored as they know OFCOM have too many requirements to make an effective complaints a consumer.

They have compromised my details three times and I really wish that my scruples were higher and I would actually leave them.

I had a new contract in July where we agreed I would pay £27 per month - two months in they tell me that I have to pay £28.05 for 18 months or else leave. They also tried to charge me a £25 (discounted from £50) connection charge.
You may have missed an earlier post, I pay ( was paying) an outrageous £17 odd for basic, crap, very unstable BB.
after I left I received an email telling me that price is increasing to £22 odd a year "so everyone can get the service they deserve"
FFS! Having a laugh doesn't even come close! And that price doesn't include line rental.

I really wish that my scruples were higher and I would actually leave them.
Do yourself a favour before it really goes tits up ...

I hate to say anything nice about Talktalk - I really do - but my package does include anytime calls to any UK number and will actually make my bills cheaper. It is difficult to pay may for less but with TT if you don't have a problem they are great. If you have a problem though.....

TT if you don't have a problem they are great.
One size obviously doesn't fit all, if you have the deal you want, then good on you (y)

If you have a problem though.....
Unfortunately, that does seem to be the rule rather than the exception, but as above, if its working for you then (y)

We didn't have any issues with TT in our old flat or our house for about 4 years service.

In the last 3 months the speed has bombed and often a plain text page won't load for 5 or 10 minutes (router says connected but not any traffic up or down) - funnily enough we got an email 3 months and a week ago about fibre finally being available in our area and were we interested in upgrading.

There may be a correlation there...

There may be a correlation there...
If I were a suspicious person ..... ;)

we got an email 3 months and a week ago about fibre finally being available in our area and were we interested in upgrading.
If you are thinking about it, double check, they said the same to me, a couple of months ago, when it wasn't.
It turns out, at that time, the new required cabinet hadn't actually been built (by BT) :D

The thing is that a person with issues is not going to like whatever company is causing them pain. The actual service I get from TT is great broadband at 170mb/s for £28 a month is undeniably good if you like to use a fast service. They do cause a huge amount of pain when something goes wrong but I guess that is part of the service I pay for.

I remember BT seemingly going out their way to sucsessfull p*** me off in the past.

If I were a suspicious person ..... ;)

If you are thinking about it, double check, they said the same to me, a couple of months ago, when it wasn't.
It turns out, at that time, the new required cabinet hadn't actually been built (by BT) :D

The cabinet is definitely there, other people have contacted us to upgrade once our current contract is up.

I might give TT the benefit of the doubt, the service has degraded slowly but steadily over those 3 months so it might be other people switching to fibre and leeching more of the bandwidth and not leaving much for those of us who haven't yet upgraded.

Or they might be throttling us to make us upgrade ;)

You can leave tt without any penalties because of the up-coming price rises. I called them yesterday to confirm this.
I'll probably be going back to sky.

The cabinet is definitely there
That's a bonus :D

You can leave tt without any penalties because of the up-coming price rises
Did you get the same email I did? they are increasing prices to allow everyone to get the BB service they deserve, I nearly wet myself at that one :D

Or they might be throttling us to make us upgrade ;)
Hang in there, if they are to be believed ( Ha!) you will soon get the service you deserve ( as above) :D

Capture.JPG5.JPG After lunch today I was really struggling to load anything on the PC. It went on for about 20 mins so did a speed test (took several attempts to complete)

Last edited:
20 mins later I did it again :wideyed:Capture.JPG6.JPG

I presume it was BT sorting summat ready for my fibre in 3 days time. :cool:

Those numbers are odd. Who are you with and what service?

It went on for about 20 mins so did a speed test (took several attempts to complete)
I was getting a lot of that as well,

Yep VERY odd.
Very odd indeed!

but switch over to BT in 2 days.
And counting (y)

Mine seems to have settled on this, not the fastest in the world but I knew I'd be lucky to get 30mbs.
Due to the old copper wiring ..
This does everything I need (y)

26.08Mb Download speed
7.07Mb upload
65ms ping time

Home hub arrived yesterday.

'tinternet went off at 10am today. Left it for an hour then plugged in the new BT hub...............35Mb straight away! yaaaay (y)

(i'll wait for SWMBO to set up wi-fi etc this eve. I'm alright jack :cool: )

Damn, it's dropped to 27 now. :rolleyes:

Hopefully it'll settle around the 40 mark in a few days. :cool:
Mine started at 24, dropped to 23 and seems to be settled at 26.5.
even at so called peak times and with my son either playing on line games or streaming movies.
So I'm not expecting any massive fluctuations 3 weeks on...
I'm still happy :)

So my first gripe with BT !
Come home from work and the hub us flashing green, no connection :(
Get online with BT fon and go through the checks, even replacing the filters, still nothing :(
So do I want an engineer to call at a price of £129, WTF no I want you to sort it.
Leave the site and get a notification that they are looking into my problem, 15 mins later
connection is back :thinking: and no engineer knocked on the door :)

So my first gripe with BT !
Mine hiccuped Sunday, for about 10 minutes, it re-booted it self and back up to normal.

As an aside I mentioned in a couple of other threads, I contacted the ombudsmen about the shodddy service..
It went from me sending in info .. ( emails between me and TT, and data, regarding speeds / times dates etc.)
to looking at info ...
To raising a case ..
To investigating the case ..
And just today assigning an investigations officer and instructions not to contact them until they contact me... WTF? ... thats what I've been doing ..

Talk about bureaucracy!

Mine hiccuped Sunday, for about 10 minutes, it re-booted it self and back up to normal.

Had that before so don't normally worry too much, usually caused by an update, but on this occasion as I had a choice of BT hubs to connect too it seemed it was just me
and for a couple of hours after I got home !!! Still ok atm (y)

As an aside I mentioned in a couple of other threads, I contacted the ombudsmen about the shodddy service..
It went from me sending in info .. ( emails between me and TT, and data, regarding speeds / times dates etc.)
to looking at info ...
To raising a case ..
To investigating the case ..
And just today assigning an investigations officer and instructions not to contact them until they contact me... WTF? ... thats what I've been doing ..

Talk about bureaucracy!

Now say that in plain english :)

Now say that in plain english :)
Better?
Como un aparte que mencioné en un par de otros hilos, me puse en contacto con los ombudsman sobre el servicio shodddy ..
Pasó de mí el envío de información .. (mensajes de correo electrónico entre yo y TT, y los datos, con respecto a las velocidades / veces fechas, etc)
A mirar la información ...
Para levantar un caso ..
A investigar el caso ..
Y hoy mismo asignar un oficial de investigaciones y las instrucciones para no contactar con ellos hasta que me contacten ... ¿WTF? Eso es lo que he estado haciendo

¡Habla de burocracia!

I could put it twice and make it double still makes no sense :p

Tussen haakjes ik in een paar andere threads genoemd, ik contact opgenomen met de ombudsmannen van het shodddy service .. Het ging van me in te sturen info .. (emails tussen mij en TT, en de gegevens met betrekking tot snelheden / tijden data etc.) te kijken naar informatie ... Aan het verhogen van een zaak .. Om onderzoek van de zaak .. En net het toewijzen van vandaag een auditeur en instructies niet om contact met hen totdat ze contact met mij ... WTF? ... Dat is wat ik heb gedaan .. Praten over de bureaucratie

Better?
Como un aparte que mencioné en un par de otros hilos, me puse en contacto con los ombudsman sobre el servicio shodddy ..
Pasó de mí el envío de información .. (mensajes de correo electrónico entre yo y TT, y los datos, con respecto a las velocidades / veces fechas, etc)
A mirar la información ...
Para levantar un caso ..
A investigar el caso ..
Y hoy mismo asignar un oficial de investigaciones y las instrucciones para no contactar con ellos hasta que me contacten ... ¿WTF? Eso es lo que he estado haciendo

¡Habla de burocracia!
There are many similarities between Spanish and Italian, it appears. Many differences as well, but I could read a lot of that.

Haha, got an email from TT saying my price would be increasing to £22.31 from 1st December. Err, no it won't!

I'm fairly happy with the 33.47 I'm getting with BT,as opposed to the 7.3 previously. :cool:

Haha, got an email from TT saying my price would be increasing to £22.31 from 1st December. Err, no it won't!
:D

BTW log into your TT account, they won't tell you, but you could be in for a refund, on the amount you paid before, but for the amount after you switched, if you see what I mean.

It'll say under your account, details, if you are due one.

I got £15 back :D

Just checked cheers. (y) They owe me the grand total of ........... £1.61

If they want to pay it back into the bank they can, but tbh I'm not going to claim it, just in case it causes their accts dept a bit of hassle. (we'd already cancelled the DD payment with the bank a couple of weeks ago, just in case they took another monthly payment by mistake)

They owe me the grand total of ........... £1.61
That'll buy you a donut at least (y) :D

If they want to pay it back into the bank they can,
They won't I'm afraid, you have to claim it, then you get an email saying they are reviewing your case :D
Mine took a couple of days to come through, and I only found out by accident too.

Back